Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-19, 10:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Fatty Foods with Health Benefits

Men's Health magazine online had this article. It made me think that baby steps add up to change the eating habits of people.

https://www.menshealth.com/nutritio...ealth-benefits/

Quote:
8 Fatty Foods With Health Benefits Quit depriving yourself and start eating these eight fatty foods—no guilt necessary BY JEFF VOLEK, PH.D., R.D. AND ADAM CAMPBELL APR 7, 2015

For years you’ve heard that eating saturated fat is like pouring superglue into your arteries. But the fact is, this forbidden fat actually increases your HDL (good) cholesterol, which helps remove plaque from your artery walls, decreasing your risk of heart disease. So quit depriving yourself and start eating these eight foods—without guilt.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-19, 12:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Good article and glad to see the word getting out!
That reminds me, I need some sour cream, I haven't had any in
the house in a while. I love the 50/50 with mayo to make
dips for spinach or canned artichokes with Parmesan cheese.
Also good with a little horseradish on steak.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 07:00
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

That sneaky low-fat sour cream is still out there. Almost bought some, the pinkish label hiding the contents made me check the ingredient list.

"Men's" health is strange. They'll tout FATS then in a later paragraph or article start with the "lean protein and healthy whole grains" dogma. Afraid to rattle too many cages eh?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 07:14

BF:

I have definitely noticed a trend: " leaders" publish their real thoughts and full findings on utube or in books, but when put in a main stream spotlight, the message is softened toward "politically correct". Have seen this time and again.

The first was one of my heroes of a sort, and with some thinking realized to get part of the message accepted was important to move the thinking of the non-believers. Baby steps.

I'm more accepting of the possibilities of the strange and the unusual since seeing first hand the effects of acupuncture on a horse-- this some 15-20 years ago before this technique was accepted like it is today. A horse doesn't know this is supposed to help, so no placebo effect. Opened my eyes, and my brain.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 14:37

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
That sneaky low-fat sour cream is still out there. Almost bought some, SNIP.....

I love substituting sour cream for yogurt, I especially like the look of horror when I tell people that’s what they are eating on their BlackBerries or blueberries. Sweetened with a dash of stevia and maybe some vanilla or orange lemon extract ...it’s a real treat.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 16:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I love Daisy sour cream, full-fat of course. Great ingredient list(ingredients: cultured cream) lol. But lately I’ve discovered a plain yogurt I like, and do like yogurt for the probiotic properties. The brand is La Fermiere and ingredient list is: Grade A pasteurized whole milk, grade A pasteurized cream, live active cultures.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 16:44

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
rI'm more accepting of the possibilities of the strange and the unusual since seeing first hand the effects of acupuncture on a horse-- this some 15-20 years ago before this technique was accepted like it is today. A horse doesn't know this is supposed to help, so no placebo effect. Opened my eyes, and my brain.
Yes indeed. For a while my sister worked as an office manager for an acupuncturist who saw primarily human clients, but also took animal clients as well, mostly dogs. My sister said you would see dogs come struggling in, suffering from arthritis or maybe from an auto accident. And often after a single treatment they would nearly jump off the table and race around. As you say clearly no possible placebo effects for a dog. It sure made a believer of my sister, and of me too!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 03:29

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Always have Daisy sour cream. Just made a walmart run for Great Value plain greek full fat yogurt.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 09:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squarecube
I love substituting sour cream for yogurt, I especially like the look of horror when I tell people that’s what they are eating on their BlackBerries or blueberries. Sweetened with a dash of stevia and maybe some vanilla or orange lemon extract ...it’s a real treat.

ROFL... I often do the reverse: substitute full fat yogurt for sour cream, ( for the microbes) on dishes topped with sour cream. My kids don't notice the difference!! lol
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 09:49

BF:

LOVE LOVE LOVE Sour cream. I can eat it by the spoonful!! ( dangerous as one spoonful leads to another and another....)Soooo goood!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 11:23

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yes indeed. For a while my sister worked as an office manager for an acupuncturist who saw primarily human clients, but also took animal clients as well, mostly dogs. My sister said you would see dogs come struggling in, suffering from arthritis or maybe from an auto accident. And often after a single treatment they would nearly jump off the table and race around. As you say clearly no possible placebo effects for a dog. It sure made a believer of my sister, and of me too!
My vet is a trained animal acupuncturist and she used it to treat my dog's ACL injury. It's also really helped with her arthritis. I know several people who have used kitty acupuncture to help with kidney disease, too. It's very good for this.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 01:28
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Always have Daisy sour cream. Just made a walmart run for Great Value plain greek full fat yogurt.

Ill have to look for that one -- all I ever see there is 2% Faya in the smaller sizes.

Since I started making kefir I kind of forgot about yogurt.

An interesting side: had an orphaned twin calf to bottle raise. When I switched him from kefir and goats milk to Purina milk re-placer scours suddenly started?

Figuring kefir digests milk sugar and helps digestion I gave that a try again. Just warmed whole cow's milk and kefir added -- he has perked right up. On further searches I found this site:

https://mosesorganic.org/farming/fa...st-kept-secret/

It makes sense, on so many levels, over standard supplements laced with additives, soy and antibiotics!

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Mar-13-19 at 01:45.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 09:43

BF:

Mike, I wish I had never used powdered milk replacer for my children-- pushed on me at the hospital!!

Also lacks the good fats, microbes, etc.

Still waiting for local farm to get raw milk going again.....
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 09:46

BF:

Dr Berry elimated his heart burn on carnivore......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aayap3NB2d4

hmmm..... similar genetics that I have, just add in ITalian island and English............ the justification I use when I enjoy fatty meats!!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 11:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:

Thanks, MsA, nice video by Dr. Berry. I favor carnivore with some salad or steamed greens occasionally, but predominantly carnivore works best for me with the ample luscious fats that are along for the ride.