Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/265/160
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Finding the right carb balance?

I'm posting not for myself (I still have a ways to go) but for my fiance, who is in maintenance. He looks and feels great but as he's added more carbs to his diet (mostly in the form of increased veggies), he's found that he experiences stomach cramping and gas in a way that he hasn't since before he went LC.
I suggested to him that he should consider going back to the way he was eating during OWL and add some fruit to his diet every other day. He's willing to try that but I'm interested in hearing if anyone else has experienced stomach problems from returning to a more "balanced" diet and how you've coped with it. If he goes back to OWL-eating with me, he'll go from looking "fit" to looking "skinny" and we don't want that. Any helps, suggestions, or advice would be much appreciated!
Have a great day!
Michelle
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 20:29

Plan: My own
Stats: -/-/- Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Hi there - sorry to not have replied sooner. I do have a few thoughts...If he is on maintenance, carbs can also come in the form of whole grains - i.e. oatmeal, brown rice, etc. in small quantities at each meal. I think the fruit idea is good as well as starchy veggies (winter squash, sweet potato, etc) You may consider getting the Schwarzbein Principle...if he is a fairly inactive person, he could eat 60 g carb (in the form of fruit, starchy veggies per day and will stop losing weight when his body has reached an ideal composition. The more active he is, the more carbs his body can tolerate.

Hope this helps...

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 10:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 314/265/160
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Thanks

Thank you, that does help. He's a full-time student right now and his only form of exercise is walking around campus or walking at the store with me so he'll have to be careful with his carbs. Starchy veggies would be another alternative but I doubt I can talk him into grains--when he stopped eating grains, all of his stomach ailments magically disappeared. We can't even walk through the bread aisle without him feeling nauseous now because he's so turned off by even the smell of grains. He says that he smells that and associates it with feeling sick. So fruits and starchy veggies it is then!
Thanks for the tips!
Michelle