Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-18, 21:03

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Where you at? How are your workouts going. Post somthing, I need some inspiration!

Hey! I’ve been working out pretty religiously Monday through Friday. I went on an 18 day road trip through North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. I had many almost Thud-worthy adventures which included: lots of hiking (one trail with a log rope), backcountry camping with llamas, spelunking in a cave with a 10 inch high opening, kayaking, and whitewater rafting.

Skating started back up for the summer. I am up to twice a week. Thursday’s are late nights, but it’s mostly adults at that hour so we can have more fun than when we are surrounded by the kids.

I have had some personal issues going on, too. I may or may not talk about that in my journal. Working out has been one of the things keeping me somewhat sane.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-18, 03:59

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thanks for the update and staying busy with that 18 day road trip. Sounds insane! Hope you get some time soon on Lake S - it was SO WARM the other day at Park Point that you could swim in swimsuit... Believe it... OR NOT! ha!

PS, thanks for visiting my Exercise Log Glad you're doing good.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 06:13

BF:

The end of June I won a MyZone fitness belt in my gym. I only had it a couple days before I went on my road trip. When I got back, I had some issues with it not recording right. Like not recording the first 15 minutes of a workout. Or only the first 20 of my rink workout. This thing is supposed to record data and upload it to my gym and an app on my phone or sync with my Apple Watch.

It is not as straightforward as it should be. The Hubs went into full engineering test mode. Had to end up resetting it and doing some testing. It took almost two weeks to get the thing working right. All the while I am getting frustrated because it’s not recording all my effort.

How it works is that you get MEPs (MyZone Effort Points) based on your heart rate percentage.
Red: 90-100% = 4 MEPs/min
Yellow : 80-89%= 4 MEPs/min
Green: 70-79%= 3 MEPs/min
Blue: 60-69%= 2 MEPs/min
Gray: 50-59%= 1 MEP/min

It keeps track of all your “Moves” (workouts) and tally’s the MEPs for each day/week/month/year. There is a leaderboard at my gym with the top 20 MEP getters of the month. Late last week, I showed up at #18. Jumped up to #16 on Friday. Was sitting at #17 yesterday with one day left in the month.

As of yesterday, I had 3144 MEPs. #1 has 4754. Not too shabby for me considering I was on vacation for 8 days at the beginning of the month and the belt was not recording right the first week & a half. Next month should be interesting to see where I shake out.
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-18, 07:14

BF:

Dang computers! Dang Phones! Dang all that stuff, but they are heaps of fun and allow us to do things that were not imaginable before. I like that idea of having a board at the gym displaying results for those that want to participate. I can get super competitive with that kind of stuff so I stay away, trying to stay clear of the three C's; Comparison, Comparison and Conceit - but that's just my nature, to fall into their trap, or at least be mindful that I have.

Hey BTW, have you ever been to "The Oval"? Indoor/Outdoor skating paradise ! There was this one kid there this weekend that had some "speed skate" inline blades that was training and BLAZING around the conctete track. Holly F! this kid was FAST.

Its also my understanding that they flood this concrete area (the size of a running track - all smooth concrete. In the early fall and can keep it in good shape into spring as it's got refridgeration under it. Also attached is a super sheet of ice with 2 levels for spectators. Check out the schedule if you're looking for ice time or if you have inline skates you can work your ass off out there. I mostly have been trying to re-learn the little half pipes and different longboard moves. Best time is early before all the groms get out there and make me want to quit skateboarding forever! (ha, see there's comparison right there...)

Skate On Renee!

https://www.skatetheoval.com/
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Aug-01-18, 10:10

BF:

Yes, I have been to the Oval. I have friends that are very involved with hockey program. I also have a friend who’s son is involved with the Midway Speed Skating Club that is based there. He is really good and won some silver medals in National events. He does inline skating there in the summer.

They have held skating 5Ks at the Oval. I wanted to do them but had other commitments. Then I heard that it was not very good because it gets super crowded. Maybe I will get to try it this winter.

Competition is a weird thing. I will give in to it sometimes but other times, I get a bit cranky about it. I didn’t want one of these belts in the first place because I really don’t think that fitness is about who gets the most MEPs in a month. I am looking at the data it gives and trying to make my workouts more efficient. The top woman was 4900+ MEPs and the top guy was 5600+ My MEPs for the month was 3654.

It’s weird because this morning they had the leaderboard split- top 10 August/top 10 July. I was number 7 in August with 43. Where that number came from I have no clue. The skate workout from 7/31 that would have uploaded was 204. My app says I did 150 today. Gotta love technology. We’ll see what it says tomorrow.

Last edited by ReneeH20 : Wed, Aug-01-18 at 10:16.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Aug-03-18, 18:59

BF:

Had a great skate session last night. Coach L worked us hard, but it is always fun & challenging. Loving being back on the ice regularly. Wore my belt combined with the morning workout resulted in 558 MEPs and 1457 calories burned.

Had my training session with Dan this morning. Saw that I was top of the leaderboard with 708 MEPs. That is actually accurate according to the app. So yay for that. Got 219 (559 Calories burned) more during my workout so will be leading with 927 into the weekend. For the record, there are 51 people with belts at my gym.

Today’s workout with Dan I call: Jump Around. My 50 yo bladder does not like this workout.

Circuit #1 x3 (30-30-40 secs)
Bosu toe taps
Bosu hop squats
Lateral Bosu hops with a twist plus bear crawl
Single leg lateral step ups + hop/reach
Bosu plank

Circuit #2 (30 reps/each)
Med ball slams
Med ball jack press
Wall ball squats
Sit ups
Alternating side planks
Assisted pull ups
Weighted plate head revolutions

Hoping to get on the stair climber this weekend with my backpack. Planning to climb a fire tower with 164 steps next weekend.
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Aug-04-18, 06:09

BF:

"My 50 yo bladder does not like this workout." haha! funny. Thanks for the morning chuckle. yeah, looks wet around here today, might try after lunch to get out somewhere

You and yours have a great one!
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 13:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
"My 50 yo bladder does not like this workout." haha! funny. Thanks for the morning chuckle. yeah, looks wet around here today...

I see what you did there.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-18, 14:15

BF:

Did the Jump Around workout this morning. Lots of red & yellow zone in that workout.

My Monday workouts have been the lowest MEPs of the week. I’d hoped to get in the gym on Sunday night and do some training for my upcoming hiking/camping weekend. I went to the movies instead. I dropped to 3rd place over the weekend. Seeing that I could catch 2nd place by doing 220 MEPs I figured I would work on my hiking cardio. I was already at 140 and my stretching gets me about 40.

I did 5 mins 15 secs on the stairs climber at 48 steps per minute until I got 250 steps (164 on the fire tower). Then I did 15 mins on the treadmill at various inclines trying to simulate some steep trails. I was walking fairly slow though. It took me 19 mins to do one mile. The hike I want to do next weekend is 3.5 miles. After stretching, I came away with 350 MEPs. So yes, I have already succumb to the ugliness of competition.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Aug-07-18, 14:21

BF:

Did my functional skating this morning workout except that I skipped the assisted pull ups since I did them yesterday. The last few times I did this workout I’ve added in the one minute of the skater hop/lunge exercises between the other exercises. I just feel like it’s a good functional exercise especially for skating jumps.

90 mins of exercise. 269 MEPs. 696 Calories. Average Heart Rate 136. Effort 75%.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-18, 13:10

BF:

Group skate lessons last night. Wore the belt got 179 MEPs for my 45 minute session. Ended up talking to Coach A during the power so not as much effort there. I worked on my back spin a lot and was getting about 4-5 revs with crossed feet by the end of the night. My spinning has really improved but my jumps have gone into the toilet.

Gym: I call this workout “Dan tried to kill me but didn’t quite succeed” My session got moved from Friday to Monday due to some scheduling conflicts.

Stair Climber 3 mins. Start at 5 and go up a level every 30 second until 8.

Circuit 1
Air squats (20,18,16...2)
Air renegade rows (2,4,6....20)
*22 but varying the amount of squats/rows

Stair climber x 3 mins

Circuit #2
Step back lunges (20,18,16....2)
Knee push ups (2,4,6....20)

Stair Climber x 3 mins

Circuit #3 x 3
Heavy sled push (90#) 20 yards
TRX squat/lunge combo (4/4)

This workout was tough. First the stair Climber. That thing is scary. You are up quite high on that thing. It’s got escalator like stairs but steeper. Plus my feet are too big. If I put my foot on entire step, the toe of my shoe gets a bit crunched. I have to really pay attention to my stepping so I don’t fall off. And yes, I have fallen off that dumb thing. It took a big chunk out of my shin. This time I talked him down from level 12 to 8. No falls this time but it took total concentration.

Second the push ups. I have struggled with upper body exercises and push ups especially. Apparently people with long limbs & torsos have a more difficult time doing push ups. When I got to the 14, 16, 18, & 20 sets, they were tough. I was working on sheer willpower to do them without stopping. I am actually pretty darn proud of myself.

I survived and I get to do this again on Friday & Monday. A lady even stopped me in the parking lot and told me how good I did today. That was so nice of her.

84 minutes with stretching. 256 MEPs. 686 calories. Average Heart Rate 142. Effort 79%.

I regained the lead yesterday & was still in the lead this morning with 1722. Next person had 1695. Today’s MEPs put me at 1978.
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Aug-10-18, 08:45

BF:

Yesterday’s gym workout was more functional. I didn’t hit as many machines as I got a pretty good full body workout out on Weds. I mostly focused on off ice jump technique as well as some time on the spinner. Progress: getting a whole rev around on my forward camel and 1.5 revs in my back sit.

Dan came by and saw me working on some jump technique and said “You still got some in those legs. I should have worked you harder yesterday.” Ugh. No. This is technique work not power.

77 minutes. 232 MEPs. 580 calories. Average Heart Rate 137. 76% effort.

Last night was skate team practice. Our coach had hip surgery a month ago. It was bothering her so we had a captain practice. We were worked on a couple section our Bollywood program. Mostly from the flash mob portion to the end. We also spent a bit of time reworking the ending. None of us really liked it. We do quite a bit of cool kaleidoscope things with our scarves throughout and the end was kind blah. This one has more attitude.

60 minutes. 232 MEPs. 580 calories. Average Heart Rate 137. 76% effort.

Interesting that the two workouts were close to identical.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Aug-18-18, 16:34

BF:

Week of 8/12/18

Mon - Gym - Dan almost killed me work out
74 mins MEPs 231 calories 598 Effort 78% AHR 141

Tues - Gym - Functional Off Ice
90 mins MEPs 265 Calories 679 Effort 75% AHR 134

Rink - Group Lesson
45 mins MEPs 177 Calories 469 Effort 72% AHR 129
Spins are on fire 🔥 My camel spins are almost passing now. 4 revs and Coach G said they look like & she’s tough.

Weds - Training session with Dan - 10x10
Alternating cardio 2-4 mins depending on how long it took to get my heart rate up into the 90% (incline treadmill walk, rowing machine, stair Climber) with strength exercises to muscle burn out
Bicep curls (35#) 12 reps
Chest press (50#) 20 reps
Prone leg curl (60#) 18 reps
Triceps rope pull (40#) 20 reps
Shoulder press (30#) 12 reps
Seated row (55#) 15 reps
Lat pull down (70#) 20 reps
Leg press (115#) 25 reps
Pull up assist (150#) 15 reps
Leg extensions (70#) 15 reps

86 mins MEPs 247 Calories 641 Effort 74% AHR 134

In the evening the Hubs & I went on a 30 minute walk through the neighborhood. Didn’t wear the belt but the Hubs complained that I was walking too fast.

Thurs - Gym - Functional off ice stuff
84 mins MEPs 217 Calories 565 Effort 71% AHR 127

Rink - Team practice but lots of chatting going on
65 mins MEPs 151 Calories 428 Effort 61% AHR 110
Redid the flash mob portion of the program & it is awesome. Also I feel like my back sit spin is back. I was able to get it up to 4 revs from 2 and get it lowered a bit. Also managed to do a couple back sit to forward sit spins. Coach L said the transition was good so was pleased with that. Just need to work on making them both lower.

Friday- Gym - 10x10 with 8 mins of incline treadmill walk to get ready for the Devils Kettle Hike.
86 mins MEPs 251 Calories 650 Effort 76% AHR 136

Saturday - we parked across the river & took the Stone Arch Bridge across the Mississippi River to US Bank Stadium for the pre-season game against the Jags. From my car to my seat:
35 mins, 1.4 miles, 149 Calories, AHR 108 x 2

Still maintaining the lead into the weekend with 4051 MEPs. I don’t count stuff I do on the weekend so I may be in second or third when I get back.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-18, 14:08

BF:

Monday - Gym
10x10 work out but added another 10. 10 minutes of incline walking. I started at level 10 for one minute, level 9 one minute, level 8 one minute...etc down to level 1 for minute 9:00-10:00. This is training for hill hiking which I am hoping to do over Labor Day Weekend.

Also tried to boost up the number of reps 2-5 in the weight exercises.

95 mins 308 MEPs 816 Calories AHR 144 80% Effort

Tuesday
Gym- Off-Ice training: spin trainer, jump walk throughs, etc Plus back to doing RDLs...hadn’t done any in awhile and it showed...these are great for balance & strength in the spiral/arabesque/camel positions.

98 mins 300 MEPs 777 Calories 138 AHR 77% Effort

Rink-Group lesson. After 15 mins of power, did a lot of jumping- trying to fix the toe loop technique that coach L doesn’t like. Coach G had me work on the draw back. She also reminded me to keep my freehip up on backspin. Amazing how much better & easier it was.

45 mins 162 MEPs 428 Calories 134 AHR 74% Effort

Wednesday-Gym
10x10x10 added extra time to the cardio so I was doing 2.5 mins on the incline treadmill & stairclimber, 3 mins on the rowing machine (that thing would stubbornly stay at 88-89% until about 2:35. I am a tad bit OCD about ending on even numbers.

104 mins 327 MEPs 842 Calories AHR 141 78% Effort

My plan is to work as hard as I can through the month of August and then to scale it back to more manageable time frame. 45-50 minutes strength/cardio and then my 20 minutes of stretching. Just want to see if I can get 7000 MEPS before the month is done. Currently at 5187.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-18, 15:13

BF:

Found this article for backpacking on keto. Also very interesting because it says you should go as slow as you can & not raise your heart rate. Hmmmm Kinda goes against what some trainers say. https://alpinescience.com/keto-backpacking/