Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 08:39

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 292.5/192.5/150 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:ho/ho/ho
Progress: 70%
Default LC and Callanetics... Lets talk about results baby!!

SO I have searched all over the internet about Callanetics and I've heard INCREDIBLE reviews. But being the kind of person I am, I need some more proof. I know a lot of people on this BB have tried them so HELP ME OUT... TELL ME YOUR RESULTS!!!!

What was your weight when you started Callanetics?
How much weight did you lose? Do you think it was the LC or did Callanetics help?
Did you measure? If so, what were your inches lost? Where? In how many sessions?
Did you do Callanetics everyday? If not, how many times per week?
Did you incorporate some kind of cardio? If so, what?
Do you still do Callanetics? How did you increase the intensity?
Books or vids? Which is better?
Tell me the truth... are your arms still giggly? When you wave how is your arm lookin'?
Are you interested in a Callanetics challenge?

Sorry for the long survey, but thanks in advance for the info guys!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-08, 18:52

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 155/125/125 Female 62 inches
BF:21
Progress: 100%

I actually started Callanetics to replace my daily power walking to nudge me out of a 3 week stall. That was November 17, and I've lost 3 pounds since then. BUT, I'm also doing Atkins at the same time, so I can't say for sure how much that has to do with Callanetics. Actually, it should help weight loss in the same way lifting weights would, because it tones your muscles. It is a very slimming exercise regimen.

I don't have any before and after pictures, but I did take my measurements.
Bust: no change
Bra Strap area: -2 inches
Waist: -1 inch
Hips: -1 inch
Each Thigh: -1.75 inch
Each Calf: -0.75

I actually started out by trying to alternate Callanetics and walking. I kind of fell in love with the way Callanetics makes me feel and dropped the walking entirely within a week, lol. If you really focus on the exercises exactly as the instructor tells you, you can't help but finish feeling very Zen. (This took a couple of weeks for me, btw.)

I've only ever used the video, but I can see the advantages that both might have. I chose the videos; I didn't know that there were books.

I've actually had the opportunity to pick an instructor's brain (Sandra Hanna, one of the Evolution instructors), and she said cardio is a must. She suggested either walking or Cardio Callanetics M-W-F and 10/10 or Evolution on T-Th-Sa. I still haven't gotten a copy of Cardio, so I'm experimenting with doing Callanetics in the mornings and walking at night. The only problem with that is that I skip walking most of the time.

If you're concerned about toning your arms, get some resistance bands to do on odd days, when you do your cardio. I can link you to some good resistance band exercises if you want them. I've heard (and let me stress that I do not know this for sure) that Evolution is better for getting your arms in shape, too.

When it's time to increase intensity, Sandra recommended Super Callanetics. But, trust me, the 10/10 or Evolution should be intense enough for you for quite some time! (We're talking 100 reps for most of the exercises.)

I would absolutely ADORE starting a Callanetics challenge. I've only been posting here for half a day, so I don't know how much interest there is around here. But, if we can get enough of us together, I'm definitely in!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 07:35

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 292.5/192.5/150 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:ho/ho/ho
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevaboo
I actually started Callanetics to replace my daily power walking to nudge me out of a 3 week stall. That was November 17, and I've lost 3 pounds since then. BUT, I'm also doing Atkins at the same time, so I can't say for sure how much that has to do with Callanetics. Actually, it should help weight loss in the same way lifting weights would, because it tones your muscles. It is a very slimming exercise regimen.

I don't have any before and after pictures, but I did take my measurements.
Bust: no change
Bra Strap area: -2 inches
Waist: -1 inch
Hips: -1 inch
Each Thigh: -1.75 inch
Each Calf: -0.75

I actually started out by trying to alternate Callanetics and walking. I kind of fell in love with the way Callanetics makes me feel and dropped the walking entirely within a week, lol. If you really focus on the exercises exactly as the instructor tells you, you can't help but finish feeling very Zen. (This took a couple of weeks for me, btw.)

I've only ever used the video, but I can see the advantages that both might have. I chose the videos; I didn't know that there were books.

I've actually had the opportunity to pick an instructor's brain (Sandra Hanna, one of the Evolution instructors), and she said cardio is a must. She suggested either walking or Cardio Callanetics M-W-F and 10/10 or Evolution on T-Th-Sa. I still haven't gotten a copy of Cardio, so I'm experimenting with doing Callanetics in the mornings and walking at night. The only problem with that is that I skip walking most of the time.

If you're concerned about toning your arms, get some resistance bands to do on odd days, when you do your cardio. I can link you to some good resistance band exercises if you want them. I've heard (and let me stress that I do not know this for sure) that Evolution is better for getting your arms in shape, too.

When it's time to increase intensity, Sandra recommended Super Callanetics. But, trust me, the 10/10 or Evolution should be intense enough for you for quite some time! (We're talking 100 reps for most of the exercises.)

I would absolutely ADORE starting a Callanetics challenge. I've only been posting here for half a day, so I don't know how much interest there is around here. But, if we can get enough of us together, I'm definitely in!

Wow, thanks for the info! We should def start a Callanetics challenge, I think I'm gonna go do that now!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-08, 08:54

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

After a few sessions of 10/10 my hips and knees begin to bother me. Too bad for me. The same thing happened with
Lott Berk's program. People love callenetics though. Good
luck! Maybe I should start with fewer reps.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-08, 11:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Dukan
Stats: 234/168/115 Female 5ft5inch
BF:
Progress: 55%

I have just compleated my first hour of Callanetics and i feel really good for it. I am planning to do the dvd once a day a long with Atkins. I would be up for the Callanetics challenge, it will help me make sure i do do the dvd every day!

How would we measure results? Start weight, end weight, upper arm circumference, chest, waist, hips, upper thigh and calf? And how long do you think we would need to do it over to see real results, i guess at least a month. Let me know what you guys think.

Helen x
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-08, 16:53

Sorry I didn't see ya there, Helen! I just kind of figured that Callanetics wasn't going to be a big deal on this forum, and I stopped checking after a few silent days.

I had planned to check my measurements on a monthly basis at first, but after a week, I could tell there was a difference, so I checked my measurements. I posted those numbers earlier in the thread.

So, you might see results sooner than in a month. I've only been doing this since 11/18 (24 days), and I've already lost:
1 inch from my bust (but I'm still a B cup, thankfully)
2.5 inches from my bra strap area
2.75 from my waist
2 inches from my hips
2.5 inches from each thigh
1 inch from my calves

You'll be seeing results in a month for certain!

Which video do you have? I've got 10/10, Evolution, and Cardio. I've actually only ever done 10/10, though. I tried Cardio once, but my 4 yo was trying to 'help', so I just gave up, haven't tried again. I probably ought to, but I'm basically content with 10/10 right now, so I've been lazy about it.

I found these before and after pictures on another forum. The lady took pics at 3, 5, and 8 hours. And you can already see a difference. http://www.longhaircareforum.com/fo...=209077&page=13

I took before pics and plan to take more at 20 hours. (For some reason, that seems to be the magic number with Callanetics folks, so I'm playing along.) Unfortunately, I haven't been keeping track of my hours, but I know I started doing it 5 days a week around the beginning of December. So, I'll probably take my 'in progress' pics after next week. It'll be close enough.

My before pictures are really embarassing. I can't believe I let myself go like I did! I used to be in really good shape, not that you can tell by the rolls hanging off of me, lol!

But, I think it would be great if we used this thread for that, to keep ourselves accountable. Maybe we can set goals for ourselves at the beginning of each month, and then just check in throughout the month to keep ourselves on track?
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-08, 02:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

There's a major ongoing Callanetics Challenge at Low Carb Friends. There's a thread of progress photos, plus they have a monthly thread in which they all state how many hours they're committing to for the month.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/e...-challenge.html

I like the idea of committing to monthly hours, but I don't want to participate in another forum, plus a simpler, smaller group would suit me better. I'd be interested in participating in a Challenge here.

What would work for me would be a list of names, plus exercise intentions for the month, which we could amend as the month progresses. For example:

DECEMBER (2 weeks left)

Kirsteen - 3 hours (2 full workouts, 2 arms, 2 tum, 2 hips/thighs)
Mary - 6 hours (3 full Cardio Callanetics workouts each week)
Jasmine - 1 3/4 hours (7 sessions of hips/thighs stretches/exercises )

For anyone with limitations who'd like to try Callanetics, I'd suggest that you get at "Callanetics for Beginners" - it is conducted at a very gentle pace, with an emphasis on approaching the exercises with care, to suit people like me who have physical limitations. I've been able to adapt the exercises to do them lying down in bed, as and when I feel able.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Sat, Dec-13-08 at 02:35.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-08, 13:05
Registered Member

BF:

Bevaboo, i have 10/10 at the moment, i didn't know that there were other videos available!

I will take my measurements now and will report back next Sunday what the changes if any are!

I am planning to do it 5 times next week and so far i have done the video 4 times and i am in my third week of induction.

Helen x
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 09:48

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%

I've been doing it every other day. I love the way I feel after doing Callanetics.

I don't take measurements, and I very rarely jump on my scale. I'm in a lifetime battle with my addictions (sugar), so this WOL is not about the numbers for me, but about being clean and healthy. But I know I look and feel better when I do Callanetics.

I do the 10 in 10 video. When I was younger, I did Super Callanetics, but I don't think I could manage that now.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-08, 14:51

Duffy, there are a few others besides 10 in 10. Cardio Callanetics, Callanetics AM/PM (for those who don't have time to do the whole thing all at once), Quick Callanetics--one each for the stomach. the legs and the hips and derriere, Beginning Callanetics (for newbs, mostly, but I've heard of people with physical limitations using it to help them figure out how to alter the exercises to suit them), and Callanetics Evolution. And the one I won't brave for a very long time, 'cause I'm still in bad shape, Super Callanetics.

I have a copy of Evolution, AM/PM, and Cardio, but I haven't braved Evolution yet, so I can't tell you anything about it. I tried AM/PM, but I just didn't like splitting it up, so... And I need to watch Cardio a whole lot more to figure it out. It's not hard at all. I'm just SUPER uncoordinated. Like more uncoordinated than my 2-1/2 year old!

Kirsteen, I actually tried to post at LCF, but the group was too big for me. It was too hard to keep up with! So, I'm kind of like you in that I prefer a smaller group.

Can I join the challenge here? My goal is 4x a week.

DECEMBER (2 weeks left)

Kirsteen - 3 hours (2 full workouts, 2 arms, 2 tum, 2 hips/thighs)
Mary - 6 hours (3 full Cardio Callanetics workouts each week)
Jasmine - 1 3/4 hours (7 sessions of hips/thighs stretches/exercises )
Bevaboo - 8 hours (10/10, try to watch Cardio a few more times!)

Also, there's another Callanetics thread on the forum, and I was thinking that it might be a good idea to get everyone together for one thread? It was/is an info sharing type thread, but a couple of the ladies there expressed interest in starting a challenge. Should I maybe post a message there telling 'em to come on over if they're interested?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-08, 08:38

Plan: no bread,pasta,potatoes
Stats: 160/158/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm in! I started my personal 10 in 10 day challenge on Friday. So far I've done the following:
12/12: Callanetics evolution + 30 mins treadmill
12/13: Callanetics evolution + 30 mins treadmill
12/14: Super Callanetics, weights for upper body, and 30 mins treadmill (this was my super Sunday)
12/15: Callanetics evolution + 30 mins treadmill
Main goal is to do something every day and to see a change at the end of 10 days. And to eventually get to the point where I am on a maintenance program. The weight program I am using is called Power of 10. It calls for slow motion using heavy weights only every 3-4 days. Because Callanetics really works my abs and lower body I use the weights for upper body only. My other goal is not to gain weight over the holidays. Wish me luck.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-08, 13:21

Plan: no bread,pasta,potatoes
Stats: 160/158/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

update: dec 16 -Callanetics Evolutions + 30 mins treadmill
dec 17- Callanetics (regular one 1 hour) + 30 mins treadmill. This was the first time in a while I've done the regular one and found I really liked it. I will be mixing them up for sure.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-08, 23:22

Update on my progress:

2/8 hours for December (all of 10/10) - Monday and Wednesday

I'm sticking with 10/10, mostly because I'm not bored with it yet. Planning to work out Thursday, Friday and Saturday, if I can.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-08, 15:34

4 of 8 hours complete so far, with plans to do this again after my girls are in bed. I should have taken measurements two days ago, but... Guess I'll do them tonight, too.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-08, 06:44
Registered Member

BF:

I have done 9 hours of 10/10 and my husband did my meausrements on saturday, i have lost 5.5 inches!!!! I am well chuffed Planing to try and do 10/10 every day over the holidays and stick to plan as close as possible.