Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-03, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: Protein power, low fat, low carb
Stats: 118/111/100 Female 5'6
BF:13%
Progress: 39%
Exclamation Ok to take flaxseed oil tablets????

Hello, I was just wondering if it was ok to take flaxseed oil tablets with my L-Carnitine supplements - the L-Carnitine works best when taken with an omega 3 fatty acid, thats the reason for taking it, but I've recently heard that people with hypothyroidism should deffinately not take Flaxseed oil or related foods with flaxseed... any advice would be great!

Jessica
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 19:30
ArtificiallyFlavored

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I just read an article that sugested taking flaxseed oil if you are hypothyroid... Hmmmmm...
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 20:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

There's a bit of a myth out there that flax seeds contain cyanide, and will harm the thyroid.

The truth is, flax seeds do contain a cyanide-like glycoside, which is rendered inactive by the digestive juices in our stomach. The amount in the seed is very minute ... mostly it's found in the leaf of the plant. I've written more about it in this post.

For the record, this same cyanogenic glycoside is found in almonds, peaches, coffee and alfalfa sprouts.

Take your flax oil, it's recommended to be helpful for your thyroid

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-20-03, 13:08

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Jessa:

I have only read that you should take flaxseed because the omega 3's are essential for the workings of your thyroid.

I was taking it for a fungal infection of the gut and I was also taking kelp. It is a coincidence (or so I thought) that I was feeling so much better (not much muscle cramping anymore, etc) and now my doc is having me tested for hypothyroidism. I think I was helping myself by accident by consuming those mentioned items but the one thing that never improved like it should have was my energy level. Atkins is supposed to make one feel energized and yet I was still dragging (much less so than 6 months ago however).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-09-03, 22:54
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm still dragging too Jeanne... have you had any luck lately??
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:26

Stats: 148/136/122 Female 61 1/2"
BF:?/32%/
Progress: 46%

Is Flax Oil and Flaxseed oil one in the same?

I went to Walmart looking for flaxseed oil and the pharmacist told me that Flax oil is the same as flaxseed oil...but of course they only had flax oil....i bought it, but am wondering if anyone else uses flax oil (caplets)??

Thanks
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 19:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by carol.pino
Is Flax Oil and Flaxseed oil one in the same?

hi there,

Yes, they're the same . In some regions it's called linseed oil .. not to be confused with the boiled linseed oil that painters use though

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 02:18

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

I take the flax oil capsules from wal-mart also but my doctor did recommend that I get flax seed but the reason he said to get it is to lower my cholesterol and he said that the gold flax seeds are the best...he told me to sprinkle them on my salads but I haven't gotten around to buying them yet...I am having bloodworlk done friday and I will see how these flax oil capsules are affecting my thyroid(hypothyroidism), cholesterol, and my triglycerides(missspelled I think)..I will post once I get my results if you want so you will see if there is a difference.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 18:56

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanne Sch
Hi Jessa:

I have only read that you should take flaxseed because the omega 3's are essential for the workings of your thyroid.

I was taking it for a fungal infection of the gut and I was also taking kelp. It is a coincidence (or so I thought) that I was feeling so much better (not much muscle cramping anymore, etc) and now my doc is having me tested for hypothyroidism. I think I was helping myself by accident by consuming those mentioned items but the one thing that never improved like it should have was my energy level. Atkins is supposed to make one feel energized and yet I was still dragging (much less so than 6 months ago however).

Thanks Jeanne Sch,

Thanks everyone for your info. I have a friend who is dealing with depression and hypo-thyroid problems. Is there a relationship between the two? She is also contemplating some sort of low carb dieting and of course I want to encourage her as much as I can. Should I reccomend the flax to her?
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 04:36

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

There IS defiantly a connection with hypothyroidism and depression...There are many doctors' that mis-diagnose depression (and treat with prozac or some other med) when it is a thyroid dysfunction and then end up medicating the person for something that they don't need medicated for.

This happened to me...When the doctor put me on prozac I was weirded out though...I was so happy is was sick...I didn't care about my bills, my family, or anything...I swear if someone had told me my mom or anyone close to me had died I would have probably shrugged my shoulders and went on with what I was doing....When I wasn't on meds (thyroid or prozac) I would cry over every little thing...Now that I am on thyroid meds I feel so much more normal...I worry alot but its about things I need to worry about...My moods are much more stable...I don't break down and cry like I did before...I feel so much more in control.

When your thyroid is out of wack...You feel sluggish all most all the time (i had burst of energy here and there), Depression sets in (over little things), and all kind of symptoms that come with depression can follow. A couple of supplements that I found help with these effects if not on a prescribed med ( I highly recommend getting this checked out because it is life threating) Here is the list of things...Do research on them before hand because I am not sure what each one does:

L-Tyrosine
L-Tyrosine is a direct precursor to Thyroxine, a primary thyroid hormone, as well as Adrenaline and Nor-adrenaline. Thyroxine has been found to increase metabolic rate and control growth rate. L-Tyrosine is a necessary amino acid in the production of neurotransmitters including epinephrine, norepinephrine, and dopamine. L-Tyrosine also appears to have a mild stimulatory effect on the central nervous system.
Patients with a Thyroxine deficiency have symptoms including excess weight gain, cold hands and feet, and decreased basal metabolism. L-Tyrosine has been found to assist in optimizing thyroid hormone levels, increased mood, concentration, and productivity.

L-Tyrosine is used to treat conditions including depression or mood disorder, poor coping ability, fatigue, low sex drive, low metabolism, and drug abuse (when combined with Tryptophan). It can also improve endurance under stress and is effective as an appetite suppressant. When taken properly, L-Tyrosine can assist a sluggish thyroid and aid the dieter in losing excess, unwanted pounds.

The suggested dosage for healthy adults ranges from 500 to 1500 mg per day.

Iodine/Kelp
Rich in iodine, Kelp supports the healthy function of a normal metabolism and glandular system and can assist in many weight management programs by supporting a normal rate of fat burning. Due to its high content of minerals, trace minerals, vitamin, and amino acids, Kelp can aid in metabolic and glandular health

Garcinia cambogia fruit extract
[justify]Garcinia cambogia, an exotic fruit grown in South India, has been used to impart a distinctive sour flavour to Indian cooking.. It is the source for a revolutionary natural diet ingredient which is currently a rage in America, Japan, Europe and other western countries.
[/justify]
[justify]Garcinia cambogia extract is the calcium salt of hydroxy citric acid (HCA), which is obtained from water extract of Garcinia cambogia fruit . It is non-toxic, tasteless, odorless powder and found to be very effective herbal alternate for controlling obesity and cholesterol by inhibiting lipogenesis in our body.
[/justify]
[justify]HISTORICAL USES & PROPERTIES OF GARCINIA CAMBOGIA
[/justify]
[justify]Garcinia Cambogia is a relative new-comer to the ranks of Western herbalism, but has been used for thousands of years in the Orient as a food supplement. It is used as an appetite suppressant and to inhibit the absorption and synthesis of fat, cholesterol and triglycerides. In other words, it is a dietary aid
[/justify]
Garcinia Cambogia METHOD OF ACTION

[justify]The active principle in Garcinia Cambogia is (-)-hydroxycitric acid(or HCA). On a dry weight basis, HCA constitutes from
20-30% of the berry. Garcinia Cambogia works in two ways
1. by suppressing appetite
2. by inhibiting lipid synthesis
This latter mechanism is based on the theory that inhibition of lipid biosynthesis or enhance lipid metabolism interfere with mechanisms that produce and maintain obesity.

[/justify]
[justify]Commiphora mukul extract (guggul)
[/justify]
[justify]http://www.herbmed.org/Herbs/Herb151.htm

[/justify]

[justify]These are a couple of thing I know of that were in a supplement I used to take and it helped me alot...My prescribed med have helped me more...But this supplement did help alot with my mood swings and moodiness and my lack of energy. I hope this helps.

[/justify]