Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 16:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 131/122.5/120 Female 5'5 1/2
BF:
Progress:
Default Night Eating

I have a big problem with this, it realliy sucks. I really want to stop it but my refrigerator is like a magnet when I wake up at night. I for the most part eat low carb foods but I always have to have about a half cup of lc ice cream. The worst thing to eat at night. I consume about 400 calories a night. Other things like chicken or lc bread etc. also. I really want to stop but does anyone else have this problem
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 16:22
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 123/122.5/110 Female 5 something
BF:
Progress: 4%

eat eggs instead or drink a lot of water
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 16:23

Plan: LC BFL
Stats: 279/155/135 Female 5'5
BF:39/24/<20
Progress: 86%

yup. its called binging. i dont eat just 1 thing. i'll eat some pepperoni, string cheese, nuts, etc. i generally consume more calories & carbs at night versus the whole day. i've tried everything to break the habit... its been 5 months & i still cant. i dunno what im going to do with myself.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 16:28

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

yep, this is one of my big eating problems. it's been getting better lately though. we're eating dinner later in the evening, and are trying to do different activities like getting out of the house more, watching fewer movies, stuff like that. i picked up knitting. it's really hard to eat when you've got yarn in your hands...you dont want to get the yarn dirty.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 18:35

Stats: 159/142/120 Female 5'5"
BF:?%/27%/cur20%18%
Progress: 44%

Confused,

Are you eating enough during the day. Back in the low fat days, I would often hoard me calories to night because that was when I wanted to eat and had the hardest time resisting (like a moth to a flame with the fridge) At times I don't even think I was awake and I would be in the kitchen. But the problem of not getting adequate calories during the day is you rather set the stage for this pattern of eating, similar to is you go too long without eating it is harder to control yourself. Would having a small snack before bed help or hinder you? I usually have 1-2 oz cheese when I am hungry before bed and that seems to help. Too, the longer you are on this WOE the easier it becomes as the carb cravings decrease.

Ihope that helps.

Kristen
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 18:55

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I know this may be easier said than done, but for me, I just go "cold turkey". I got so sick of always wanting to eat a little before bedtime (because I truly think that late night eating inhibits weight loss because it messes around with hormones) that I forced myself to quit it. I was pretty stubborn hehe. Doesn't matter how hungry I was -- I'M NOT GOING TO EAT!!! It was hard the first few nights. Then gradually I got used to it. Now I can go to sleep on an empty stomach no problem. So for me practice works.

Best of luck! I hope you conquer the night time munchies.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 19:09
Registered Member

Stats: 260/243.5/150 Female 5ft 6in
BF:too much!
Progress: 15%

I understand where you're coming from. A major factor in my weight gain was binging at night. I would hoard boxes of food under my bed and eat them while I was half-conscious.

At the time I was on a sleeping medication that seemed to trigger these cravings, and I'd wake up in the morning with no memory of binging, but find the wrappers etc. beside me in the morning It was a terrible way to live.

I finally got upset enough at myself to try and stop. I cleaned out everything in my room and tried to cut back on the medication. Whenever I felt like I had to eat I would just tell myself no. It took a long time but now I don't binge like that at night anymore.

Occasionally I still take the sleeping meds, and they make me feel like I'm hungry, but I just tell my stomach to ignore the feeling, I only had dinner a few hours ago... and try to fall asleep. And it works.

The best thing I can tell you is to not give up. Try scaling back if it's really that hard, or try the cold turkey method. Either way, good luck!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 19:22

I also want to add that for me it was imperative that I quit eating around bedtime because doing it triggers me into bingeing and purging. It happened so often that I finally said ENOUGH already. Now, I actually prefer a slightly hungry feeling going to bed. It is kind of comforting actually. That means my body is forced to dip into its fat stores for energy.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 19:29

Stats: 131/122.5/120 Female 5'5 1/2
BF:
Progress:

Serrelind, I am sleeping and waking up at night and doing these binges. I think a little different than what your thinking of. I just wanted to clear that up. I really would like to hear from someone on what to do about it and how to stop. It is ruining my life, I lose control completely. Help!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 19:32

Ahhh gotcha. I 've done that a few times, and most of the time it would trigger b/p as well. I hope you find the answer to this!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 21:03
Registered Member

Stats: 196/171/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Ok, this thread caught my eye because of course I want to eat at night or in the middle of the night sometimes. But last night something really funny happend. I was half asleep almost there actually, and I had this quick dream in my head. All I saw was a spoonful of some kind of food or snack, and it was coming towards my mouth. Well I was still a tiny bit awake and as the spoon came near my mouth, I opened my mouth(in reality) at the same time. I couldn't help but laugh but I just wonder if it is some kinda psychological thing. Maybe a craving that is being dealt with in dreams. My mind is finding another outlet. I hope so, I don't mind eating dream food! As long as I don't start sleepwalking to the fridge and finding real food to eat while I sleep. Anyway just thought it was a strange experience anyone else have this kinda thing happen?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 08:32
Registered Member

Stats: 237/196/199 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 108%

I have had similar dreams, in which I dream about eating the High Carb food that I havent had for the last 4 months. Funny thing is that I have no problem avoiding them during the day, but I will quite often dream about eating them at night. Maybe my subconcious cheats satisfy the brains urge to have them. Kinda funny though.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 10:47

Stats: 350/205/180 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 85%

In a case like this you have to beat yourself into a 3 meal a day plan and stick to it for a while.

It's a matter of re-training natural habbits. Snacking is horrible in the sense that it's just so darn easy to put down a large amount of calories!!

Making each meal extremely enjoyable helps out quite a bit for me. The fact that any type of snacking makes me feel like crap at night makes me less inclined to do it as well. The body is extremely efficient with calories unfortuneately :^(.

Much luck to you, just keep trying to say no!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS DIET
Stats: 123/122.5/110 Female 5 something
BF:
Progress: 4%

After eating late last night.. i decided to purge and i did... i just can't take sleeping when i know that i have food inside my stomach..
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-02-04, 13:06

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default A few thoughts

1. How is it ruining your life? Can see how it might ruin your teeth, but otherwise? You appear to be close enough to goal... I don't want to downplay your trouble, but I'm not sure where to direct a solution--depends on how you see the problem.

Could well be that you are hungry for something; might not be food itself but that food is the only thing available to you. If you can identify what it is you need and start taking steps to get that -- whatever,-- maybe the night eating will go away.

2. What's your caffeine, water, alcohol, other drug intake like? what is waking you up? If it applies, cut out all caffeine after NOON, and watch your water after sometime that you'll have to figure out for yourself. Something's waking you up. Maybe earplugs would help, if that something is the 3 AM Amtrak outside your window.

3. I started taking Silymarin, a liver supplement, a month ago, and now sleep much more deeply. Not sure why, but it has made a major difference! Might try that, or melatonin, or one of the other sleep-enhancing herbs.