Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 17:17
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%
Default BFL Weekend check-in 10/03/03

Hi Everyone,

How was your Body For Life week? Any high points, any low points? Anything at all you would like to share?

I had a good week. I hit 55 lbs. on the skull crushers today. I was pretty happy with that. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do it, but I did. Next week I'm going to raise a few more weights and see if I can surprise myself with other exercises.

Tomorrow my HIIT routine goes up to 8 minutes. I hope I make it. Did I mention that I think cardio is evil....

I had a problem this week with pigging out on pork rinds and beef jerky again. I wonder if raising my carb intake is what has been making me so hungry. Maybe I'll lower it a bit and see if the night time hunger pangs go away. Other than that though I've been eating well six times a day.

I went to my second yoga class last night. It was the day after my LBWO and man did that stretching hurt, especially the hamstrings. But you know what, I'm starting to like the pain. Is that sick or what?

Arnie
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 19:47
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I am depressed and near giving in. Mostly ebcause of lack of time. I am also up a pound today (I think water weight though) which puts me back at what I started at 4 weeks ago. I still look 6 months pregnant with this stomach.

I did bad this week. On Wensday I did my workout, upperbody, but kind of slacked off really bad when it came to biceps. Thanks to my wonderful car I ended up having to jog/speed walk to my son's school while pushing the stroller. It was around 25 blocks. We strolled back halfway then caught the bus.

The last two days I missed my workout because of a sick baby. I rationalized yesterday with the fact I did the extra walk on Wends. It wasn't anywhere near what I would do in the gym, but I broke a sweat. Today I just didn't have an hour free when I didn't have a child or children with me.

I don't know how I am going to keep this up. I have started a new job, while it's only a minimum of 12 hours a week, you have to do it in blocks of time that are at elast 3 hours. I am having a problem finding three hours I have in a row. I also plan to start donating plasma, which is only 4 hours a week though.

The problem is that even though BFL only takes an hour at most, I am having a really hard time finding an hour when I don't have to be in class, at work, or have the kids with me. I also have to start doing better at getting my homework done in time and get better attendance in class.

I'm going to try waking up earlier and fitting it in then. The only problem is I know lack of sleep can also interfer with weight loss, general health and academic performance. Not to mention makes for a short tempered mommy. Gym time is about the only me time I get though, and I don't want to have to give it up.

On a better note though I got my L-creatine and new ECA stack in The creatine is liquid, but cheap. The ECA is Kaizen Herbal Genesis. Unlike the EAS product I was taking it actually has the recomended amounts of ephedera and caffine. Lets hope the energy boost will help me get through next week.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 11:50
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

I was a semi bad girl again today. Had the kids os I couldn't get to gym. Instead I did 25 min pilates. I know it's not cardio, but it was better then ot oding anything today.

What I am thinking of doing, at least until winter hits, is maybe finding a bike trail. That way I can run with the stroller (has to be smooth, I don't have a jogging stroller) and the 4yr old can ride his bike to keep up.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 08:38
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Arnie, what do you mean by increasing HIIT up to 8 minutes? Glad you are liking the yoga class. Although I consistently stretch, I should maybe pull out one of my yoga tapes on my free days.

Ladybelle, do the best you can.

Ok, my turn...

This is the end of my first month and I haven't missed a day yet. I really need my free day today. I had a small amount of pain in my elbow and shoulder joints after my last UBW. I think I pushed myself too hard. It's time to change my program around so this should allow my joints to heal while I adjust to a new program. I may try to concentrate more on my post insulin spike as well to help control cortisol levels. I've only been using the dextrose when I've felt I needed it.

Foodwise, things are really good. I'm only eating 5 meals a day still, but I'm not hungry at all. This is probably the best way of eating I have found for myself yet. I'm basically eating to fuel my body, not necessarily to enjoy. My menus have become much more simple and easier to manage. On top of that, my body feels well fueled. What more can I ask for? As a binger, I've had no cravings and no bouts of overeating. Things have been surprisingly well controlled.

Free days have become kind of fun because I use them as tests for myself to learn moderation and I mostly set a different goal each week. Moderation is my issue. Last free day I didn't have a treat, but I bought Halloween candies. The test is to see if I can keep junk food nearby without eating it, something I've never been able to handle. NEVER! But it's been in my car for a week and there's been no pull. Not sure what free day today will be. I haven't decided yet.

I measured today. I must admit I'm frustrated with my method of measurement that I chose. It seems that in the hip and abdomen measurements, I can get 4 different measurements if I measure 4 different times. My body fat scale is inaccurate too so I'm left not really knowing my progress in numbers. Not great for a data junkie. From my best guess, it appears that I've lost 2 lbs of fat and gained 1 lb of muscle, decreasing body fat by 1.5% since I started C1. More important, I've noticed a substantial difference in the way I look and how my clothes feel.

I added forearm exercises to my UBW and TVA exercises to my cardio days. I'm progressing really fast in the strength department. I'm at the same level after 4 weeks as I was when I stopped consistently lifting 8 years ago (I'd been lifting for about 9 years when I stopped). I'm really loving the definition I am starting to see again.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Oct-05-03 at 08:44.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 10:30

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

Actually starting monday... Got the Body For Life 1999 ed. yesterday and I'm finishing the book today...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 19:26
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcollier
Arnie, what do you mean by increasing HIIT up to 8 minutes? Glad you are liking the yoga class. Although I consistently stretch, I should maybe pull out one of my yoga tapes on my free days.
Wanda

Hi Wanda, For C2 I'm doing the Hiit routine outlined on the Muscle Media website. For this you jog for 30 seconds, then sprint for 30 seconds. You do this four times. Every second day of doing this you add one minute up to 15 minutes.

Here is a much better explanaition:
http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit.asp

Quote:
Ladybelle, do the best you can.
Wanda

Ladybelle, I can't believe your daily schedule, working out, school, work, homework, all on top of raising two small kids. I can understand your frustration. No one would be able to do all this and excell at every single one of those things.

But what Wanda said in a sentance kind of sums it up. Do the best you can. If you have to miss a day here or there, well so be it. I know that I was very happy to not miss a day all the way through C1, but I don't have any where near as much on my plate as you have on yours. I don't have kids, and am not going to school at this time. If I added those two things into my life I'm pretty sure I'd not make it all the way through a challenge without missing some days. Just do the best you can without knocking yourself out in the process.

Quote:
Foodwise, things are really good.
Wanda

Wanda, Congrats on the nutrition side of things. It sounds like you are doing really well. I was feeling the same way about this about a month ago. I need to get back there.

I have the same problem with measurements. The last measurements I took where at the end of C1 and so it's been a month since then. We don't even have a scale at home and I've not run out to buy one. I'm sure we'll buy a new one, but I'm in no hurry.

It's good to hear you are doing so well.

Arnie
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 19:29
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korry1977
Actually starting monday... Got the Body For Life 1999 ed. yesterday and I'm finishing the book today...

Hi Korry,

Good stuff! Keep us informed how yyou're doing. What exercises will you be doing?

Arnie
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-05-03, 20:14

Stats: 200/162.5/140 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:no clue
Progress: 63%

I had a super great week, didn't miss a workout and ate very healthy and Saturday went well too. Then came...... free day, I did what I swore I wasn't going to do, I really had a FREE day. About 3:00 in the afternoon I was tired and decided to load up on carbs. I hope I didn't undo all the hard wok this week.

Piano
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:59
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnie_g
Hi Wanda, For C2 I'm doing the Hiit routine outlined on the Muscle Media website. For this you jog for 30 seconds, then sprint for 30 seconds. You do this four times. Every second day of doing this you add one minute up to 15 minutes.
Ah, I knew you were up to something. Wow, I'm tired after reading that article. LOL, I'd be the person the groundskeeper buries on the spot after I collapsed.

Were you a jogger before doing this? How do you... like it (for lack of a better word ) compared to Bill's HIIT cardio?

Wanda
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:10
Contributing Member

Quote:
Ah, I knew you were up to something. Wow, I'm tired after reading that article. LOL, I'd be the person the groundskeeper buries on the spot after I collapsed.

Were you a jogger before doing this? How do you... like it (for lack of a better word ) compared to Bill's HIIT cardio?

Wanda

Oh my goodness, no, I've never been a jogger. I've always hated any kind of cardio stuff. I think Bill's HIIT routine as it is in the BFL book is great. Because it makes it possible for anyone to start at the intensities that they can do.

But, because last challenge I didn't changed any part of my workout routine all the way through, and I identified that as a problem, I decided to change up everything starting C2, including cardio. When I hit minute 6 on this HIIT routine I felt like you described above. I thought I'd never get past 6 minutes. But I did and I had a very strange experience on minute 8 on Saturday. Although my legs were in pain and I was breathing as hard as I ever have, I had this very strange sensation that I could keep going. I've never had that feeling running before.

As for comparing the two. The one I'm doing now from the website is harder. I think Bill's is better to start with and I may go back to it next challenge, just to again change things up.

Arnie
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 09:15
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piano
I had a super great week, didn't miss a workout and ate very healthy and Saturday went well too. Then came...... free day, I did what I swore I wasn't going to do, I really had a FREE day. About 3:00 in the afternoon I was tired and decided to load up on carbs. I hope I didn't undo all the hard wok this week.

Piano

Hi piano,

Congrats on the great week. I don't think the one day of being overly free will undo all your great work through the week. I'm feeling kind of the same way, because I had a bad nutrition week last week. But I'm just putting it behind me and starting this week right and on we go.

Arnie
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 12:21

Plan: ??
Stats: 135/???/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi everyone,

I actually made it into the gym 6 days last week! I don't remember the last time that happened, if ever. I enjoyed all my workouts and I find myself looking forward to them now! 18 days has gone fast.

My only slip up this week was to have a cheat lunch on Saturday and a cheat dinner on Sunday instead of 1 cheat day...but I don't suppose this is all that big a deal?

This week I will miss 3 days instead of just 1 b/c I'm going on vacation...but I will have worked out 9 days in a row by then and will still get in 4 days this week so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad?

--Cindy
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 17:26
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Quote:
I really had a FREE day. About 3:00 in the afternoon I was tired and decided to load up on carbs. I hope I didn't undo all the hard wok this week.

They have threads on some body biulding subjects that talk about having occasional extra calories in order to rev up the system. It actuly has more to do with the hormones released, but I don't remember it all atm. Maybe having a cheat day is part of the prgram in a good way. I wouldn't overdo it though, junk is still junk. If you had alot of fruit or other healthy foods I wouldn't sweat it though.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 18:08

Plan: Keto
Stats: 270/265/170 Male 68 inches
BF:43%/35%/10%
Progress: 5%

For now, 20 MAS, walk/jog/run... for the WOs right now I just have some dumbells to work with, but I am planning to get some more weights... after I take my licencing exam... (you know priorities.. )

Thanks for the support,
Korry
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 20:03

Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Hi y'all, last week was pretty good for me as far as the workouts go, but I'm still slipping on the meals. I figure that if I can only manage total diligence on one of the two, it should be the exercise. I'm up to 20 lb dumbbells now for my heaviest set on chest, back, and all the LB exercises. Which may sound puny to y'all, but is a big step up for me.

A friend of mine who's really buff says that he's starting to notice a difference in me, especially my arms. I think he's just being nice to encourage me, but it's still nice to hear!

Wanda, nice photo! You look terrific! Your face and neck look so slender.

Arnie, I always feel like quitting halfway through cardio, but by the end I feel like I could go another 20 minutes. Kinda weird!

Korry, I use dumbbells at home too. At some point I'd like to try a professional gym, but working out at home takes less time and less money.

Ladybelle, it's amazing how much you're able to do with all the responsibilities on your plate. You're inspiring! I feel bad about complaining because my job has gotten busy! I think you should just do what you're able to do, and not beat yourself up about whatever you can't.