Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 18:56
Former Couch Potato

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Kudos on the ride, CBG! You're doing great!

I haven't been on any good, long rides for about 3 weeks now. Am hoping to go out this weekend.

I've been good about my weekday rides in the city though, but it's just not the same! I envy you.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 19:40

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 272/261/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi Kaillean! Thanks for the encouragement. Sorry it's taken me over a week to respond. I hope you've been able to get out for a ride or two in the meantime?

The Tour de France begins this Saturday!!!

Does anyone have any plans for watching the start this weekend? I'm trying to couple it with my 4th of July plans. I just know my friends will roll their eyes when I put it on though. Ah well, they just don't understand...

Any good riding stories from anyone else??? I know Gypsy and nowonder did an organized ride this past weekend. Congrats to them! Let's not let this thread die...
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 20:59
Circling...

Stats: 230/222/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 10%

What did you say, Carbs??? I couldn't hear you.
  #79   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 20:41

BF:

Very funny, Gypsy.

Picture from 7/5/04 - Graham Watson, photographer

So, has anyone been watching the Tour??? Poor Sen - Mario's been having some issues - we'll have to see if he can pull it together. Lance looks good - playing it safe, as he probably should. There were also some wicked crashes today - ouch!

Aside from the entartainment value of watching, it's inspiring to me to see these guys cranking away at 30+ MPH over 100+ miles - wow! I know I'll never be anywhere near that level, but I can pretend, right?

Now, if OLN would just can the idiotic "Cutters" during their "Roadside Tour" show, all would be right with the world...
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 05:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 207/188/165
BF:
Progress: 45%

Super Mario was top ten on day 3. He will contest a sprint or two this week.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 20:58
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi guys,

Finally got in a good ride, out of the city. DH and I headed up to the boonies (Lytton) this weekend to see the inlaws.

Sunday, we had them drive us part way up Botanie Valley and then we rode on from there. The total ride was 33.5 km, 10 km of which was brutal uphill. We climbed about 1000 metres, I'd estimate. Downhill was scary fun.

For those who know the area, we traveled from Botanie Valley (at Laluwissin) over the Murray Creek pass to Spences Bridge.

Here's a couple of pictures:

#82   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 23:04

BF:

Looks like parts of Colorado! Very nice shots. Great to hear you got a good ride in - it's fun when you can just go and not care about time constraints...
  #83   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 07:06

BF:

Wow, this thread is in need of life support! Where's Gypsy? (Oh yeah, she's Canucking it up in Canada!)

So, where have all the low-carb cyclists gone?

I continue to ride about every other day - either road or mountain - and am still passionate about it. I've got a bunch of new cycling-related pictures I'll work on posting here in the next few days. In the meantime, if you want to hear about my running of the "Muddy Buddy" last month, check out my journal...
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 15:36

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 232/162/162 Male 69 inches
BF:30%/13%/11%
Progress: 100%

CarbsBeGon,

I was down, but not out! I was going down the ridge really fast behind my friend when he turned off the trail and went out-of-bounds on a trail that he knew. I, foolishly, followed him. At 30 MPH, I hit the first berm, my weight shifted forward and then I hit the second berm and was catapulted over the handle bars (DUMB!). All the impact was absorbed by my left shoulder (AC Joint) and the collerbone let loose of the shoulder-bone (seperated shoulder gr 3).

It's been 3 1/2 weeks, but I get back on the bike this weekend for the Surf City Century in Santa Cruz, CA. If all goes well with that, I'll be back on my new Kona mountain bike shortly after that. In the down time, I formed a team to ride '24 Hours of Adrenalin" next year in Monterey, CA.

I'm doing the Muddy Buddy on the 24th of Oct, 04, so I would love to hear about your experience!! I'll check your journal.

J.
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Sep-16-04, 15:58

BF:

Ouch! That crash doesn't sound like fun. I had one of my own - though not nearly as serious - a few weeks ago. It was really embarrassing too. Out for a ride with some friends newer to cycling, I thought I'd impress them with my mountain biking "skills." Anyway, there was a very uneven portion of bike path/sidewalk along a busy street that I decided to bunnyhop over. That part went fine (and I'm sure they were oohing and aahing it behind me) when my front tire found a seam just big enough to accomodate it between the two concrete slabs a few feet further down. As you might guess, my front tire rapidly lost speed and - before I could pull it out of the seam - stopped. Over the handlebars I went headed directly for a guard rail (in slow motion, of course). I thought my face was going to smack it hard and be cut open by the sharp aluminum. Somehow I managed to turn at the last millisecond, taking most of the impact forces on my chin and right shoulder. My right foot still clipped in, my friend rushed over and asked if I was ok. "Give me a minute and I'll tell you" was my response and I flailed like a turtle on its back - the handlebar pinning my thigh between it and the top tube.

Anyway, it all turned out okay. A few minutes, several raspberries later, I was back on the bike headed for our intended destination - breakfast! LOL. Other than a lot of soreness over the next few days, I'm none the worse for wear.

loCarbJ - the Muddy Buddy is so much fun - you'll love it! The one here in Colorado had the best mix of people. Some people who kicked butt, some who weren't quite as good and some - like me - who were there just to finish. As I mentioned in my journal, I was pretty pleased with my time as I was expecting far worse and running's really not my thing. I'm looking forward to doing it again next year and - instead of being in the bottom 1/4, my goal is to be in the top 1/2 or better.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures, stories here! If you have any questions about it, I'll be happy to answer them here or you can PM me...
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 10:46

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I was wondering where the low-carb cyclists went? This was my first full summer of cycling. Did some mountain biking (down Killington mountain even - wow that was hard) and lots of road biking.

I guess my biggest achievements were going from below a 10 MPH average and now doing around 13 MPH. I did a fun ride called the "Donut Derby" last Monday - at 35 miles it was the longest ride I've ever done, but it went easily and on those easy rolling hills I averaged 15 MPH.

Would like to try a 1/2 century before the year is out. I'm gathering some second-hand winter cycling garb to see if I can ride outside this winter as much as possible.

Good to see you low-carb cyclists again!
  #87   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 11:35

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

I forgot about this thread! I've been cycling whenever I can, but it looks like this weekend I'll be biking in the remnants of Ivan.

Anyway, since I posted it everywhere else, here is a pick from a few weekends back, at the halfway point of my longest ride of the summer (42 miles)

For the full saga of the ride, check my gym log.

--nw
  #88   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 13:41

BF:

Wow - congrats to everyone on their amazing cycling progress - it's so great to hear!

Here's a picture of me from an easy 13-mile mountain ride yesterday:

Karenemt - do you have any pictures from your Killington trip? I'd love to see them. Since I've been doing both mountain and road biking this summer, I have to say that mountain biking certainly does require extra effort (depending on the trail). I enjoy both so much though - it's tough to pick a favorite.

nowonder - congrats on the 42-miler - that's awesome! Looks like you got yourself a jersey too (almost looks like an upside-down Atkins logo from far away ). Long rides are great, especially if you have someone to ride with. My longest this summer is still 50-miles, but I plan to attempt a century next year. Then, of course, there's the planned ride from Seattle to San Francisco. Don't know if that's still going to happen, though, as I haven't heard from Sen for months!

Anyway, let's all keep this thread alive! Keep pedalling everyone...
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 21:02

Stats: 195/148/150 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I tried to attach a file of my son & I at the top of Killington peak (here goes nothing - hopefully it works).

I think I was the only doofus up there with a no suspension bike - but it was fun just the same!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8100005 (WinCE).JPG (16.4 KB, 14 views)
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Sep-17-04, 22:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/180/134 Female 5'4
BF:Size 12
Progress: 22%

I figure you all would know this better than anyone. I go to a gym where there are bikes. I was told doing the bike thing makes your legs bigger that I should stay away from it since I want to slim them down. Any truth to it?