Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-13, 20:19

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Metformin - Tell me it gets better!?

I've been on met now for a little over a month and I'd say I'm into my 3rd week of 2000 mg a day - I did work up to that. I also started Atkins a t the same time I started the meds. In about 5 weeks time, my BG has dropped from about 179 to 115 in the mornings and I've lost 26 pounds. My issue is the running to the bathroom, which I might attribute some of the weight loss to! Most I've reD has says it does get better. Each time I'd up my dose I'd have problems for a couple of days then it'd seem to go away till I had to up it again but here I am having issues pretty bad again. Can taking my med 30 minutes later than I'd normally take it make a difference or eating 30 minutes later? An hour? I have 2 kids and an unpredictable work schedule so a routine is difficult sometimes!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 04:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have obviously been following Atkins successfully this past month, congratulations on your weight loss. Did you also look at the Dr. Bernstein book, which has advice on medications in addition to his diet?
Your doctor originally advised you to do a low carb program...are you taking your BG throughout the day and discussing the results with him? As I wrote on your other post, it is more common when starting strict low carb that your medications need to be reduced. If your post-prandial readings are as improved as your FBG, you may need to reduce the doses.

Some tips here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=452693

If you check side effects of metforim, the diarrhea may resolve, or it can be chronic for some people. Also there is mention of an interaction with Topamax. Some people have relief from headaches just by being completely wheat-free (Nancy recommended Wheat Belly to you in an earlier thread) I would discuss with your doctor what adjustments could be made to dosages and meds you currently take, as long as you stick to a LC wheat-free diet.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Dec-17-13 at 05:40.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 07:24
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Honestly, I had a huge issue with metformin. My doctor wanted me at 2000 mg a day. I told her no way. She really looked at me weird. I said I am literally peeing out my bum and messing my pants (cause i have a chronic cough and sometimes you apply pressure to the belly and if you have that type of stomach problem, something happens)

I had huge stomach cramps, just not so much fun running to the bathroom at work.

What I did 1000 MG of extended release and i cut the tablets which you are not suppose to do so I did 500 for each dose.

But my system, never tolerated metformin and the dihere with the way the doctor wanted me to take it.

I took 1/2 of one in the morning. And 1/2 one at night to try and help my Dawn phenomon.

But the truth is you don't know if Metformin is helping you or if it was the change in eating habits that did it for you.

For me I was on met and I slowly progressed to a type 2 diabetic(was highly insulin resistant before pre-diabetic). It never did anything to help me lower my blood sugars.

I talk to your doctor to see if you can do 500 MG twice a day.

Not sure if they come in 500 MG.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 08:21
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Firstly make sure you're on controlled release metformin, rather than standard.

Then, I found taking the metformin in the middle of a meal helped greatly.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 10:23

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thanks for the replies. I am on the er, failed to mention that. And I have not read about the interaction with topamax and I did just up it this month as well as my headaches weren't completely under control. Maybe that's what kicked it back up. Whe I go back or if this doesn't seem to die back down soon I will talk to him about cutting back. He did mention it but with the addition of a different med to help control the bg and I told him I didn't want a new med I. The mix to deal with new side effects. And I only check my bg in the mornings when I get up, all I was told to do. These have dropped significantly. Is there a reason I should check more often?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 10:57

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Some people just don't tolerate Metformin. I tried 3 different courses of varying doses and formulations. Reactivated my GERD every time. Took months to get over it.

ADA recommends diet and Metformin as the first level of treatment. They then go on to say if it doesn't work, or if patient does not tolerate Metformin switch to insulin or one of the sulfano. drugs. And I would not agree to the later.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-13, 11:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

lovinita, I don't recall what, if any, meds you take, but I thought I would mention that some BP and (I think) statins can cause a chronic cough as a side-effect.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-13, 19:55
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hi Nancy, thanks for the thought.. Greatly appreciated... No meds... Although they just put me on a BP medicine for my vertigo issue.

Different doctor is now thinking it is GERD said the other doctor was wrong.

So soon I will try an prescription strength ant acid once we determine if the BP medicine helps at all.

Thanks again!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-18-13, 21:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

Quote:
Blood pressure medicines can have side effects. There is a class of blood pressure medications that can frequently cause a cough. This class is called the ACE inhibitors. Some examples of ACE inhibitors include lisinopril, captopril, and ramipril. The cough is generally a dry one but can be quite annoying. When someone gets this cough, it is usually grounds for the medicine to be discontinued. A different medicine called an angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) can replaced the ACE inhibitor and control your blood pressure without the side effect of the cough. Of course there are other causes of cough and allergies can be a significant contributor. If your cough only comes on when during certain seasons, or only when you are exposed to certain animals, then the allergies may be playing more of a role. This is an important thing to distinguish because an allergy cough can be treated with nasal sprays and pills. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine you and determine the cause of your cough. If it is found to be caused by your blood pressure medication then you will probably be changed to another one. If it is caused by your allergies, then you should be tried on a new medication.

https://www.zocdoc.com/answers/8899...-cause-coughing
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-13, 03:45

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

B-Worthy, here is a longish article how to test and why post-meals.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14046889.php
Since you know you have diabetes, skip the hi carb challenge, determine what BG does 1, 2 and 3 hour post common meals. You may find some innocent food keeps your BG higher longer. Discuss readings with your doctor as they improve, maybe you can lower the dose already. With strict LC eating, many see rapid improvement.

Lovinita, if it is GERD, there are many natural products or home remedies to try as well, e.g Digestive Licorice, aloe juice (maybe hi carb?). Found them listed on the People's Pharmacy website when taking DH off his PPI..evil rebound with those drugs, avoid if you can.
Nancy, Interesting about BP meds causing a cough...can't they come up with any drug that does not cause more seemingly unrelated problems? Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-19-13, 23:04

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:

Bworthey -

I was on 2000 mg of metformin for a long time & didn't have a clue that it was the cause of my chronic diarrhea. I did lose a lot of weight for a while, until I discovered anti-diarrhea pills. I'm now taking 1000 mg/day and have had diarrhea only once. Much, much better!

I'm working hard on getting my BG down with diet. I suspect that my age may have something to do with the difficulty - I've been a T2 diabetic for a long time & I think my pancreas needs major healing.

If you can't change doctors, try reducing the metformin yourself a little at a time. And read Dr. Richard Bernstein's books - lots of information about why we have to test more often - I also was told to test only in the morning. My insurance won't cover my extra test strips, so I figure that's the price of vigilance. Reli-On has come out with a new meter that has cheaper strips - here they are $9 for 50 - half the next cheapest price.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-08-14, 10:51

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

There are a couple different kinds of metformin. If the one you're on is bothering you, have them switch you to the other and see how that works.