Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Atkins diet weighs in"

Atkins diet weighs in

Keep the burger, lose the bun

Rachel Landen, Senior Writer, January 20, 2004

link to article

The Atkins Diet is something of a weight-loss phenomenon, prompting nearly 32 million Americans to trade in their old dietary habits for new ones.

Dr. Atkins published his original diet plan, emphasizing natural foods, over 20 years ago. Yet America is just beginning to notice, and more importantly, take action against obesity.

Nearly one-third of American adults, about 60 million, are classified as obese. Another 127 million are overweight, including approximately half of all men and women aged 20-34.

Atkins proposed to solve this problem through a four-step program in which dieters cut back severely on carbohydrates and then gradually reintroduce certain carbs back into their diets.

The premise is that the bodies of most overeaters have an excess supply of insulin, the hormone that helps convert carbohydrates to fat. When the low-carbohydrate guidelines of the Atkins Diet are followed, the body produces less insulin, and therefore, stores less fat.

Although the first two weeks, known as the Induction phase, permit only about 20 grams of carbohydrates a day from salad and vegetables, there is no limit on the number of high-fat foods that one can have.

However, the high-fat consumption associated with Atkins does not seem to thwart weight loss. In fact, most people lose between 10 and 30 pounds during the first month of the diet. Yet, not all health professionals are convinced.

"Although it may help people lose weight in the short term, over the long term people may regain what they lost," said Karen Warren, director of ECU Wellness Education and a registered dietician.

"And it is difficult to get all the nutrients that you need because so many foods are prohibited."

Whole grain foods, fruits and vegetables are associated with a decreased risk of cancer and heart disease, while large amounts of saturated fat are correlated with a greater risk of health problems. Yet on the Atkins Diet, adequate amounts of grains, fruits and vegetables are not allowed because of their high carbohydrate value.

"I am following a modified version of the Atkins Diet, mainly by cutting out desserts and eating more vegetables," said sophomore organ performance major Filippa Duke.

"I don't feel deprived because if I want to use my allotted carbs for fruit or sweets, then I do. I just have to budget for them and keep track of my carbs rather than counting calories."

Of course, it is important to understand that not all carbohydrates are equal. The concept of cutting out simple carbohydrates and processed sugars like baked goods is a sound one. But including complex carbohydrates, like cereal, rice and fruit, provides the body with essential energy, nutrients and fiber.

In fact, the Japanese diet, consisting primarily of carbohydrates and very little animal protein, is essentially the antithesis of the Atkins. Accordingly, Japan has one of the healthiest populations in the world, with low rates of obesity, heart disease, cancer and diabetes.

Still, some people swear by Atkins and the results they have achieved by following the diet.

"I did Atkins over the summer and then I just started back on January 1. I lost 18 pounds and was able to keep it off," said sophomore biology major Mary Catherine Knight.

"Once you do it for a while, it just becomes habit."

And as restaurants introduce new Atkins-friendly menu items, it is becoming easier to follow a low-carb diet even when dining out. Subway began offering a Turkey and Bacon Melt Wrap and a Chicken Bacon Ranch Wrap, both of which boast 11 grams of net carbs or less.

Meanwhile, Hardee's has its own Low Carb Thickburger. Replacing the bun with iceberg lettuce leaves and reducing the amount of ketchup saves 49 grams of carbohydrates per sandwich.

T.G.I. Friday's and Ruby Tuesday are also among the latest restaurants to add Atkins' approved items to their menus.

Yet despite this growing trend of low-carb diets that is making its way from the bookstores to the grocery stores to the restaurants, it seems that old-fashioned common sense regarding nutrition and exercise is the surest bet for good health.

"Look at portion sizes because that is one of the areas where Americans tend to overdo it. Stop eating when you are full and make exercise a part of your routine," Warren said.

"If you look at the big picture, rather than at the short term weight loss, you can make important behavioral changes."

You can lose weight on the Atkins diet, or on another diet without exercising, but it makes the weight loss more effective and healthier. It helps the body to burn more fat, as well as tone muscles. At the heart of any diet or exercise program is the formula that calories burned must exceed those consumed in order to lose weight.

This writer can be contacted at features~theeastcarolinian.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 12:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Don't the japanese eat a lot of fish? Like, for just about every meal including breakfast? I'd hardly call that low-protein.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 23:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

The Japanese have a very high rate of Strokes. It is believed that since heart-attacks are considered "undignified", most heart attacks are reported as strokes.

danny
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:20
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

They are finding that Japanese history of good health is becoming unraveled with the Americanization of the Japanese diet. They are seeing more cases of heart disease, high blood pressure and worse an appearance of pre-diabetic symptoms and obesity among the younger generation. While heart attacks and high blood pressure may be attributed to the stress of the Japanese personality and work life, the appearance of rarely seen obesity and diabetes can only be attributed to the rise of the American diet and the prevelance of and access to fast food with its empty calories and high carb content.