Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 07:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Smile Lemon Loaf Cake

Made a wonderul cake yesterday - a friend of mine came across the recipe for it in a newspaper magazine a few weeks ago - Nigel Slater's Lemon Loaf Cake - and thought I'd like to see if I could adapt it to a low carb recipe because the main ingredient was ground almonds instead of flour! The following is my adaptation, and even though I say it myself, it's fabulous

Lemon Loaf Cake
(A Low Carb version of Nigel Slater’s original recipe)

Makes 8 slices
3g carbs per slice

200g butter, softened
8 tbsp Splenda
3 large eggs
40g vanilla whey protein powder
140g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp lemon extract
1 tsp lemon juice

Preheat oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas 4. Line a loaf tin with greaseproof paper.

Cream together the butter and Splenda, and then add the eggs one at time. Add some of the almonds between each addition to stop curdling. Fold in the rest of the flour, whey protein and lemon extract.

Spoon the mixture into the cake tin, smooth the top and then bake for approximately 35 to 40 minutes.

Take the cake from the oven and test it with a skewer – the point should leave the cake without any mixture stuck to it. Put it back in the oven if it needs it. When cooked, pierce the top of the cake with a skewer in eight or so places, and then drizzle the lemon juice over the cake and the holes. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.

According to Nigel, 'the cake keeps well, wrapped in foil and, thanks to the almonds, will become even more moist over the next day or two' - however, I'm afraid I have no idea because the whole cake was eaten by DH and the kids last night It's OK, I did manage to have a piece

I also like Nigel's idea of serving slices of the cake with sheep's yoghurt - the next one I make, I shall try mine with a dollop of Greek yoghurt.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 06:38

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

I made this again yesterday to serve for dessert at a dinner party - here's a picture of it, served with Greek yoghurt
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/220/140
BF:
Progress: 21%

Demi This looks so good.Thanks Ess
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 17:21

Plan: Generic Low Carb
Stats: 148/131/126 Female 5 ft 6"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Thanks, Demi, I've got this one written out ready to try next time I have folk coming round
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 23:20

Plan: good fat low carb
Stats: 255/170/170 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

thanks demi that looks incredible.. i have some vanilla whey protein powder sitting in my cupboard from last year.. its opened but the top is sealed with a plastic lid and doesnt expire until july this year.. I hope thats OK to use (i think ill check through the forum and make sure)

i LOVE lemon loaf like this.. cant wait to try it this week!!

thanks again.. so much
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 23:46

BF:

oh by the way.. there isnt any flour in this recipe, right? I mean where you put "Fold in the rest of the flour, whey protein and lemon extract" you didnt mean to type out flour, right? I just want to make sure i do this right **EDIT:: i realize now you were talking about the almond flour..oops!!**

also i converted it to US measurements (im too silly to measure by grams).. i hope i did this right!

Recipe Name: Lemon Loaf Cake
Category: DESSERT
Serves: 8

SOURCE A LOW CARB VERSION OF NIGEL SLATER’S ORIGINAL RECI

1 Cup Butter, softened
8 Tblsp Splenda
3 Large Egg
3 Tblsp Vanilla whey protein powder
1 1/2 Cup Almonds, ground
1 Tsp. Baking powder
2 Tsp. Lemon extract
1 Tsp. Lemon juice

Last edited by peapod : Tue, Mar-23-04 at 00:09.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 06:10
Keto-licious

Plan: Atkins/low carb
Stats: 211.6/208/200 Female 5ft 6"
BF:38/38%/20%
Progress: 31%

Made this yesterday and it is great!!! Not much left, my boyfriend Peter polished a load off ... plus it is something that I cant really taste the splenda in (yucky taste that I am really sensitve to), the lemon masks it!!!

Will definitely be making it again!!!!

Lindy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-02-04, 22:03

BF:

ive been thinking about this.. and i think you could use this recipe as a base recipe (minus the extract and lemon juice)..

i think you might be able to make a sweet almond bread that would be low carb enough for sandwiches if you reduce the amount of splenda in it.. or even add something like cream cheese and use some cinnamon instead of the flavoring.. i dont know i will play with it some probably..

when i made this i used orange extract and it came out good.. but im terrible at recipes and couldnt figure out why mine didnt rise like yours.. found out i forgot the baking powder :P my husband loved it anyways (he has severe allergies but can eat whats in this recipe)..

There are many recipes on this board for different kinds of breads, but if i can get this one to work as a base recipe that would be fabulous!

im going to make it again this weekend but do it RIGHT.

I also am going to ask in the kitchen help area if there is a way to use davinci syrup in this recipe instead of the splenda and extract.. i may still have to use some splenda but i would think not as much..

thanks again.. this is great
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-11-04, 11:16
Beach Bum

Plan: da Beach looking for Sun
Stats: 250/229.5/163 Female 5ft 5in
BF:not/ahot/clue
Progress: 24%

Hi Demi,

I can't beleive I'm eating cake!! This is lovely. I made it this morning before breakfast and it is lovely. When I was a kid in the UK my Mum used to make a sponge cake called a Victorian sponge and it reminds me of that. I skipped the yoghurt/cream as I have found with this WOE that I often don't miss things I thought I would. Next peice I will try with some low carb spread just like a sponge cake. Thanks again.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 04:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/176/176 Male 177cm (5'10")
BF:
Progress:
Default Top marks!

Hi Demi,

top marks on an excellent recipe - tastes just like Madeira cake.

Made it last night in a longer than usual loaf tin - this means we can slice it into 16 instead of eight slices, so 1.5 carbs per slice.

We had a slice each for supper last night with butter spread on it - lovely!

I've been having cake-cravings recently, and this has really sorted them.

cheers

Steve
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 06:16
Keto-licious

Plan: Atkins/low carb
Stats: 211.6/208/200 Female 5ft 6"
BF:38/38%/20%
Progress: 31%

I love this recipe and have done a few variations ... I have made an almond and cherry cake (swapped the lemon essence and juice for almond essence and put in a few chopped cherries) ... and also a coconut and cherry cake ... swapped the lemon extract/juice for coconut extract and also put in quite a lot of dessicated coconut (on top of the ingredients for the lemon loaf) ... this is really moist, although for some reason my taste-buds hate splenda and coconut together ...

Anyways ... I was toying with the idea of making a coffee and walnut cake based on this recipe, and also a chocolate one ... will wait until after I have stopped KISS'ing as I would be too tempted to try them out!!!

Thanks again Demi for a great recipe!!!

Lindyx
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 06:48
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Lemon cake is the only way this girl eats anything lemon.Thank you so much for tinkering with it for us. Saves me alot of time. (hehehe)
Big {{hugz}}} Demi
Angel

PS.. Try making it with Strawberry extract and DiVincci strawberry sf gormet syrup

Last edited by BlitzedAng : Mon, Apr-19-04 at 08:57.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 23:48

BF:

ok i guess my conversion was a bit off.. the butter should 2 sticks MINUS 2 tablespoons..

BlitzedAng.. the strawberry was exactly what i wanted to try.. did it require you to change anything within the recipe to do this (like less splenda)?
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 22:15

BF:

also.. another poster was kind enough to point out to me my conversion on the whey powder was off also.. sorry to mess up this thread.. if only i could edit

ANYHOW.. i use designer whey and it would be 1/2 c NOT 3 tbs (who knows where I got that from!)
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 06:14
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

This is another one I printed out for my "must try" folder. Thanx a bunch.
Angel