Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 15:00

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default traveling diet tips wanted

Next week I'm going to visit my daughter for a week. This will be the biggest challenge so far in my sticking with Dr. B's eating plan. I'll be dealing with the stress of flying, jet lag, different weather, and, I'm sure, different food.

My daughter understands the diet - she's gone grain-free herself - so eating at her house won't be bad. It's just the dining in restaurants and the homes of others - her almost in-laws, for one. And they, from what daughter has said, are fruitcakes. That's going to be fun.

I don't want my blood glucose to go up & feel miserable while there. Any suggestions, tips, or pitfalls to look out for?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 15:43

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

1. Try to avoid chain restaurants. They put sugar in EVERYTHING (yes, Outback fans, including that steak seasoning). When in doubt, order a chicken Caesar salad without croutons; while not great that's about as safe as you can get.

2. If your daughter is off grains, I imagine her fiance knows about it and will say something to his parents, fruitcakes or not.

3. If all else fails, take a bite to be polite. Believe it or not, the vast majority of people really don't care what or how you eat.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 16:08

BF:

LOL - I don't care what they think - I'm much more concerned about my health. It's just that they tend to push alcohol & other things on my daughter & her boyfriend, in spite of them both being in AA. Somehow I don't think they'll even understand what diabetes is.

Here at home I take a lunch with me when visiting or at church functions so I know I'll have food that is good for me. I suppose I could keep some beef jerky in my purse. I wish the Atkins bars were better - they are so nicely portable.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 16:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/205/180 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 60%

I'm not familiar enough with Bernstein's plan to know precisely what to suggest. But when I think I will be in a situation with nothing to eat (or even pick at) I keep beef jerky or pepperoni and a jar of macadamia nuts with me a lot. I has saved me a time or two.

It's harder if you will be there for an extended period of time...but it's up to you (along with your persistence and determination) to make the plan work for you!

Best wishes -
Deanna
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 17:32

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You can do this Bonnie! Travelling, dinners out, holidays are a part of life and you will learn what you need to do to keep yourself healthy. Here are many great Travel Tips from Laura Dolson, read the comments too...many approaches how to decline politely. Even though fruitcakes they may be part of your DD's life so set your boundaries now. Keep nuts, jerky, cheese, veg, whatever you can handle within your carb count for the day with you. I try to have a high protein breakfast, even if it means going out for eggs and bacon at fast food or having a cup of coffee and saying you are not hungry (sneaking the snacks later)
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lo...wcarbtravel.htm
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 17:51

BF:

Thanks Jey! That site gave me some ideas. I hadn't even thought of the tuna in pouches. Along with a couple of packets of take-out mayo and some of my home-make flax bread, I can make a sandwich on board if I have to. Maybe some home-made cheese crackers, too. Nuts, dried meat & cheese will keep me going while on the ground. I can always stop in at a store.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-05-13, 20:55

Plan: atkins
Stats: 235/195/175 Female 5ft 6 in
BF:
Progress: 67%

Eggs are safe as long as they are not in omelets with pancake batter added!

My personal favorite is to bring coconut oil along and add it to coffee.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-13, 07:29
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Hey Bonnie,

I just got done doing. Alot of great suggestions.

Ceasar salad was my friend and is always my friend when eating out. I always order a protein with *nothing* else. and tell them I want a side ceasar (or full if they don't have side) with my meal.

Recently when going back home I didn't deviate.

With breakfast and lunch I cooked it.

breakfast, I made eggs/hamburger/bell peppers/onions for my folks and me (they had bacon instead of hamburger).

I then pre cooked my lunch. I cooked up chunks of chicken in olive oil.

So I could have Romaine lettuce/Cabbage with bell peppers and chicken. With ranch dressing.

If I wasn't at my folks house when eating lunch, I took it in a with seperate containers with me.

We ate out one day for lunch which I really couldn't afford (calorie wise to do) So I brought my salad to the restaraunt while they all ordered. I had a water and ate my salad.

Other than that. I been known to bring my own side to my mother in laws. For easter this year, she had Ham, roasted potatoes, asparagarus (it tastes bitter to me), rolls.

She was polite enough to leave off the maple syrup on the ham.

So before I went I made myself some green beans. I also asked if her and my hubby would want some. They said no. So I made enough for me. Brought it and heated it up for dinner.

I make no excuses, and any one who wants to get upset because I can't partake in the enjoyment of food/drink they want to share will never cojoule me into appeasing them. And is pretty selfish if they think I should.

I had family memebers when home constantly saying have this. I politely say, you know I can't you are silly that is loaded with carbs! Oh they go oh right forgot.

And they say what about this? I say no but thanks, I am fine

Stick with it. It gets easier over time telling people no and not compromising your health for the benefit of someone else's food connection need.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-13, 14:29

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 330/140/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I do Bernstein and had no problem sticking while on vacation. We drive from Michigan to Florida, eating out of the cooler for some meals and restaurants for others. I usually try to stick to chain restaurants only because I can go online and check the nutritional info for their menu items. If I hadn't, I would have had an unpleasant shock if I had ordered the grilled shrimp skewers at Red Lobster which come in at 35gm of carbs for 6 freakin' little shrimp which says they're putting something sugary on them to make them carmelize so they look pretty. Their scampy had 0 carbs.

If that isn't possible, I'll always explain to the waitress that I am diabetic and it is very important that my steak/chicken/etc. has not been marinated in sugar or had any type of added seasoning that contains sugar. The 'diabetic' seems to make them a bit more willing to 'make sure' (possibly to avoid a lawsuit). Usually I can find something on the menu even if it's off their 'calorie conscious' menu which will many times have hard boiled eggs on it. Breakfast is easy but ask if they add pancake batter to their omelets (IHop does).

As for the in-laws...I'd make sure to eat before you go to their home and if they're making dinner, let them know you have dietary restrictions. I tend to take a big salad with protein in it in a small 6-pack cooler, leaving it in the car until I know for sure whether or not I'll need it. I figure if they ignore my dietary restrictions, then they shouldn't get offended if I bring my own meal.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-10-13, 11:47

BF:

When I went to the store yesterday I found that besides the pouches of regular tuna, there are also flavored tuna pouches from Starkist. The flavor adds 1.5 carbs to the Ranch flavor, none to the Hickory Smoked. I passed on the flavors that added more carbs. Chicken of the Sea makes a single serve bowl of Albacore tuna, so I bought some of that, too.

At the deli I bought (for 2 cents each) some packets of mayo and mustard. All I need to do is pack a couple of plastic forks, a few paper towels, and I'm set!

Though I wish I could have found some packets of pickle relish. I might have found some at McDonalds, but didn't bother. I suppose I could put some of my dill pickle relish in a tiny container. If I put the container in a plastic bag I shouldn't have to worry about leaks. I don't want everything to smell of pickle.

I'm going to make some flax bread today, and along with the walnuts, I should be able to stay low carb.

I think I'll pack the food with my glucose meter - that will make it easier for suspicious TSA people to realize I'm diabetic and not a food terrorist!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-14, 20:38

BF:

I didn't update this because I forgot where it was posted!

The trip went well in all respects. I found that the Chicken of the Sea single serving bowls were the handiest, so I'm going to get more of those to stash in my "emergency" lunch kit.

The only hitch was when husband & I had an argument at the beginning of the 5-hour layover in Denver on the way home. I took a hike to see the famous murals & passed quite a few food venders. I thought I ought to be able to find a sugar-free goodie of some sort - but no. Not even the frozen yogurt. Lots of low-fat goodies, which didn't do me any good. My anger had cooled enough to resist the frozen yogurt, but I still wanted a treat. So I ended up with nuts - expensive nuts. Which I did not share with husband.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-07-14, 22:02

Plan: 20% Carb
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yay! I'm glad it went well. Mmm those nuts sound delicious, more for you.