Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 06:29

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota

Artificial sweeteners induce glucose intolerance by altering the gut microbiota:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature13793

The weighty costs of non-caloric sweeteners:
https://www.nature.com/articles/nature13752
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 07:05

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Good timing, I'm working this first quarter of the year to eliminate NAS - I did succumb yesterday and had 2 cans of sports drink. Thanks for posting.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 15:12

BF:
Default A Diet soda occasionally won't kill ya or will it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Good timing, I'm working this first quarter of the year to eliminate NAS - I did succumb yesterday and had 2 cans of sports drink. Thanks for posting.

Good for you. I was afraid this post would cause a storm.
I have still had a diet soda occasionally, or on vacations but can't really handle the metal taste and that my stomach gets upset from NAS. I either skip sweeteners all together or wait till my RM (reward meal) and have a little trad. sugar/honey/maple syrup/birch sugar/agave .. and hold back at my crave reduction meals (CM).

It was hard to find this thread again. I was starting to wonder it the FDA had taken it down LOL.

Last edited by Happy girl : Sun, Jan-24-21 at 15:25.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-21, 15:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I get along with stevia and monkfruit. Not artificial, I think?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-21, 04:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is an old study from 2014. You can find studies on both sides of the argument...it’s a personal decision if it works for you or not.

A new study in July 2020 of 26 huge randomized control trials found no adverse impact on either glucose or insulin response.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/artic...edFrom=fulltext
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-21, 06:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

One element that can disrupt bowl flora is how that laxative effect is caused by large molecules that can't get digested.

A moment on the lips, a lot of pain in the hips
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-21, 12:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
One element that can disrupt bowl flora is how that laxative effect is caused by large molecules that can't get digested.

A moment on the lips, a lot of pain in the hips

I was going to make a snarky comment about all the ways AS can alter the gut...but you nailed it in a much nicer way.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-21, 13:34

BF:
Default Monk Fruit

Thanks WereBear,

Would love to try a Munk fruit soda.
We don't have the monk fruit sugar available here in Sweden yet.
What does it taste like when used as it is? In whipped cream f. i.?

Eagerly looking forward to experiment with summer beverages - LC slush ice, whipped cream and soda.
Love it. And milk and lemon shakes. Yummy and as healthy as possible.

Posted a thread about birch sugar (I used the gum for years, good for your teeth).
I only have it at the end of a main meal on occasion now. I am very careful with NAS and my precious gut flora.
I have been healed from gluten intolerance and many more issues I had in the past, thank God.

Xylitol/Birch Sugar - Recipes, Pros & Cons?
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484755

I have tried agave* (GI of 17) soda once. It was very tasty.

Last edited by Happy girl : Mon, Jan-25-21 at 15:05.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-21, 15:44

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
This is an old study from 2014. You can find studies on both sides of the argument...it’s a personal decision if it works for you or not.

A new study in July 2020 of 26 huge randomized control trials found no adverse impact on either glucose or insulin response.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/artic...edFrom=fulltext

Nice to see this newer study's results. I do regularly use some AS's. Not suggesting they're health foods or don't possibly mess with gut flora but for my body caloric sweeteners aren't okay and I'm not willing to live with only unsweetened foods the rest of my life so living life on the edge.... I personally haven't observed any difference in blood sugar, cravings or that sort of thing brought on by my AS use. If I eat even a tiny mandarin orange (I no longer do) my body screams "that's SUGAR!" and wants me to face-plant into the bowl to get at the rest. Same for one slice of watermelon. Super sweet artificially sweetened stuff? Nope. It knows somehow that stuff's not real and isn't tempted to go off the rails. YMMV.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-25-21, 22:30

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

For me, weight loss is easier without AS sodas. Using sugar free jello also helps.....so go figure.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-26-21, 04:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Nice to see this newer study's results. I do regularly use some AS's. Not suggesting they're health foods or don't possibly mess with gut flora but for my body caloric sweeteners aren't okay and I'm not willing to live with only unsweetened foods the rest of my life so living life on the edge.... I personally haven't observed any difference in blood sugar, cravings or that sort of thing brought on by my AS use. If I eat even a tiny mandarin orange (I no longer do) my body screams "that's SUGAR!" and wants me to face-plant into the bowl to get at the rest. Same for one slice of watermelon. Super sweet artificially sweetened stuff? Nope. It knows somehow that stuff's not real and isn't tempted to go off the rails. YMMV.

What I do on Facebook when in these discussions of "AS raises insulin and blood glucose" is post a photo of Dr Richard Bernstein, an 85 year old T1 diabetic, holding a can of Diet Sunkist orange soda in front of his face.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-21, 11:06

BF:
Default Jello & Diet Soda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
For me, weight loss is easier without AS sodas. Using sugar free jello also helps.....so go figure.

Think Jello has 2% less sodium than soda?

Diet Coke: Carbonated Water, Colour (150d), Food Acids (338,330), Sweeteners (951, 950), Flavour, Caffeine. Contains caffeine, Contains phenylalanine.

Love Jello. We don't have much of that here in Sweden.
There are special stores here for that but not where I live.

Jell-O Raspberry Sugar Free Gelatin Mix: Water, Gelatin, Adipic Acid and Citric Acid (for Tartness), Sodium Citrate (Controls Acidity), Aspartame* and Acesulfame Potassium (Sweeteners), Salt, Red 40, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Blue 1. *Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine.

I think the gelatin, the collagen evens it up somehow. Haven't had any reactions eating Jello as I recall in the past. May make some of my own soon.
Growing up we had lots of homemade gelatin desserts and fruit soups. Very
common back in the day.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-27-21, 15:16

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

My DH makes a "Jello" type dessert with 2 tablespoons gelatin powder, 24 drops liquid sucralose and a "Koolaid" type unsweetened drink packet (the kind intended to make 64 ounces of drink) mixed in 32 ounces of water. First soften gelatin in a bit of cold water to prevent lumps, then add some boiling water and stir to dissolve and then add sweetener, drink packet and enough water to make 32 ounces. Let sit in fridge a few hours and done. I don't consider the drink mix with its artificial coloring, flavoring etc. a great health choice but maybe better than the sugar free "Jello" brand box mix, no aspartame for those who avoid this. A bit cheaper, too. It's a lot better choice IMO than other things DH might otherwise eat for dessert.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-21, 08:56

BF:
Default Cherry Kool-Aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
My DH makes a "Jello" type dessert with 2 tablespoons gelatin powder, 24 drops liquid sucralose and a "Koolaid" type unsweetened drink packet (the kind intended to make 64 ounces of drink) mixed in 32 ounces of water. First soften gelatin in a bit of cold water to prevent lumps, then add some boiling water and stir to dissolve and then add sweetener, drink packet and enough water to make 32 ounces. Let sit in fridge a few hours and done. I don't consider the drink mix with its artificial coloring, flavoring etc. a great health choice but maybe better than the sugar free "Jello" brand box mix, no aspartame for those who avoid this. A bit cheaper, too. It's a lot better choice IMO than other things DH might otherwise eat for dessert.

Thanks! Sound tasty <3
Nice with a spouse that helps out in the kitchen.

I was a sucker for Tang juice back in the day. Once in awhile I find some clementines that taste just like it.
I still love cherry Kool-Aid to this day.