Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-19-09, 18:25

Plan: coconut oil
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default candida and psoriasis

Hi All, first time poster. I am a psoriasis sufferer for 16 years (im 30 now) and i find it has been getting worse every year as i got older. I also suffer from foggy head, anxiety. Lately I have been very stressed out and after heavy drinking sessions, my skin condition would get worse and more aggressive so i did some research on Yeast and its affect on psoriasis.

From what i gather a link does exist (but not scientifically proven or is it?) so i have decided to start a yeast free diet as best i can.

3 weeks ago i gave up alcohol and cigarettes for good and 6 days ago i bought my first jar of virgin coconut oil. I eat 600g of veggy shake (includes 6 types of veg and a head of lettuce) every day. I have now started to add 1 big teaspoon of coconut oil to the shake. I also have a cup of green tea during the day with another spoon of cocunut oil. My dinners consist of either fish +2veg and some potatoes or else chinese stlyle curries using brown rice.

I also east a small fruit bowl containing grapes, apples, kiwi for breakfast.

I have a salad containig egg (i also use salad cream) and a chicken sandwich in brown bread for lunch also.

So my question is, will i still be able to kill of the candida if i still consume a brown bread sandwich 5 days a week, and use stuff like salad cream which i think is bad?

What fruits are safe to eat?

Today i felt like i was coming down with flu symptons, pains and aches in my body and fuzzy head. The flus has been going around the office so i dont know if i have caught something or is it die off.

By the way i also put cocunut oil on my psoriasis and i found it a brilliant moisturiser and it seems to have taken the agressiveness out of it , so after 6 days using coconut oil i am pleasantly surprised with it. the psoriais has gone from my hairline aove my forehead.

If anyone else here has success stories about treating psoriasis thriough yeast elimination i would love to hear them.

Many thanks

JPR
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 08:21

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I think there are people on the forum who have treated psoriasis with a gluten-free diet -- in other words, no, don't eat any bread. Also you might need to avoid soy sauce and any other ingredients that contain wheat, rye or barley. A gluten-free diet cured me of "brain fog" and anxiety too.

In addition to that, it might help to eliminate the rice. Some candida diets say it's ok, but others say to avoid it. It's got lots of carbs anyway. As for fruit, I think that's a serious no-no for candida.

It sounds like you're going for low-fat meats - chicken and fish. Is that on purpose? One of the reasons coconut oil is effective is because it's high in saturated fat. You can also get that from beef, lamb, bison and pork fat. Fish might even be a problem if you have a heavy metal overload, which is common in candida cases.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 13:01

BF:
Progress:

thanks for the reply. Yes i try to avoid red meats as i notice im pretty sluggish after i eat it, but i do still have it about once a month. I only eat fresh sea fish to avoid the high mercury levels in farmed fish and the rest of my dinners are usually chicken or turkey.

I will start to avoid bread from now on for the next 4 weeks and see how i go. However im not going to become a label police and rule everything with gluten out just the main stuff like breads and biscuits and pasta.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-20-09, 13:40

Label police? I don't read labels. Except that, um, I don't eat anything with labels .

You might get some temporary benefits from eliminating high-dose gluten, but if it's really the cause of your psoriasis, it's really worth totally eliminating it. It's not like a toxin that your body can process in low doses, it's an allergen that will send your immune system into a panic whatever the amount.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-01-09, 18:06

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%

You might want to check out this link

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/index.php

or alternately google the MOVES diet.
http://www.naturallythriving.com/basics/cfd.php

Both of these are anti-candida and basically eliminate ALL

starches (including rice, bread, potatoes and legumes)
sugars (including fruit, honey, molassas, and artificial sweenteners)
fungus and molds (mushrooms, truffles)
nuts and nut butters
dairy (except butter)
vinegars and pickled things (vinegar, pickles, pickled vegetables, pickled eggs)
alcohol or malted things (especially beer)

It's pretty restrictive but it works. At the very least you shouldn't really be eating sugars or starches AT ALL with candida. Just my 2 cents. Take a look at the websites and see what you think. There are also a couple of groups floating around on yahoo (curingcandida and candidiasis) that might be useful.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 05:20
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

HI jpr2009

I also had psoriasis in the "raindrop" form at the time when a lot of my systemic candida symptoms also began. Actually, the only dietary thing I found which helped it initially was giving up red meat and cutting down on meat generally.

Fish oil capsules and cod liver oil helped a lot too. Plus, the best cream I found for it was an OTC cream called "coal tar cream" which completely got rid of it when I used it. If it came back (it was worse in winter) I cut back on the "bad" holiday foods and meats and used the cream again.

Don't know if that helps, but I hope it might.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 13:47

BF:
Progress:

thanks for input annjen. i only eat red meat once a month myself. i used coal tar when i was younger. never again, too messy and smelly and wasnt any use to me at the time.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-09, 13:59

Lately I've been wondering if omega-6 polyunsaturated fats are responsible for a lot of the same problems that we blame on carbs. Meat produced in feedlots, with a diet high in omega-6-containing grains, has much more omega-6 than grassfed/pastured meat. I've observed that while eating corn-fed hamburger sometimes makes me feel a bit run-down, I can usually fix it by eating some grass-fed hamburger.