Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 22:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/151/130
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default thickners

Hi everyone

It's great to see an Aussie/NZ L/C community slowly growing - it's not as easy to get l/c products here as it is in other parts of the world.

I am wondering in anyone knows of a l/c thickening agent for casseroles and soups...

Thanks heaps and keep low carbing.

Nuttymum
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 02:08

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

i use soy flour, not much though as it does not taste to great and the flavor is strong!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 05:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Here's a couple of ideas/thoughts:

Cook your liquid down a bit to concentrate the flavours and then add some heavy whipping cream.

Soy flour thickens at first, then if you continue to cook it, it breaks down and goes "liquid" again.

Another experiement: Egg yolks make great thickener. Cool your liquid slightly and slowly add a beaten egg yolk, then reheat until thick.

If you can handle a small carb count, use unbleached stone ground flour (less processed than the bleached stuff), and do the count so you know how many carbs you're taking in.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 19:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/156/147
BF:
Progress:

Im in NZ & read a LC recipe for Maple syrup which used a thickening product called "Thick & Thin". I then noticed that the Local hospital sold it in their Pharmacy. Its very low in carbs. Hope this helps...

M B
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 20:37

Plan: FatLoCity
Stats: 85/80/60
BF:
Progress: 20%

i am in australia and i hope that it is avalible here!!!!!
who is it made by??

and did the l/c maple have mayple essence in it cos i cant find that here. I LOVE maple syrup!

did you buy the thickener?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 14:14

Stats: 169/156/147
BF:
Progress:
Default Thick & Easy

Yes the recipe said Imitation Maple Syrup (no sugar kind). But I havent looked that hard to find it.
Actually it was called Thick & Easy (sorry) and its made by Hormel. I will buy it when I have the urge for pancakes and maple syrup.
Heres a link with some info...

http://www.hormelhealthlabs.com/dysphagia/
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Plan from my Doctor
Stats: 209/187/127
BF:
Progress: 27%

To thicken gravies and stews ect I use guar gum available from healt food shops and is carb free.
Regards Karni
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-21-01, 23:29

BF:
Talking thanks guys

Thanks heaps guys. You have been a great help, I will have a look around for the products you mentioned and say goodbye to watery stews.

Nuttymum
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-16-02, 03:07

Stats: 655/575/58
BF:
Progress: 61%
Default Guar Gum

Just to let you know that I tried the Guar Gum. Was excited when I saw how it thickened, however it's overpowering taste and "gumminess" ruined the whole meal.

I won't be using it again.

I just wish we had a LC cornflour or similar here in Oz. Please let me know if anyone finds one somewhere.

Dianne
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 01:28

BF:

Dianne

Thanks so much for letting me know about the gum - I was going to try it as soon as I went to town (we live four hours from civilisation). I use arrowroot at the moment (9 carbs per tablespoon) which is better than corn flour but would love something more low in carbs.

Nuttymum
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-02, 05:08
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 235/193/128
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hi All You Aussie and NZ Low Carbers!

I love guar gum! I buy a brand called "Benefibre" from Safeway/Woolworths. It has no flavour and I add it to my coffee each morning for its other "benefits" (LDL cholesterol lowering and assistance with "regularity")

I also use soy flour but add a small addition of cornflour to make white sauces, and eggs to make custard. The soy flour is great for cheese sauce as the cheese and the soy taste great together. I don't know how it would be in a sweet sauce.

I wondered if finely ground psyllium would be any good. Has anyone tried it? Might be a project for the weekend!

Gemma
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 21:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 265/240/155 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I've used Guar Gum in the crock pot to thicken watery sauces towards the end of cooking time. A little goes a very long way. It gets thicker the longer it sits. To some broth or liquid, add a teaspoon or less depending on how much liquid you want to thicken. Then add to the pot. The first time I used it I used way too much and you get slime, but with a little experimentation you can have a nicely thickend sauce without the carbs.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 06:53

Stats: 236.5/232.1/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

Try using Xantha Gum, but the trick is to put it in a salt shaker and sprinkle it on... stir and give it 5 mins or so . then if its not thick enough add abit more..

It wont gum up that way