Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 07:03

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/169/135 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Wacky Scale

What do you if your scale is wacky? I stepped on it several times and got a different weight each time. I moved it to another spot and got on several times and got a different number each time. I am on a tiled surface and I think it is level. I mean it seems level to me. Should I just give it up?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 07:33

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

How big is the swing? If it's a pound or so that's probably normal. If it's bigger than that, you may need a new scale.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 07:36
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

If it's digital maybe try a new battery?

I'm still using my 30 + yo analog scale and it's been my best friend and worse enemy...but at least it's 100% accurate and I don't stress over decimal points!

Even weighs me 3 lbs more than at my doctor's office!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 10:51

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

If it's a digital, it could be anything: battery, leveling, evil spirits.

The cleaners move my digital every other week, so it gets cranky. Even so, I hate it because it doesn't change. The fact is, I think it has a memory. It records weight in tenths of a pound. But I think it "remembers" the last weight, and if the difference isn't much, it just stays the same. It's not possible that my body weighs the same day after day, and at different times of day, to the tenth of a pound. Still, it's the relative number over time that matters. Probably in changes either way of at least 4 lbs. I try not to get hung up on this.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 10:55

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
If it's digital maybe try a new battery?

I'm still using my 30 + yo analog scale and it's been my best friend and worse enemy...but at least it's 100% accurate and I don't stress over decimal points!

Even weighs me 3 lbs more than at my doctor's office!

Not stressing over decimals is another double edged sword. A daily weigher like myself gets encouragement over ounces being shown but it feels like you have to lose ten pounds to come down just one. Mine had run-down batteries and weighed both my sister and me at 11 or 12 pounds lighter overnight. What WHOOSH!!! So I replaced my batteries and I'm now 5 pounds up. I picked up a 25 lb. weight plate and stepped back on. It still didn't come out to the new reading plus 25.
edited: I couldn't remember the exact amount it showed me when I first stepped on so I weighed again and it showed me more what I would expect. I then picked the plate back up and weighed and it was .2 light, based on the weight it showed me when I stepped on the last time.

Last edited by CallmeAnn : Sat, Apr-09-16 at 11:41.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 12:28
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallmeAnn
Not stressing over decimals is another double edged sword. A daily weigher like myself gets encouragement over ounces being shown but it feels like you have to lose ten pounds to come down just one. Mine had run-down batteries and weighed both my sister and me at 11 or 12 pounds lighter overnight. What WHOOSH!!! So I replaced my batteries and I'm now 5 pounds up. I picked up a 25 lb. weight plate and stepped back on. It still didn't come out to the new reading plus 25.
edited: I couldn't remember the exact amount it showed me when I first stepped on so I weighed again and it showed me more what I would expect. I then picked the plate back up and weighed and it was .2 light, based on the weight it showed me when I stepped on the last time.
You're correct decimal points are a double edged sword! Like you, I'm a daily weigher just cause that's a routine that keeps me successful.

I don't concern my self with fluctuations. I can weigh 2 lbs up or down from 115 lbs on any given day but since I eat 100% OP every day.. the body does what the body does...

I am so NOT going stress over that demonic infernal contraption we call a scale...
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 12:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

My scale is digital. And weighs in .2 lbs. But, unless there's a swing up or down by .6 or more, it jumps back to the previous reading.

Now that I know that, though, I can watch it. If it sits at a lower weight before settling back at the higher, then I know it's moving.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 12:55
Registered Member

Stats: 182/165/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
If it's a digital, it could be anything: battery, leveling, evil spirits.

Exactly!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 13:05

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Scales are hilarious. I weighed at 7 am this morning at 165. Then I slept some more and weighed at 9:00 am (before breakfast) and was 166. Whatever. Just keep eating OP Maycan, and that scale will eventually go in the right direction.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 13:12
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekRibs
Scales are hilarious. I weighed at 7 am this morning at 165. Then I slept some more and weighed at 9:00 am (before breakfast) and was 166. Whatever. Just keep eating OP Maycan, and that scale will eventually go in the right direction.
Well said, GR!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 14:14

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 180/169/135 Female 61 in.
BF:
Progress: 24%

It is a digital scale. It is showing differences of many pounds. I got on the scale on Thursday (I think) and I weighed 161.2. I didn't believe it. I didn't think it was possible to go from 178 -to 161 in 11 days. When I weighed this morning it hopped around between 166 and 176ish.

I never thought about the battery. I think I'll check that and then go from there. I am not upset about the number. It feels so great to be in control of food that I would be fine with the highest number I saw (176.something). It would just be nice to have an accurate number.

Last edited by maycan : Sat, Apr-09-16 at 14:25.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 14:16
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycan
It is a digital scale. It is showing differences of many pounds. I got on the scale on Thursday (I think) and I weighed 161.2. I didn't believe it. I didn't think it was possible to go from 178 -to 161 in 11 days. When I weighed this morning it hopped around between 166 and 176ish.

I never thought about the battery. I think I'll check that and then go from there. I am not upset about the number. It feels so great to be in control of food that I would fine with the highest number I saw (176.something). It would just be nice to have an accurate number.
Of course it would be nice to have an accurate number! I hope you get the gremlins out of your scale...
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 14:38
Registered Member

Stats: 182/165/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Our digital scale was on the fritz and didn't improve after changing the battery. I finally contacted the company and they told me how to reset it. When that didn't work they sent a replacement. Idk what kind of scale you have, or how long you've had it, but it might be worth a call to the company if the battery change doesn't fix the problem.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-16, 16:10

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
My scale is digital. And weighs in .2 lbs. But, unless there's a swing up or down by .6 or more, it jumps back to the previous reading.

Now that I know that, though, I can watch it. If it sits at a lower weight before settling back at the higher, then I know it's moving.

Well I'll be danged! It's possible that's why some folks on the daily weigh-in threads I participate in have the same weight day after day after day. I think to myself how is that even possible!? I am very impressed that they can do this! My body has a wild variety of opinions of what it wants to weigh in the morning that I've decided to kind of not take to seriously it's only voice, the scale

My scale is one that I bought because at one point I was over 350 lbs. It has a 600lbs capacity can output in lbs and kg - it's also farily expensive. I've got it set to kg and still it's completely by CHANCE that I weigh the same from one day to the next. here's an example: http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

So for the original poster, if you are REALLY concerned about the number on the scale or need very fine resolution and accuracy, I believe you should spend some money on a good scale, if you don't attach to the number so much, and this is a good thing in my opinion, tune up the one you have or find a replacement.

Here's a test; weight of three iron plates, weight of my body, weight of both:

Iron Weight

Man Weight

"I... AAAMMM...... IRONMAN......!!!!"

IRONMAN was flashing 142.0 but I couldn't hold steady with 30lbs of plates in my left hand. you'll see the little "~" tilde on the display with a triagle over it. That indicates the weight is till fluxing around, not steady heh
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Apr-10-16, 09:38

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

When my digital scale seems to get stuck on one number, I stand with one foot on the floor and place the other heel on the scale and hold it steady while the scale measures the weight of this ~54-lb "child". Then I weigh myself after this knocks the scale out of its rut.