Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 09:03

Plan: atkins/schwarzbein
Stats: 140/135/120,5
BF:
Progress:
Default quitting bcp, starting atkins. input?

hi everyone!

as with all pcos info i've found online lately, i'm really glad to have come across this forum!
my head is still spinning from how much i'm JUST NOW learning about pcos + diet (my gyno stuck me on diane-35 last year, never once mentioned anything about diet, the insulin response, how pcos could lead to cancer...not to mention that women w/ pcos have a higher risk of heart disease & that diane could just compound that. and my gyno's a woman!!)

anyway, i decided not to start a new pack of diane last night (not sure if this is the way to go, but after asking my gyno, she basically just shrugged her shoulders - as she stifled a yawn - and said, 'sure, ya ya, take a break from it if you want.')

SO. i figure it's up to me to educate myself and make some decisions (i didn't even know that it was best to see an endocrinologist for this condition!! - how come she didn't send me to one???)

so, i've been on atkins now (suffering, ), for 3 days. i plan to keep it up, as i have been having trouble with the effects of carbs, anyway, for a few yrs (depression, hostility, weakness...).

basically, i just wanted to know how many of you out there have had success with low-carb eliminating some of those icky symptoms of pcos (excess facial hair, zits - i've never had acne, but i wasn't starting to break out alot more - heavy periods, etc)
has low-carbing made your facial/body skin as FABULOUS as the pill did/can??? (i really have to get off this bcp, but it'd suck to lose this baby-smooth skin! )

anyway, glad to be here. and it's good to know i'm not only not alone with the pcos, but in having to deal with a completely lax and clueless medical community about this issue! (well, for me, anyway).

thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 09:06

Plan: atkins/schwarzbein
Stats: 140/135/120,5
BF:
Progress:
Default oops

i meant to say that although i've never had acne, i WAS starting to break out alot more before i started on the diane-35 (especially on my back - mmm, sexy!)

ok, THANKS!