Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 08:51

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%
Default Help for insomnia

Has anyone tried her list of supplements to help with sleep? Had any success? I have very bad adrenal fatique and CAN NOT sleep. The situation is becoming quite desperate. I realize that I will never heal my adrenals on 3 hours of sleep a night. I've been doing the cal-mag thing for years, tried the lavendar oil, but am way beyond these simple solutions. I see my ND in a couple of weeks and could talk to her about the tryptophan etc, but I'm wondering if I should just skip ahead to the desyrel. I'm a little worried about the side effects to that one, I already have problems with low blood pressure so I don't know if it would be contraindicated for me. Any insight?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 16:29
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

my friends and I SWEAR by raw milk. It started with me.. and we wondered if I was imagining it. Nope.. one by one they "tried" the milk and we're all sleeping like rocks. I used to be a terrible sleeper, I'd wake up every night coughing with asthma and need an inhaler, not to mention every roen or stir my husband made, every little noise outside... but not with the raw milk. You don't need to drink much either, a cup or so a day and it's so delicious.

www.realmilk.com
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 16:57

Plan: Schwarzbein/0 Blood type
Stats: 155/145/130 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default calmes forte

I had trouble for awhile, actually I still waken some times around 2-3am. But when it was bad, I used calmes forte, a homeopathic combo that you can find
at any health food store. It's by hyland brand. I would take several of those
and within a half hour I was back to sleep. Way back after one of my kids
was born, I was given the drug you mentioned. It stayed in my system
all morning, I would be dragging. Don't recommend it, although you may be
better on it. Turns out my liver is not totally healthy, so many meds are not
ok for me. I have learned a lot over the years. But I still think my adrenals
are shot. Oh well, hope you can get some rest. Can you take naps?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 01:53

Plan: sugar bad, gluten worse
Stats: 230/191/160 Female 65 inches
BF:too/too/much
Progress: 56%

you might try melatonin . it's the natural hormone producted in the brain to make you sleep. i work night and have used it occationally to sleep during the day. you may have to adjust the dose. the usually pill is 3mg. i break the pill into 4 pieces and take just 1 little piece and can sleep like a rock.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 01:56

Plan: No grains, no sugar.
Stats: 001/045/525 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by babe
you might try melatonin . it's the natural hormone producted in the brain to make you sleep. i work night and have used it occationally to sleep during the day. you may have to adjust the dose. the usually pill is 3mg. i break the pill into 4 pieces and take just 1 little piece and can sleep like a rock.

Second the motion.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 06:29

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Like Babe said melatonin and I also break it in 4...and it really helps you sleep and also if you have small children and worry you wont hear them at night well you will...it doesnt knock you out like some prescription pills does...you do really get a good night sleep...

http://www.melatonin.com/melatonin-faq.htm

http://www.priory.com/mel.htm
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-05, 16:36

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 165/152/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if the milk thing is because of the combination of tryptophan and carbs. I know Dr. S says don't take melatonin but I'm not sure why that is. I took a look at the link and it sounds like melatonin helps to reset your sleep cycle which is what I need. I've heard others warn about melatonin too, so I'll ask the ND what the scoop is when I see her. I'm sure if I took desyrel I would feel groggy and knocked out all day long, she says to expect that because your body needs to catch up on sleep. I did sleep fairly well last night (for me anyways) and then felt so tired this morning and had a headache. That happens every time I get a little more sleep.

If there is anyone else who has the list of supplements in her sleep chapter, I'd appreciate hearing how it went for you and what works etc.