Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 04:54

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Question Anyone here have Hypothyroidizm..

Cuz I kinda do, Well actually I don't even have a thyroid..And it sux for losing weight!!!! i have like no metabolism whatsoever..ect.

Anyone here have success on this diet being hypo?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 04:58
Pending Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hi there. Yeah I know it sucks! LOL I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroidism) and I am very aggressively medicated. I take 250mcgs thyroxine plus a "booster" of 400mcgs twice a week as well as 10mcgs additional T3. I feel so much better than I did a few months ago, let me tell ya! And yes, I am losing slowly (but LOSING). So, all hope is not lost!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 05:08

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Angry ugh!

Ugh it sucks! I never really had any problems with my thyroid, I just had cancer and they took it out..I didn't even know I had that! lol...So because I don't have one, they consider me Hypo..I'm taking synthroid for it but that's not helping me lose..ugh...Are you taking the natural supplement/pills or something..?

I like being hypo cause I don't really gain weight....But it also sux cause I can't lose for crap, unless its waterweight...Which I gained 11lbs of water weight over the holidays..LoL oops.

How much are you losing a week even though its real slow?

I want to atleast be able to lose 2lbs a week like NORMAL ppl..lol

#4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 05:14
Pending Member

Stats: 314/306.6/299
BF:
Progress: 49%

If I REALLY REALLY stick to my program, I can lose 2lbs a week. I did last week. I am happy with anything in the down direction, though.

I don't take natural supplements - I take a sythetic thyroxine (brand name Oroxine here in australia) - synthroid is similar. see my previous post for my dosages.

It IS possible, especially if you are optimally medicated. If you find you aren't losing and have other hypo symptoms (fatigue, cold, hair loss, etc) then see your doc again and get your meds adjusted.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-02, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 167/154/140
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi, I have just lost 4 pounds on the first week of induction - more than on any other diet I have ever done!

I am on 100mg Thyroxine (same as synth) and prior to this, my weight has either been staying the same or going up despite dieting and a lot of exercise. It is a huge relief to actually see some progress!

I am still not stabilised on meds and am in the process of 'discussion' with my doctor to get tsh levels down lower as I still don't feel really well, but I'm getting there.

Shaz
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 20:01
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/154/130
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default hi slim

i'm hypo too. I just got my synthroid increased from 0.05 to 75 mcgs. I feel a lot better. I was sleeping a lot and just sluggish. But I think that was also because I was eatting all wrong too.
I lost 60 lbs two years ago on adkins, while hypo and it took me 2 months or so. I gained 30 back eatting wrong again. So I think you can lose and as long as you are on the right amt of meds you'll be fine. Kelly
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 23:44

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 244/224/130 Female 5' 3" (should be 6'3")LOL
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I too have a thyroid condition

it really sucks eh!? I have gained 130 pounds. But now with low carbing at least I have stopped gaining. I haven't really lost much but at least I am not gaining anymore.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 21:44

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 309/305/155
BF:
Progress: 3%
Smile I'm hypo too...

I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism, finally. But what stinks is I went to the doctor in 2000 and wasn't feeling right then 90lbs later here I am at 315lbs. But finally I went to the doctor again and they did finally diagnose me with hypo. I finally feel like I'm not crazy. I was exercising doing atkins and nothing since June of 2001 I've been trying to lose and nothing. Finally they put me on the synthyroid .025mg and I'm feeling better, more energy and I've been able to increase my exercise activity. Anyway I'll keep you posted hopefully this will stabilize my metabolism so I can lose weight. Thanks....
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 17:56

Plan: Somersize/Atkins
Stats: 176/168/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Default Kellycolle did you?

Hey,

I FINALLY talked my doctor into upping my synthroid to .75 after years at 0.50 and sluggishness and dry skin and..... Cytomel is staying at 0.25. Do you take cytomel or something similar, too? My TSH level came out at .644 and I'm researching what the high end should be. Lots of info to go through for that! Did you begin to lose after upping to 0.75?

Thanks,

Susan
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:29

BF:

Hey,

I FINALLY talked my doctor into upping my synthroid to .75 after years at 0.50 and sluggishness and dry skin and..... Cytomel is staying at 0.25. Do you take cytomel or something similar, too? My TSH level came out at .644 and I'm researching what the high end should be. Lots of info to go through for that! Did you begin to lose after upping to 0.75?

Thanks,

Susan
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-25-02, 18:43

BF:

Hey,

Thanks,

Susan
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 12:47

Stats: 182/170/140
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Cold Nodule

I was diagnosed with a cold nodule on my thyroid and am on Synthroid 25 mcg daily. I guess I really don't have hypothyroidism, but my dr. is giving me the synthroid in hopes that my nodule will not get any bigger.

Shockingly, the first dr. I went to see about the nodule suggested surgery!! I was 31 at the time and had never been married and had no children. Thank God I got a second opinion--my endo says that that was an outrageous reaction--really could have affected my ability to conceive!

I am starting my new lifestyle tomorrow and am hopeful that the synthroid might assist me, but you never know!

Linda
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 55.1/48.3/25
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Yes, you can!

Can you be hypothyroid and lose weight? YES, you can if you do it properly. Please check out this link:
http://thyroid.about.com/library/weightloss/blmain.htm
I have lost 35 pounds over the last 5 months. In Feb, I switched to checking the percentage of body fat instead of pounds and I have lost .7% body fat in less than a month. You have to eat! And eat lots of protein. You should be eatting about 10x your current weight in calories and 40% - 50% of your ihntake should be protein. You also need to do some weight training. Circuit training is great as is weight lifting. the link I listed has tons of info. I strongly suggest you read up and educate yourself. I learn somehting new every time I go back to it.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 06:57

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Thumbs up On Thyroxine but losing, albeit slowly

Yes it is possible to be hypo and lose on Atkins. It is hard work so a lot of faith and perseverance is called for but it does pay off.

Good Luck - Take care.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 19:38

Stats: 185/141/145 Female 66 "
BF:
Progress: 110%
Default I am on Armour

I have been on armour thyroid for a year now and take adrenal gland supplements.. It has made a wonderful difference in my life excpet for one thing... I can't lose any more weight.. I am 6 pounds lighter from a year ago and thats it... I am currently on sugar busters and 1200-1400 calories a day... I exercise on a stationary bike 6 nights a week... from 5-10 miles each time... and still not losing any more weight... my Doc suggested cutting calories even more to 800 a day... I think that would be a mistake... I am hungry all the time now even on Sugar busters...

I am stuck and don't know what to do... cut calories.. or add calories.. cut more carbs... exercise more... my armour seems to be at the right dose.. I dont have any symptoms...

does anyone have any suggestions?