Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 04:15

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 215/215/140 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default food combining?

i'm very interested in reading more about this, but i'm not sure where to look...is it part of one of the lc plans? i read through the overviews on this site, but i didn't see it in there (which doesn't mean it isn't there, i just didn't see it)..if anyone could give me some info about it or a website to check out i would really appreciate it! thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 05:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Montignac and Somersizing are both LC food combining plans. I'm sure if you do a web search you will be able to find info on them.

Cheers.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-06, 14:07

Plan: keto <50 net carbs
Stats: 183/163/140 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 47%

Food combining is, well, exactly the opposite of what it sounds like.

"Food combining" is really "food separating" as in separating carbs, protein and fat, and fruit (veggies are okay with everything but fruit). There are about a bazillion plans, but the basic idea behind it is that the carbs need acidity to be broken down in the stomach and protein needs an alkaline medium (or maybe vice versa I don't remember). Anyways, when we eat carbs and protein together, we can't digest them proplerly because the acid/base combo cancel each other out. And (most) plans say to eat fruit in the morning on an empty stomach because that requires something else to digest it (sorry I can't remember too much).

I liked food combining, however, I felt like I binged too much because the plan I followed said that, like many LC diets, calorie restriction is not necessary...eat 'till you're full. But we all know that insulin messes with your "I'm full" signal so I decided to go back to low-carb.

Good luck! I think it can be a really great woe if you have more controll than me
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-02-06, 03:41

Plan: food comb/atkins influenc
Stats: 185/161/140 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ty
I liked food combining, however, I felt like I binged too much because the plan I followed said that, like many LC diets, calorie restriction is not necessary...eat 'till you're full. But we all know that insulin messes with your "I'm full" signal so I decided to go back to low-carb.

Hi K8ty

I have been food combining since the new year. I stick mainly to protien/fats so it is very low carb and the only carbs i get are fruit and vegies. I know what you mean about insulin messing with your full signal. Unlike you tho I have found this way of eating has really fixed that and i get full easier than ever before and rarely eat between meals coz i don't feel hungry. I guess if you are eating lots of the carb meals i could see how you could end up binging....which is prob why i avoid them too!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 01:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 156.4/156.4/135 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

If I'm allowed to post it here, go to www.about.com and search for food combining and there's tons of info there.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-26-06, 20:09
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac/French Diet
Stats: 263/285/200 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: -35%

At least in Montignac's newest book, The French Diet, he talks a lot about low glycemic foods. So it's not the number of carb grams he's talking about, but the quality of the carb food. White bread? bad. Potato? bad. Beans? good! Whole grain high fiber bread? good! They are sectioned off by glycemic value, and only low glycemic ones are mixed with fat. Moderate glycemic ones are mixed with no fat. Although both allow mixing with protein. The French Diet also makes no mention of separating fruits, but it seems Montignac's earlier books did.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-07, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/175/125 Female 5ft 4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Food combining

Quote:
Originally Posted by bride911
i'm very interested in reading more about this, but i'm not sure where to look...is it part of one of the lc plans? i read through the overviews on this site, but i didn't see it in there (which doesn't mean it isn't there, i just didn't see it)..if anyone could give me some info about it or a website to check out i would really appreciate it! thanks!!!

I have only tried the hay diet - lost loads of weight very quickly - i think there's something about food combining that really works - would love to hear about alternative plans along the same lines.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-07, 04:26

Plan: Atkins Phase I/CCLL = 40
Stats: 187/165/135 Female 65 inches
BF:?%/30%/25%
Progress: 42%
Default Glycemic Index (Somersizing)

For me, the food combining is about controlling your insulin level based on the Glycemic Index. You can eat complex carbs combined with veggies and low fat dairy but not with fats and proteins. You can eat fats/proteins, veggies and cream/cheese together but not combined with carbs. You have to wait 3 hours between switching from a pro fats to a pro carbs meal or vice versa but you do not need to wait to eat another meal if your last meal is the same. For example, if you had a carb meal you do not have to wait 3 hours before you have another carb meal but you do if you want to switch to a profat/protein meal. You can have fruit on an empty stomach but you cannot combine it with any other type of food and must wait a half hour before you eat another type of meal.

I follow Suzanne Somers diet... Somersizing. This board can be a bit confusing because there are a few different diets being represented here all under the "food combining" umbrella
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-07, 09:01

Plan: food combining
Stats: 150/140/120 Female 5ft
BF:
Progress:

i just started doing the vegetarian hay diet,i realy enjoyed reading this thread,thankx,i wondered about space between eating,so now i know if you are eating same category of food,you donm't have to wait so long to eat-i was having a very hungry day today!!

thankx
xxxxxxxxxxxx