Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 173/160/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 30%
Default Coffee can make you fat

I glanced at an article in Woman's World magazine that states that coffee can make you fat. Of course on the cover was a lovely, thin woman claiming to have lost 23 lbs just by cutting out coffee. Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy!! The article mentioned several reasons, but the first two were:

-Coffee makes you crave high fat foods (don't remember how)

-Coffee releases insulin, the fat storage hormone (no surprise)

It went on to report how several "Stars" had made the switch to tea for better health (I guess because if they made the switch, it must be good! )

I picked up the magazine because for the past few months, after reading about caffeine in several of the LC books, I've been wondering if caffeine (not just coffee) is playing a bigger role in my fat storage than I thought.

Did anyone else read the article that could expand on this? Does anyone have any thoughts on Tea vs. Coffee? I'm going to make the switch to see if it makes a difference.

Carolyn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-22-02, 23:19
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 235/193/128
BF:
Progress: 39%
Question Caffeine

I have been asking myself the same question and looking at lots of research to see what I could find out about caffeine as distinct from coffee (or tea, which also has caffeine in a lower dose). Also what about diet cola? It has caffeine.

Can anyone help us with answers to our question? I have switched over to decaf coffee (water decaffeination process) and want to know if that is okay. Also how much insulin does coffee or caffeine stimulate the release of?

I know that caffeine is a muscle relaxant and will relax the muscles of the small and large intestine to relax - causing constipation and the sphincter on top of the stomach to relax - causing reflux. I have experienced the reflux often if I have had a couple of cups of espresso or plunger coffee.

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Gemma in Australia
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-24-02, 01:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default it may be even more complicated...

Ihere was a study in The Netherlands some years ago, at a reputable research university, on the apparent effects of unfiltered coffee on "bad" cholesteral levels... ultimately narrowed down to cafestol (?), if I remember correctly, which is a component of the oils in roasted coffee which is very much higher in plunger or espresso or percolated (does anybody still do this?) coffee (any unfiltered coffee method).

In concern with caffeine stimulating the adrenals which in turn stimulate a release of glycogen from the liver and THEN a responsive rise insulin, well, it's downhill from there!

I'm thinking it's this combination (and maybe more!) that makes the good Dr. A so darn specific about coffee rather than caffeine...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 20:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/210/199 Male 6ft 1
BF:
Progress: 88%
Wink My 2-cents

I don't know much about the science behind the coffee question, but I can tell you this.
My sister has been on Atkin's for over a year now and has continued to drink black regular coffee (non-decaf) the whole time. She has had great results with this WOL and has never said she's had a problem with any of the items you have spoke of.

Just figured I list this info for ya-all.

Cheers, John

PS: I dropped coffee for the first 6-months completly. I currently have 1-2 cups a week now. Only when I really feel like having one.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 21:43
Registered Member

BF:
Smile Coffee Consternation

Cheers Carolyn, Judi and John

The plot thickens!

Is there any written information out there that would give us more anwers? I would like to read the article Judi mentioned done in the Netherlands that mentioned "Cafestol".

I have recently bought an espresso/cappuccino machine, wouldn't you know it, and I love my coffee. I was hoping it was caffeine and that I could drink lots of water-decaffeinated coffee. However I know that there are lots of other things in coffee, so that is a worry if it is something else besides the caffeine that can cause an insulin "rush".

I will have to do a little more searching I think.

Perhaps some are more sensitive to coffee than others and John's sister is one of the lucky ones who isn't as sensitive to the chemicals in coffee.

John, have you noticed any differences in weight loss, health etc since cutting back so much on your coffee?

Regards

Gemma
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 05:35

BF:
Wink Coffee

Hi Gemma.

I have not noticed any big changes, after adding a cup or 2 a week. But remember, coffee has carbs, something like 0.8-0.93 carbs per cup. It usually not listed on the can because it's under 1-carb. Add up a few cups per day.... humm.

I do get a little hyped up, sometimes a little jittery after a cup. Most of the time I don't finish one. It's a nice change from water, when eating out.

Again, have not noticed anything big in weight loss, or lack there of, since adding a cup, but I am close to goal weight and losing the last 5-20lbs is taking a while.

Wish I could have been more help to you. The only thing to do is experiment, try a week or 2 without coffee. See what happens with your weight loss trend.

Cheers, John
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 20:46
Registered Member

BF:
Default To Coffee or Not to Coffee...

Hi John

Thanks for your comments.

After I posted yesterday, I decided to do a search on the Web and came up with lots of info on Cafestol and Caffeine. The Cafestol information was interesting, as in one area (LDL cholesterol) it increases the blood serum level, but in another (Lipoprotein(a)), it appears to reduce the blood serum level! (which is a good thing as an increased level of Lp(a) has been shown to be an independent indicator for an increased likelihood of developing heart disease).

As far as caffeine goes, there was a lot of information but not much factual stuff to say how or why or whether it actually does have an impact on insulin levels.

The studies always talked about studies of people's past histories of coffee drinking, ie: one study was of 1040 men over 44 years and there must be an amazing number of other variables involved there. Did they have sugar, milk, etc in coffee and what about all the other foods, exercise etc over that time - not definitive enough for me I'm afraid.

In this study the results showed that before 1975 there was a geater liklihood of developing heart disease among the coffee drinkers, but after that there seemed to be no greater risk than non-coffee drinkers. On this one they speculated that drip filter coffee makers came in around then and made caused the difference. I don't know about you, but it all seems a bit "airy fairy" to me.

One thing though, instant coffee doesn't have cafestol, and decaf instant coffee doesn't have cafestol or caffeine, so we should be reasonably safe - except for those carbs you mentioned! Didn't know that, so will start counting them!

As you suggested, I will just cut coffee for a week or two and see if it makes a difference. Like you, too much makes me jittery - hence the move to decaf.

Anyway, it looks as though it is fairly safe to have the occasional cappucino or espresso and stick to a reduced amount of decaf instant the rest of the time.

Bye now

Gemma
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 21:30

BF:
Thumbs up Wow, lot's of info - Gemma

Wow Gemma, you did some serious homework on this!

Yup, I agree, too many differences with the information gathering from the test subjects to conferm anything solid.

I just have a cup or 2 for a change of pace and a taste of something different.

You found some good info. Great job!

Cheers, John
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Feb-01-02, 08:35

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi all,

Just two items of input from me.

The first is that I have been drinking instant ordinary coffee (i.e. non-decaffeinated) constantly during the past 20 months while I have been on this WOE, and sometimes have 6 or 7 cups a day. I haven't noticed that it makes any noticeable difference.

The second point follows from the first, and reinforces Gemma's conclusion: there are far too many variables for a study going back 44 years to be meaningful. In addition, there are no objective measurements that can be made - it is all subjective, anecdotal and perceived. Furthermore, there are questions of interpretation. One person's ability to detect and note a difference may be different from another's. What is the "norm" for one person may be regarded as aberrant for another. Even mass perceptions of a norm can change in 44 years. I think Gemma is absolutely right to consider the study insufficiently defined.

But the issue is interesting, and although I find the case "Not Proven" on current evidence, it has, for me, raised a question mark. I will be interested to see any more evidence on this.

Andy
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 09:53

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default coffee

Dear friends, thanks so much for the help. I guess it is like most other things, moderation is the key.