Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-12, 08:23
Registered Member

Plan: low carb.
Stats: 191.5/155/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default Help for a gym newbie!

Hi everyone!
I’ve recently joined a gym I’ve never worked out steadily before and I’m really enjoying it but so far I’ve only really been using the elliptical and the tredmill for about 40 mins 3-4 times a week. I really want to start using other machines and have done a run though with one of the people that work at the gym so I know how to use them but I don’t know what ones I should use or how often. I was going to get a trainer but then life happened and the money I had set aside for one is gone.

Is there a gym routine for dummies website anywhere out there? Or a beginner workout plan? I’ve been trying to look online but I only have access to the internet at work and they block most sites

I don’t really need to lose a lot of weight I just want to tone especially around my tummy but and thighs

I’m 5’11 and 155 pounds (although a few months ago I was at 146)

Last edited by Aldrina : Thu, Jan-26-12 at 08:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-12, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/180/130 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Are you talking about lifting weights? because I think you are.

I'm guessing you're trying to build muscle. So most folks recommend the big lifts for new lifters like dead lifts, squats, pull downs, and bench pressing. The problem with these lifts is that dead lifts and squats could really mess you up if you don't do them right. However, squats and dead lifts work some of the biggest muscles in your body (glutes, quads, hamstrings, lats) so they are really an awesome way to build muscle quickly, but care must be taken so you don't hurt yourself.

As far as upper body goes do some rows and pull downs to work your upper back (because pullups are probably too difficult right now) and maybe some pushing stuff like push ups for your chest you probably don't have any business bench pressing until you can knock out a 10-20 push ups from your feet.

Since you're new don't work on the little muscles too much. It just wears you out and you don't get much accomplished. Plus the little muscles will get a little use when you're working the big muscle and you can always focus on the smaller muscles in a few months once you've gotten comfortable doing some of the other stuff.