Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-19, 21:01

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Actually, I've never yet found a true no-carb bar for sale anywhere and would love to know what brand you buy Bob-a-rama. Around here, we can get all kinds of high-protein bars (with way more carbs than I'd ever consume in a single sitting) and lost of supposedly low-carb bars made with so many sugar alcohols they might as well be CANDY the way they set off my sweet-tooth cravings! I have yet to see a bar with less than 20g of carbs and no (or very few) sugar alcohols.

This is my experience. Low carb is relative, so I guess for someone thinking 130 grams of carbs per day is low, these bars work. I'm still on a quest for a stevia sweetened bar that gives me 10 grams of carbs total. Like looking for the golden fleece.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-19, 21:30

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
This is my experience. Low carb is relative, so I guess for someone thinking 130 grams of carbs per day is low, these bars work. I'm still on a quest for a stevia sweetened bar that gives me 10 grams of carbs total. Like looking for the golden fleece.

I don't eat anything processed these days but these are good, maybe you can get them in the US? https://shelbyshh.com/products/pean...lemon-slice-bar
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Aug-17-19, 21:42

BF:

Thanks, Jess. Did a quick search on Amazon and found nothing, but this looks good and one serving is very close to 10 grams. I'll keep looking for a source in the US.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 09:23

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

To each their own. I am not much of a salad person, and I respectfully disagree, nuts are extremely healthy foods.

I'll eat a salad only if I can put red wine vinegar and olive oil on it. Those other dressings just don't make it for me. And for some reason, salads put weight on me (don't know why) so I rarely eat them.

Plus if I do, I want organic ingredients. I've read about the pesticide and herbicide residues on lettuce, celery, and other greens.

The 2019 "Dirty Dozen" list, those that I do eat, I will not eat if not organic.
1 Strawberries
2 Spinach
3 Kale
4 Nectarines
5 Apples
6 Grapes
7 Peaches
8 Cherries
9 Pears
10 Tomatoes
11 Celery
12 Potatoes

Bell peppers are 13, lettuce is 15, cucumbers 16, and so on:
https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/full-list.php

You find lots of salad and fruits in the top 47 pesticide contaminated foods, and there are no nuts on that list.

Not that nuts are pesticide free, but at least they have a shell as a barrier so they are not coated in pesticides and herbicides.

And yes, the no-carb bars are actually extremely low carb bars, and I use them for what I call 'emergency food'. On the road or on an airplane they are easy to pack and carry.

Most of what I eat is prepared at home with wholesome ingredients or as close to wholesome as I can find. A lot of it is eaten as-is with no preparation - I have nuts and imported European cheese (healthier, no rbgh and made with A2 milk) almost every day.

To me it's more than low-carb, although that is a big part of my diet. But by eating an anti-inflammatory and low poison-added diet, plus supplemental vitamins, I am 73 years old with zero prescriptions and I can't even remember the last time I caught a cold - 15 years or more - and I work with senior citizens many who come up to hug and kiss me. I haven't called in sick for work in since the mid 1960s.

But to each their own. What works best for one person is not necessarily best for someone else.

Bob

PS, last year I spent 5 weeks in Australia from Brisbane up to Cape Trib over to Darwin down to Kangaroo Island and back to Sydney - mostly driving. I never ate at a single fast food store, and don't even remember seeing a subway, although I'm sure I would have if I paid attention. The pubs are great places for a quick meal, service is friendly, and the employees actually get paid for their work so there is no tipping.

Woolworth's (grocery store) had great bags of mixed nuts, macadamias, cashews and so on. The coffee in Australia is good. Bega Heritage Cheddar cheese is the best I've ever tasted, and the Australian people are some of the friendliest, courteous, and most civilized people I've ever met, and I've been on 6 of the 7 continents.

Last edited by Bob-a-rama : Sun, Aug-18-19 at 09:30.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 11:44

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dang, I want to take vaca in AU....
or NZ.....
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 12:43

BF:

Quote:
Thanks, Jess. Did a quick search on Amazon and found nothing, but this looks good and one serving is very close to 10 grams. I'll keep looking for a source in the US.

Sorry, a slight hijack. Just to clarify, I'd be interested in a low carb bar that has 10 grams total carbs for the total bar, not per serving. Not net carbs, as many of them claim. Dark chocolate is the preference. I'm not sure this is possible, as even with the ones I've checked at 99% dark (Lindt, Ghirardelli, etc., a couple squares puts me over the threshold. The rest rely on fiber and start at around 20-25 total carbs and rely on fiber to be subtracted. I don't trust net carbs. Until then, if I'm on a long air trip or car trip, I bring a bag of nuts, and that does the trick. Many times, I don't even open it, but it's there if I desire. A few bars with low carb would also do the trick. And no, I don't fear the nuts, at least the plant variety that is . . .
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 13:36
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessAus
This actually really surprises me as Subway is very big here in Aus... (...) Maybe they have closed some stores as they can service a bigger area from one store now with their delivery options? In the town I live in we have 3 stores within a 10km radius (That is a bit much?)
This would be my guess. I live within a 5-minute walk to TWO Subways. Beyond that, there are FOUR more within about 3 km/1.5 miles. How do they stay profitable? There's only one McDonalds in that space, for comparison. IMO, Subway over-expanded in the 90s and now they're probably regressing.

My biggest turn-off from the LC version of Subway is the expense. Yes, it's nice that I can turn any sub into a salad but I can do that way cheaper at a grocery store salad bar. I think I spent $14 the last time I got a salad at Subway. I'd rather go get a bunless burger with extra veggies for half the price.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 14:14

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
or NZ.....

I highly recommend AU.

Rent a camper van and do drive through the cities and the outback. The drivers are courteous, if you need to change lanes, put your blinker on and they will slow down to let you in - every time. They drive in the slow lane except to pass. Even the 'road train' truck drivers will let you know when it's safe to pass them.

Stop to say "Hi" to someone on the street, and don't be surprised if you end up talking for ah hour or more. Friendly folks. The wildlife is like what you will see nowhere else. I didn't find one grouchy person in the entire time I spent on the continent.

Spend at least 5 weeks there, as Oz is about as big as the USA's lower 48. Five weeks gave us a quick tour of half the country. I could probably spend a year there before I ran out of things I dearly want to visit, ah but I don't belong to the leisure class. I guess I chose the wrong parents

But I don't have Cable TV, don't wear jewelry, don't use the AC, don't buy bottled water, don't buy expensive cars, and do have money for travel.

Back on topic.

The meat and cheese are both very good in Oz so it's pretty easy to stay on your plan. The cheese is A2 and my DW found out she isn't sensitive to dairy, only to A1 dairy (which is the most common in the USA). The pubs don't try to force you to drink something sweetened. If you ask for tap water, you get a chilled bottle and a couple of glasses for no extra charge. It's quite common there. And at Woolworth's you can get great bags of nuts that you can use for 'road food'.

Bob
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 17:38

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
I'd rather bring a bag of nuts or a 'no-carb bar' if I need something on the road than stop at a fast frankenfood franchise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

And yes, the no-carb bars are actually extremely low carb bars, and I use them for what I call 'emergency food'. On the road or on an airplane they are easy to pack and carry.

I must be missing something - Is "no carb bar" the name of them? Do you make them yourself, and if you do, can you share the recipe? If you buy them, can you tell us where you find them?
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 17:55

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Sorry, a slight hijack. Just to clarify, I'd be interested in a low carb bar that has 10 grams total carbs for the total bar, not per serving. Not net carbs, as many of them claim. Dark chocolate is the preference. I'm not sure this is possible, as even with the ones I've checked at 99% dark (Lindt, Ghirardelli, etc., a couple squares puts me over the threshold. The rest rely on fiber and start at around 20-25 total carbs and rely on fiber to be subtracted. I don't trust net carbs. Until then, if I'm on a long air trip or car trip, I bring a bag of nuts, and that does the trick. Many times, I don't even open it, but it's there if I desire. A few bars with low carb would also do the trick. And no, I don't fear the nuts, at least the plant variety that is . . .

Do you mean chocolate bars? I used to just eat baker's chocolate when I ate chocolate on low carb.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 19:29

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
My biggest turn-off from the LC version of Subway is the expense. Yes, it's nice that I can turn any sub into a salad but I can do that way cheaper at a grocery store salad bar. I think I spent $14 the last time I got a salad at Subway. I'd rather go get a bunless burger with extra veggies for half the price.

That's interesting - They are about $9 AUD for the salad bowls here ($6 USD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
PS, last year I spent 5 weeks in Australia from Brisbane up to Cape Trib over to Darwin down to Kangaroo Island and back to Sydney - mostly driving. I never ate at a single fast food store, and don't even remember seeing a subway, although I'm sure I would have if I paid attention. The pubs are great places for a quick meal, service is friendly, and the employees actually get paid for their work so there is no tipping.

Woolworth's (grocery store) had great bags of mixed nuts, macadamias, cashews and so on. The coffee in Australia is good. Bega Heritage Cheddar cheese is the best I've ever tasted, and the Australian people are some of the friendliest, courteous, and most civilized people I've ever met, and I've been on 6 of the 7 continents.

Rent a camper van and do drive through the cities and the outback. The drivers are courteous, if you need to change lanes, put your blinker on and they will slow down to let you in - every time. They drive in the slow lane except to pass. Even the 'road train' truck drivers will let you know when it's safe to pass them.

Stop to say "Hi" to someone on the street, and don't be surprised if you end up talking for ah hour or more. Friendly folks. The wildlife is like what you will see nowhere else. I didn't find one grouchy person in the entire time I spent on the continent. ... The meat and cheese are both very good in Oz so it's pretty easy to stay on your plan. The cheese is A2 and my DW found out she isn't sensitive to dairy, only to A1 dairy (which is the most common in the USA). The pubs don't try to force you to drink something sweetened. If you ask for tap water, you get a chilled bottle and a couple of glasses for no extra charge. It's quite common there. And at Woolworth's you can get great bags of nuts that you can use for 'road food'.

It is funny reading an American's take on Aus - I'm so glad you enjoyed our country so much. I have actually learnt so much about US culture from this board. My favorite has to be the gravy on biscuits
It has really made me appreciate our food industry here, something I did take for granted. Yes, pubs are the normal 'fast food' go to here - We do have the normal chains like McDonald's and Hungry Jacks in the cities and large towns but they are far less popular and considered more like drop in eating places for teenagers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
or NZ.....

We'll have to start a low carb international house swap
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-19, 19:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Im in!!!!!!!!!
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-19, 00:12

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

I personally haven't eaten at a Subway for a few years. Yes I know they do a meat and salad option without the bun, but I can get a meal like that elsewhere too, and local restaurants tend to offer a bigger plate for a similar price.

And Arielle, you'd always be welcome over here too.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-19, 03:31

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I haven't been to a Subway in ages either.

If I have no choice but to grab fast food, I prefer to stop at Five Guys. Their burgers are 100% beef, and they will gladly hold the bun, serving it in an aluminum "bowl", although they ask if you want it that way because of allergy or preference - most likely, there's a possibility of cross contamination from gluten, but it's fine if you're just LC. They have a list of free toppings and condiments, all of which you can have added to that burger-in-a-bowl, and many of the toppings are LC friendly.

I know they now have dozens of locations in the UK now too, not sure about other countries.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-19, 04:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I live in a state park and we have very few franchises. Most people like that.