Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jun-15-05, 10:40

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 108/104/120 Female 5"7"
BF:
Progress:

Thank you all for your replies and ideas ,do you think the flora will kill it off for good to the point we can get back to eating normal food again?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 14:44

Plan: atkins loose
Stats: 160/175/- Male -
BF:
Progress:

I see a lot of posts here which question bacteria used in other formulas.
Example - strep because its sounds like the same bacteria that causes blood poisoning or even strep throat when there are many many strains of strep.

How many forums slate all forms of yeast when their are over 5000 strains and some like Saccharomyces Boulardii can actually be beneficial ??

Anyway - enough ranting - here is a link that will show that certain species of streptococcus and enterococcus are used as probiotic treatment in Europe http://www.dtb.org.uk/dtb/news/pr/041102.pdf . They have been used in Europe and Asia for many years. So either we have been poisoning ourselves since the 30's in Europe or the doctor that said all streptococcus strain are harmful is talking baloney.

Please people - properly research ingredients - sometimes the common names that you find ingredients like bacteria and yeasts listed as merely refers to the taxonomic class or 'family' that is belongs to. Out of this class, you might find that their are 40 or 50 different species, some may be harmful and some may be beneficial but you wont know until you know exactly which bacterial strain or yeast strain is being used.

Last edited by Yoghurt_Bo : Wed, Jun-22-05 at 09:16.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jun-21-05, 17:50

BF:
Progress:

Some Medline sources of the use of Streptococcus faecilis as a probiotic.

Also, for those who dont know, this bacteria is normally found in the Human Gastro Intestinal Tract. Problems can arise when it gets somewhere it shouldnt be. Eg if it overmultiplies in the bladder it causes cystitus.

So it gets a bad rep because when you test for some problems up pops strep - a bit like the story with candida - normal helpful bacteria - used to break down excess waste - becomes a problem when it gets out of control due to excess sugar/refined food consumption or prolonged antibiotic use or certain hormonal imbalances.

Links Probiotic Use in infants:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...2803&query_hl=6

Link 2 used in a probiotic mixture against salmonella ( I am assuming the intended use her is for poultry farms)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...4712&query_hl=3
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 02:15

BF:
Progress:

Looking back over this thread I see that it is suggested that bacillus subtillus is only used for animals. Bacillus subtillus has been in used human healthcare since its discovery by German Scientists in the 1940's.

do a search "bacillus subtillus probiotic" i'll not post any links as you will probably find they go to various health company websites and I am not here to advertise a brand.

I hope everyone on here is doing their own research and not just taking as truth what other people post on here.

Last edited by Yoghurt_Bo : Wed, Jun-22-05 at 09:41.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 06:33
Registered Member

Plan: I dont exactly
Stats: 300/215/- Male 74
BF:
Progress:

sir you are the only one here making wild claims and slandering my name. I'm not even a health care professional. I run and own a computer store. I just happen to have been dealing with this since i was about 6 years old from having megadoses of penicillin because I got spinal meningitis. Honestly I'm fortunate to be alive.

I did do a very through search when i found out about all these products. I posted the links in this thread that I found nothing more. I did not misslead others or in any way lie steal or cheat them. All the info I posted is available on for instance on the fda's website regarding the strep issue.

As for the other parts. I did not mean to imply that the bacteria listed was only for use by animals indeed it is one of the good ingredients in the product. However the use of a known pathogenic substance also does not make me comfortable with it.

And this does not even take into account that it is almost twice as expensive as other products that are marketed for the same purpose. If anybody is trying to push a product it would rather seem to be you.

As for weather or not doctors since the 30's could be lying to us. Well lets say some doctors are more credible than others. The doctor I was referring to is a friend of my mothers and she simply stated all forms of strep are pathogenic. Of course that can be in varying degrees of issues and illness caused but they are still pathogenic.

Why would would you even put something like that in a product knowing it could cause issues with people?
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 06:50

BF:
Progress:

Webmedic
Strep is a natural inhabitant on the intestines !! Its only pathogenic when it multiplies in the wrong place.

Have a look at this link from the textbook of bacteriology
http://textbookofbacteriology.net/normalflora.html if its always pathogenic then we are all doomed as its in our intestines naturally like it or not.

Did you check the medline links to the tests showing strep use as a beneficial probiotic.

Sorry if I seemed to be coming on hard on you but I do not like seeing mis-information posted along side helpful information.

You have to know what to look for when reading Material Data Safety Sheets or even the FDA sheets. For example - a well known colon cleanser and oxygenator contains Magnesium Oxide or Magnesium Peroxide - if you read the safety sheet then you would never allow these products near your body - but when you do some research then you find that there are different grades and some are classified as food grade. So you need to dig a little deeper to find the reality. Apologies if you took any offence.

Also - I think the active bacteria in flora balance and threelac are transient - non colonising bacteria - so you will still need to replenish with good bacteria.

Fermented vegetables is a great way to do this - make your own cabbage rejuvalec or sauerkraut (dont buy it - pasteurising kills the beneficial microbes) Or make your own Kefir if you can handle lactic acid in dairy.

Last edited by Yoghurt_Bo : Wed, Jun-22-05 at 07:09.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 09:43

BF:
Progress:

Webmedic , what fats are you using in your daily diet now that you are on a vegan diet? the body needs good fats for vitamin utilisation and also for good lung function. Are you using olive oil and coconut oil? any marine oils ?
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Aug-07-05, 16:41

Plan: Nourishingtrad.& Pilates!
Stats: 190/140/140 Female 5'10
BF:14/size2/size2
Progress: 100%

I have learned so much reading this thread. I want to try the scd yogurt - what is it and what is the scd diet? Please forgive my ignorance.
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 06:18

Plan: Raw Foodhist & Daoist
Stats: 170/160/145 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Lillylou,
SCD yogurt is long fermented yogurt that you make yourself at home. It has 2 carbs per cup. SCD diet is mostly for people with bowel disease, but they have found that it works for many other disorders too, autism, fibro, MS...etc.

The yogurt is good for anyone who wants probiotics; it is a lot cheaper than buying the pills and it has more probiotic punch than the pills.

SCD site on how to make yogurt: http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle....urt/yoghurt.htm

How I make my Yogurt: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...772&postcount=7

Last edited by MoseyMan : Mon, Aug-08-05 at 06:24.