Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Food Combining
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 20:53

Plan: Somersizing
Stats: 150/146.5/125
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Suzanne Somers

Ya know, it's occured to me that Suzanne Somers actually isn't that thin. My parents saw her at a show about 2 years ago and said she was actually fat. So, how can a lot of us expect to really eat ALL YOU WANT and get down to a 120pound body? a calorie is still a calorie. I mean, I know the calorie thing works, I've done the counting calories and yes it is the sure fire way to lose weight. I went from 173 - 123 in 6months. so i know that works.. of course, I gained back some, I'm up to 146, but, I wanna know, is this really really gonna work?????? I mean, maybe I'll lose some and get down to 140, but I wanna truly be at 117, but, right now i'm setting my goal at 125, cuz i would be happy with that. But, suzzane really isn't very skinny! She currently weighs 160 pounds... while on 3's company she weighed 115.... How can I follow someone's diet who isn't even thin?

Last edited by Spaze27 : Wed, Jun-11-03 at 21:09.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 00:24
Registered Member

Stats: 195/153/125 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 60%

Yes, Somersizing works - see the stats in my profile. I personally don't care if Suzanne is fat or thin, to tell you the truth, what is important to me is that her program works for me. Although, rather than relying on a 2 year old secondhand report, why don't you judge Suzanne's current size for yourself: her next HSN appearance is on Thursday, June 19th, 6-9 pm, plus she will be at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas from June 16-19 for the welcome reception of her "Diva Goddess Event 2003".

Last edited by diamondlil : Thu, Jun-12-03 at 00:27.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 07:54

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%
Default That sucked

I can't believe you would try and judge her and you yourself want to lose. That is why women have such a problem with each other. She stated in her last book her weight and it was not 160. She doesn;t even look 160. When is the last time you saw her with your own two eyes? Geez.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 08:08

Stats: 150/146.5/125
BF:
Progress: 14%

She definitly thinner in her first 2 books. Her third book looks like she put on some weight. She did a show at the Poconos about 2 years ago and she had put on some weight. Now, the question would be, is she following her plan religiously? I honestly don't care if she is. Cuz, of course, you can have a fat medical doctor tell you how to eat right and they themselves might be overweight, it doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about, it means that they don't practice what they preach. As I said, maybe doing this diet I might be able to get down to 140, but maybe the weight loss stops there, then I will be very upset. If the diet really is gonna work, I need to get down to 120-125. Mammabeek is a great example, but even she had mentioned something about how a calorie is a calorie. She is right. And she tries not to MOB things with fat. Very Sensible. The thought of mobbing things with fat doesn't settlle too well with me. Maybe some olive oil with cooking but she has sauces, like the creamy parm, OH MY, pure fat! BTW, I'm not trying to be a "judge," it's called I'm very skeptical.

Last edited by Spaze27 : Thu, Jun-12-03 at 08:10.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-12-03, 08:20

Plan: Restart Atkins 5/15/09
Stats: 155.5/134/125 Female 5' 1 1/2 "
BF:Shhh.....
Progress: 70%
Default oh

ok.Thanks
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 05:36

Plan: Zone
Stats: 180/175/110 Female 5' 0"
BF:Melting
Progress: 7%

You also have to take into account that she has been battling cancer. Plus we don't know what's going on in her life. The famous have it rough too at times.

Last edited by Jadie : Mon, Jun-16-03 at 05:46.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 20:08

Plan: Suzanne Somers'
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Wink LOL!

You hit the nail on the head Spaze. My dad is an MD and is also 100 pounds overweight. Seems he can tell his patients how to eat right and exercise but he can't do it himself.

Have more faith in yourself girl! It sounds to me as if you're getting all set up to blame somebody else for a failure you haven't even had yet! If you read all the info and it sounded reasonable and you like the food then stick to the WOE and see what happens. If you do everything by the book and you stall at 140 for so long you are convinced the WOE has failed you THEN complain. Until that happens, what are you grousing about girlfriend?

You know, the more SS stuff I read on these chats the more I think people hear only the parts of things they want to hear and ignore the rest. Suzanne says you can eat all you want, yes, but she ALSO says that once you adjust to having no limits you will stop wanting to overeat and find yourself satisfied with reasonable portions. She also says that you should keep a good balance in your diets and her example menus don't feature fat, fat and more fat, even if one recipe in each seems over the top to you. She warns about eating carbos late in the day and despite all her wonderful dessert recipes and products, she suggests you eat these treats only a few times a week. (Boy do I fall flat on that one!) So she ISN'T saying eat gobs of fat on everything all the time, (at least not in her books and online, I have never seen her on TV) but people are still getting that message somehow. Maybe because it's what they want to hear?

On top of that people are now complaining that they are having troubles staying in control because of Suzanne's packaged products, especially the sweets. But the irony of that is that her fans DEMANDED she create these products for their convenience and now that she has they complain about it! Poor lady just can't win!

As for her weight, well I've never been diagnosed with a potentially fatal disease, but I am willing to bet I wouldn't handle it well. Then there is the experimental drugs she is taking for her cancer, which might well cause weight gain. And remember that the whole darned planet has seen fit to debate her controvercial choice of therapies and many have told her she has signed her own death warrent by refusing to follow conventional treatment practices. Think you might indulge in a binge or two if you were in her shoes? I KNOW I would!

I know I've quoted the "a calorie is a calorie" thing once or twice, but the more I read the more I'm not even sure that's a fair statement. It's how we METABOLIZE a calorie that is critical. If we don't turn it into fat because our insulin levels stay steady then it's not exactly the same as the calorie we do turn to fat as a result of a sugary carbo binge is it? I've read a little bit about people who are eating really high calorie diets and are still losing weight. Some of them are here on this site as a matter of fact. I'm fascinated by that and am hoping to see some studies done on it that might explain how it works. And of course, if you starve yourself long enough your body freaks out and starts clinging in desparation to every calorie you ingest, so you are likely to plateau or even gain on exactly the same caloric intake that had you losing just last week. It's just so HARD to break through the conditioning we've be subjected to all our lives saying all fat is BAD and everything that tastes good is going to kill you! I can remember my grandfather telling me sadly, "it's the calories that taste good girlie."

Sigh, there is sooooo much we don't really understand yet about human physiology. I guess all we can do is make the best decisions we can based on what we THINK we understand.

The best answer to skepticism is to TRY it and see what happens. Do that, and hey, at least you won't be hungry along the way!

MB

Last edited by Mamabeek : Mon, Jun-16-03 at 20:20.