Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 15:36
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 224/166/145
BF:
Progress: 73%
Angry HUGE pot belly today

I posted this question earlier in my journal but now something really weird happened. My lower abdomen is huge! It looks like I am nine months pregnant. This kind of happens on and off, more on. When I was in high school I weighed 15 more lbs than I do now, and I was thin! Now I have a pot belly I thought I read somewhere about vinegar and dairy causing this but I am not sure! I have been using sugar free/carb free salad dressings like crazy, their main ingredient is VINEGAR! My doctor said that she cant explain it. There is nothing medically wrong. If it wasnt for my lower abdomen I would be proportionate. My measurements are 38-33-41. Mind you most of that 41 is fat on my stomach or at least it seems! Any suggestions? And I was wondering if anyone had the same problem. Three people in the last week asked me if I was pregnant I might not be as nice to the next person who asks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 16:05

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hi ChrstnHrpr,
Make sure you are drinking alot of water - even when you're not thirsty. The more you drink, the less you will retain, and give it a couple of days. Also, it might not be a bad idea to reduce the amount of cheese you're eating especially aged cheese, blue cheese..etc. The fermentation in these products may cause bloating.

bluugirl
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 21:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I haven't experienced a pot belly as of late, mind you before this woe...I thought I had two bellies...

What I am experiencing is a loss of weight, but lots of blubber hanging around. I have even started wearing support undies, which I did way back when ...when I started gaining weight.

So, the pot belly of yours is making me wonder, is it really a pot belly, or are you separating...sort of speak...gee, don't that sound kinda weird? I say this, cause, prior to this woe, I felt my tummy went much further up (with the boobs) where as now, I see a tummy....and boobs...but flab kinda hanging in there....

Anyhoo, I didn't give this major thought until now...but Wendy knows she must start exercising. Shes just waiting until the cooler weather...although we are having some now..but me knows its only temporary

Hope this helps...otherwise, just ignore me....LOL
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 09:32
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the advice Wendy! I did buy a "girdle" but it just pushes everything up and now my "fat" hangs out over the side and it is definetly not comfortable. I have been doing a ton of situps since january and I can feel the muscles underneath the blubber. "Separating" kind of sounds gross. But I guess that is what is happening. How long does it take to "separate" before the fat starts to disappear. I lost another 3lbs this morning so down 6lbs this week. Hey, I am not complaining, just wondering what I did different! I keep losing inches in my waist not my lower belly where I need it Any suggestions? It seems like since I stopped going to the gym a week and a half ago, my weight loss resumed!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 09:49

BF:

Tummy crunch's will probably help..but then look who's answering..LOL.....Any suggestions anyone on how to get the tummy flatter?

Not a girtle my dear, just support underwear...so that it don't kill ya..but gives a bit of support
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 09:50

BF:

Girtle...LOL...mean of course a girdle....hehehe....I wouldn't wear one of those if someone paid me too.....
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-01, 11:31
Registered Member

BF:

Well, I've seen some of those panties at the store with tummy control panels, is that what I should get? Does it have some sort of medical benefit or is it just cosmetic so I look better? Honestly, they are not that comfortable but if it is going to help get a flatter stomach then I am all for it! Does it matter whether or not I get the firm or light control? Do you have a preference? Just asking before I go spending my paycheck on panties
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 01:45

BF:

No medical benefits at all. I find them comfortable and feel nice in them. Don't buy if not into it, just a suggestion (I like medium control).
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 18:52

Stats: 175/155/130
BF:
Progress:

I know exactly what you mean! And it has nothing to do with flab or muscle tone. No crunches could deal with this. It just appears some days. One day my tummy will be fairly flat. And the next day, I look pregnant. It is better now on Atkins, but still happens frequently enough to be annoying.

I think it may be an intestinal yeast overgrowth (Candida). I had some cream cheese yesterday, and I am so bloated today. I notice that cheese and dairy are the worst, but I never thought about the vinegar in the salad dressing! Vinegar encourages intestinal yeast overgrowth, too. I take caprylic acid and pau d'arco supplements to help with the candida. I guess the vinegar and cheese will have to go. I know I really need to do the candida diet, but the cheese is SO wonderful as a treat. I don't know if I can take it on meat and veggies alone!

Anyway, try cutting out the offending foods and see if it helps. You can get caprylic acid and pau d'arco at almost any health food store.

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-01, 09:45
Pending Member

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 152/150/130
BF:
Progress: 9%

If you have candida overgrowth, you should NOT eat vinegar. It has a high amount of mold and bacteria. There are salad dressing recipes in some of the Candida cookbooks. Most of them call for various "cold pressed" oils mixed with lemon juice with. I have used olive oil and flax seed oil mixed with lemon juice. I do not know what cold pressed means, as I am relatively new to anti-candida cooking.

You should make enough for your salad and not store left over.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: sommersizing
Stats: 150/146.5/128
BF:
Progress: 16%

I get that all the time!! I just started this diet three days ago and can finally lift my head. My tummy would swell like that for days.. Zantac can help it but then again its not natural. I have thrush problems as well so I will see if this helps .. being off of caffeine and sugar and chocolate.. I used to have to stay away from pizza .. high yeast and high carbs
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 19:43

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%

My stomach is wierd - it's bigger on the left hand side. It's been like this for ages!

Is that a sign of yeast infestation?

Is that similar to what you are talking about?
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Apr-06-02, 01:53

Plan: Keto
Stats: 203/187.2/140 Female 5' 3"
BF:75%/5%/25%
Progress: 25%

Hey, I just found this thread. I have this BIG problem as well...as soon as I eat, doesn't seem to matter much what I eat. As soon as I start eating my stomach starts growing, before I barely get started and my pants get tight... I just hate it! I thought I was the only one...lol (not really) But here you all are, sounding like me!!! I'm going to have to look into this further
Thanks everyone
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 18:41

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%
Unhappy water?????

I have the same thing. I get bigger throughout the day so that by noon my pants are uncomfortable. I decided that the only way to help was to lose enough weight so that even if I got bloated my pants wouldn't be tight!

I know I do not drink enough water but I really have been trying. Also staying away from carbonated drinks. I think that helps some. I also have been aware of salt more so that isn't a contributing factor.

Anyone have any other ideas????
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 09:22

Plan: IR Diet
Stats: 165/155/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have this problem too. It's really, really, really, really annoying and frustrating. I got tested for a yeast overgrowth, and it came up negative! I was convinced that I had a yeast overgrowth. The test did show that I had a lot of this 'bad bacteria' and very little of some 'good bacteria'. So, I've been taking stuff for it for about a month with no changes. It's really annoying. I know what makes my bloating worse is nutrasweet (diet soda, sugar free icecream, etc.) and also when I get heartburn.
Tori