Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 09:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 211/211/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default meat and egg fast

I am going to try the fat fast for a couple days to get me jump started. I went through a 3 month binge (starting at my 30th bday party and going through holidays) and now that I'm back on induction (and gained 15lbs) I am losing very slowly (for me anyways). I am in trace ketosis, but the scales have only moved a couple lbs in the last two weeks and I'm excercising 3-4 days/week and drinking my 64oz of water. I have a couple questions. Can you have any condiments while on the meat egg fast (mayo,mustartd)? How about cream and splenda in my coffee (1 cup in a.m.)? I want to be able to eat deviled eggs, are they allowed? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 10:38

Plan: BFC
Stats: 182/161/150 Female 5'4"
BF:dont.wanna.know
Progress: 66%

I did the egg fast and I used mayo. I'm not really sure what the rules are. I did a search but can't find what I was looking for. I did it for 3 days and lost 7 pounds. (This was the last time that I did Atkins.) I'm on my 3rd week so it might be a while before I try it again...Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 10:54

Stats: 175/130/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 113%

Do you just eat meat and eggs (and mayo) and that is it? I have been on induction level carbs now for three weeks. I lost a lot of weight in the first week, but close to nill the last 2 weeks. I was thinking of trying that too.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:01

Hello Amanda,

All I really did was eat...
fried eggs in butter
egg salad
scrambled eggs
and deviled eggs.

I did get sick of the eggs, but I did lose weight...

How long have you been doing atkins?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:07

Stats: 211/211/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've been doing Atkins on and off (due to pregnancies) since 1998. I never felt comfortable eating that way while pregnant and nursing (besides with morning sickness, eggs and meat didn't go over well). So, after each pregnancy and once I was done nursing, I have started back up on Atkins. I've lost and regained the same weight after and with each pregnancy (3). I am now done having kids so this time I'm hoping to stick with it. I started in May of '04 and went until Oct '04 and lost 30lbs. Then, stupid me, gave into cravings and my 30th birthday came and then the holidays etc, etc,. So, after eating cookies and sweets nonstop for 3 months and gaining 15lbs, my body is telling me "ENOUGH!". It's now time for me to become a healthy person, so that's where I'm at now.

Thanks!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:20

Lezley,
It looks like you are doing a great job so far! I hear ya about falling off the wagon! My body screamed at me too and having a family of overweight, diabetic, sleep apinia...IT'S TIME!

I too have done Atkins on and off for about 7 years now....NOW IT'S TIME TO BE SERIOUS!

Let me know how it goes! Come and see me in my journal!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:21

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 163/142/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi Lezley,
Welcome to the site! You sound determined. I did the same thing for the whole month of December. My bd, Xmas and New year. 10 pounds later I said no more!
How many kids to you have?

I have never done the meat/eggs fast before but once I'm done Induction I just might give it a try! I LOVE eggs and sometimes am wondering if I'm not eating too much (up to 4 a day sometimes). Is there a limit of how many you should eat?

Thanks!
Renee
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:33

Plan: modified me
Stats: 274/258/199 Female 64
BF:don't want to know
Progress: 21%

This is information that a friend "Lipid" had given me.

Quote:
about the meat/egg fast in my journal....that is what they call it at the other site, but to me its more of an extreme Induction kinda thing...and I was told by someone here that in the first Atkins book(from the 70's), Induction started at 5 carbs a day.

I started out only eating meat and eggs and logging everything in on fitday so it catches the hidden carbs in eggs and so forth, but it got to where I could not stomach another egg so I started eating 2-3 cups of lettuce in place of eggs (for about the same carb amount) with zero carb dressing on it and the results were still as good in my case.

You can have all the Diet Rite you want because it has no carbs....on coffee you have to count the carbs if its instant, but now they say that from grounds it has no carbs...be sure and count the creamer though and any Splenda you use....I just use 1/2 T. of heavy cream in mine ....you can also have tea if you count the carbs and Splenda, but its close to 1 carb per packet... you probably know all these carb count things, but I just want to make sure so if you try this you will have good results.

Several others here have done this and are currently doing it and having good results as well.... the main thing is do not go over 5 carbs a day (for the most loss, some have 6 or 7 and still lose)...also keep the calories low, this won't be hard at all after the first day or 2... the appetite really goes away and so do cravings that you may still have while on OWL.

Another point is to use measuring spoons and food scales for everything (I just use the cheap Walmart kind).... don't guess on anything with a carb count... I do not even guess on meats... for instance with a chicken breast...I weigh it after its cooked and then I weigh the part thats not ate when I'm done and subtract that from the first weight and then enter that in fitday so I know how many ounces I had...also this is not like Stillman's...you can have fatty things and use oil to cook with...just keep track of everything.

I had around 1200 calories the first day on it, and 1000ish the second...but after that I could only eat around 800-900 a day.... I am certain this contributed to my loss...but I can also assure you that before low carb I would have never lost so much weight on 800-900 calories a day.... I was lucky to even lose 1-2 pounds a week on it....I don't think its wise to stay on this for more than 2 weeks at a time.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 12:31

Stats: 175/130/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 113%

I have been doing atkins now going on my 4th week. (induction carbs only and only acceptable foods) I have one daughter, and I am trying to conceive another. I thought I would try and "get thinner" before I gain all that wieght during pregnancy. Right now I weigh 146. With my last pregnancy, I gained a whopping 60 lbs. (gasp) and settled arround 160 after a year. I have lost about 11 or so lbs with atkinds and have a 11 more to go!

The egg thing does sound tough, but...if I am not satisfied with my weight loss in a few weeks I am defenetly going to go for it!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 12:43

Stats: 224/200/175 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:who/gives/a crap
Progress: 49%

I have done all meat before (3 days at a time) and it helped me get out of stalls (and I usually drop about 3-4 lbs). I did use sauces - i.e. bernaise sauce on steak and low carb ketchup on my hebrew national hot dogs and hamburgers. I also cooked in butter and a little EVOO. I wouldn't reccomened it for more than a week. Mainly because you'll never want to look at another piece of meat again!!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 13:03

AMANDA~~

I tried to PM (private message) you but you don't except them. Come and visit me in my journal. I was thinking of all this talk about the meat/egg fasting, maybe we can do this together if ya want. Let me know!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-29-05, 11:46

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207.2/162.6/137.0 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi everyone!
Kinda new here, but what drew me this forum was the egg/meat fast. I've been on Induction for a month now & the past 2weeks I have been the same weight, then I did go down like 2lbs then, nothing! Well, I am on day 2 and i am one pound less! I can't believe how I don't even get hungry ! I have had to make myself eat!
I like to use the metabostix here and there just for fun, i don't get hung up on them too much, but for awhile there it was light pink, now it is deep purple! I was like whoa! Although, my clothes are fitting better, its still nice to see the scale go down here & there too! Right?! I will keep ya posted on the total i lost on this fast on Monday!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-31-05, 09:16

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 207.2/162.6/137.0 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 64%

Well, my total loss was only one pound. I'll tell ya, by the 2nd day, i was feeling nauseated, that i'd prefer not to eat! For just that one pound...not worth it! I probably lost that on my own just working out! Never new i could miss my veggies way too much. Today I am gonna have my "Zucchini Fettucini" (thinly sliced baby zucchini, it resemble fettucini, hence the name, in a butter/cream sauce with a chicken breast) YUM!!