Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 21:44
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Default New York Style Cheesecake with Brazil Nut Crust

Auto generated link to page (Please do not remove): http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe062.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 14:02
agenda

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Question substitute

Can I possibly substitute the Brazil nuts with a different type - say walnut or pecans, and get the same carb count?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 17:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hey there. Welcome.

Just so you know, each nut has its own carb count (cashews are quite high for instance).

You should be able to look up the carb count of whatever nut you want to use in your handy dandy paperback carb counter (you have one, don't you?).

There is also an online carb counter right here at this website for your convenience! See the orange menu bar above? There's a link to LowCarb Tools there and if you follow that link, you'll run into the Carb Counter.

Enjoy!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 18:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/230/175 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: -10%
Default First Attempt

Just wanted to ask a couple things as this was my first fluffy cheesecake.

After adding all the ingredients, I had more than what would fit into a 9inch, by about 1/4 to 1/2 inch (estimation). The consitency was slightly frothy, but very creamy and smooth. Once I added the sour cream and eggs the mixer only ran long enough to fold the yolks into invisibility, however, having never beaten 5 pkgs of cream cheese at once, I did run it a long time on just the cream cheese trying to decide, exactly, what 'smooth' was.

The springform pan was at least 2.5 inches high, I think i may have seen higher ones on TV, but this was the deepest in the store.

After cooking, and letting set a bit, I removed the springform (slightly too early I could tell, one side needed support for a while), and the outside 2-3 inches had a cake consistency, but the middle was still quite gooshy. I let it cool another hour and just had to have a piece, and the inner 1-2inches was still soupy
ish.

I have since refridgerated the whole thing, and it is now firmer, but I am afeared that I blew the 'perfect' combination by undercooking it slightly (oven is NOT the best and it could have been at 185 instead of 200).

Is this whole experience normal, or should I jack up the oven 10-15 degrees to allow for a firmer middle (though still soft while hot).

note - used the macadamia nut version of the crust...can you say UM.

note 2 - even runny in the middle, it was a very creamy and enjoyable slice of heaven!

Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Hey, Mark.

Karen's recipes are usually quite good and reliable (and kitchen-tested for sure)...

After reading through your post, I'd suggest, based on an experience of my own that you buy an inexpensive oven thermometer (any hardware or kitchen store) and make sure your oven is set correctly. That way when you "jack up" the dial you will PROBABLY find that you get the correct temperature inside the oven itself. This is WAAAAYYY better than guessing on the temperature and timing.

I have two of them in my oven, by the way. I not only don't trust the ovens (any of 'em) but I'd hate for one of them to be wrong, too! Heck, I've got one in my fridge as well. Nothing worse than wasted food ingredients

Hope this helps!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 10:28
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Mark!

A few tips on the cheesecake...

Start with the cream cheese at room temperature and only beat it until until all the packages are combined and no lumps of cheese remain. It should only take about 2 minutes. Scrape down the bowl frequently. If your mixer has a paddle attachment, it will be better than a whisk attachment because a whisk incorporates air and you don't want that to happen with a cheesecake. If you beat it for a long time to the point of frothiness, it would increase the volume and not fit in the pan. I use a regular springform, not a high-sided fancy one.

Did you start off the baking at 500 F? It's important for the initial "set" It is quite possible that your oven - as Judi pointed - out is not the correct temperature. Ovens frequently go out of whack and some ovens will be hotter or cooler in certain areas.

The texture you describe is almost right - cakey around the outside and creamy in the middle but it shouldn't be gooshy or runny. Slightly "jiggly" is right. Another wonderful kitchen tool is an instant read thermometer. Great for using on large cuts of meats and cheesecakes. With a cheesecake, the temperature in the middle should read 150 F. YOu don't really need one is your oven is right, but they are useful to have.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 11:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Karen, I just wanted to let you know that you have created yet another masterpiece. I made this for Easter (such as it was around out house this year) and it if by far the best cheesecake I've ever made. I left half of it in the fridge on tuesday when I left home but I seriously doubt they'll be anything left tomorrow when I get in.

I thawed some frozen raspberries I had and mashed them with my hand mixer to make a slushy / coulis type mixture that went beautifully with the cake.

Will be making this one again (very soon!)
Nat
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 12:10
Forum Founder

BF:

Thanks Nat! I think the texture on this one is sublime. The no-bake is more playful, but this one is dead serious.

My Dobe - who helped herself to half the last time I made it - likes it too!

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 16:57

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%
Default Yummyyy

Karen,

I am so excited to try this this weekend. I am having friends over on Saturday night for Daiquaries and a fish fry, with this cheesecake as desert. All your tips above will be very helpful. Question, does the lemon juice give it a lemony taste? The reason I ask is because I do not like a lemon flavor in my cheesecake and if it does, I would like to change it to Almond flavoring or something to that nature. But, if it does not give a tang of lemon, then I would like to follow your recipe to the T, since I know that it is tried and true.

Thanks
Cindy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 17:48
Forum Founder

BF:

No, it doesn't taste like lemon at all, it just balances the flavour. I'm not a fan of lemon in cheesecakes either. Never understood it - why mess with pure luxury?

Another tip: My friends preferred the macadamia crust to the Brazil nut crust. They thought the Brazil nuts were too "mealy", but I like it as a change of pace.

What kind of fish are you frying?

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-04-02, 17:48

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%

Thanks Karen,
Then I will follow it to a T......

Walleye and Sauger, I'm going to do a traditional fish fry with breading, but I figured I will just eat the other yummy stuff I make and leave the fish alone. I have done so much fishing this winter that I have to start eating it......

Thanks again for your tips. I am really looking forward to the delicacy.....

Cindy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 10:50

BF:
Default Update

Note - once it chilled the cheesecake was perfect, only when I cut it warm (bout an hour or two after baking) was it 'gooshy'.

Going to make it again tonight I think, and will not beat it so long (was used to another recipe where light and almost frothy was good...but it used a lot less cream cheese).

So, smooth is just not chunky, not necessarily creamy - i notice once you add the eggs the creaminess really is easier to see, so will not wait so long for the first couple of eggs and I think that will keep me from over doing it.

Unable to find brazil nuts un mixed where we shop, so going to try a macadamia nut almond combination this time ( I loved the macadamia but experimentation is the norm round here).
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 11:21
Forum Founder

BF:

Cool! I'm having some friends over for dinner and I'm thinking of making it again too.

But, maybe I'll make something else!

Karen
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 11:02

BF:
Default FYI

Still a big hit!

Modified the crust to use 1/2 maca and 1/2 almonds, added 2tbs or so of butter to give it enough stickiness(the almonds a lot drier), and WOW, the reaction from the inhalers was wonderful..I personally liked both crusts, but just thought I'd let ya know the almond/maca had a very nice taste to it as well.

Tis such a big hit, that I have to make it when I go visit some friends in Phoenix in a week or so...under strict orders!

(note, 2nd time I made sure the oven was a tad warmer and it came out much firmer, even before chilling - and did not whip it to a froth, both times it was good, 2nd time just worked better!)

I just love making something I can splurge on (as long as its only one a day at least! I cannot have my brownies any more, but this helps ease the paaaaain.!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 09:05
Forum Founder

BF:

Glad to see it's working out for you. The no-bake cheesecake has an almond crust that is very toasty in flavour and can be used in this recipe. Have a look at it.

Karen