Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atk
Stats: 394/341/250 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 37%
Talking New Kind on the Block

Greetings Everyone,

Okay where does one start? Well okay... I am 26 years old. I have been fat all my life. However, for me I am a lesbian and I have a shaved head so for me my weight was always part of being "butch" And, I have always been comfortable being big. I tried to loose weight when others where uncomfortable with my size. Needless to say that did not work. At one point I went from about 260 down to 145 pounds. However, I was unhappy and did not like being thin. So, the weight came back on with my best friends cheesecake.. Then I went back to be big and happy when asked about my weight I always said that I would loose weight when I was ready.... so here I am and now I am ready. Not because of the fact that I am uncomfortable with myself but the fact of age and the stress of fat on the body. Right now I am around ***DEEP BREATH*** 380 pounds. Over the past years I started to notice problems that I did not like my knees and back hurting and not fitting into my favorite jeams.
So, with all that said this is were I start... this is were I stand... I have been on the intro diet know for 3 days. I have read the Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution Book. I am down to 20 carbs a day and you know what??? I feel good.
Now I have a question do I need to start taking a iron pill or somthing to make up for what my body is lossing? Also, I bought the Kesto (sp) strips and I am using them do they really help? And, what is the best time of the day to use them morning, before I eat or evening after I eat? Anyway.... thanks in advace for your support

Saliena
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 08:49
Registered Member

BF:
Default eeerrr... New Kid on the Block

That was suppose to be the title.. :>)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 09:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Welcome aboard Saliena,

The Keto sticks are best used late afternoon or evening, and they do help beginners to control their carb intake and monitor it. Check our Tips page for more info on Ketosis and Keto sticks.

Looking forward to hear about your sucess.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 09:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool hi Saliena, welcome to our forum!

(I fixed the header, yer now a Kid )

It's true that we need to make the decision for change for OURSELVES, not anyone else ... if we want to be successful. Being comfortable and accepting of your body is a big help ... and wanting to lose weight to improve your health is more motivating than just wanting to be smaller, at least I think so.

About vitamins ... you would be well-served to take a good quality multiple vitamin & mineral supplement, such as Centrum or Quest .. there are others. Look for a formula that is "Super" or "forte" ... these have extra B-vitamins especially. There will be a trace of iron in the multi, so there's no need to take more. There is a concern about too much iron for men and post-menopause women .... but for us young'uns, the monthly losses serve to balance things naturally.. ... As you've probably noticed, your urine output increases significantly with ketosis and fat-burning, and you need to drink a lot of water to keep the kidneys flushed out. This may lead to your potassium level dropping, and some folks find themselves feeling weak, fatigued, aching muscles, headachey. You can take potassium as a supplement in pill form ... but the cheapest way is to use a salt substitute such as NoSalt or Morton's Lite Salt (in Canada it's called Half Salt) ... these are made with potassium chloride. You just use as you would regular salt, and they work fine in cooking too.

Wa'il has made a good suggestion about the ketone sticks -- just remember they're just a guide ... some folks never get a positive reading, but they lose fat and inches just fine. YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Happy lowcarbing! Keep us posted of your success

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 09:44
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the replys... I was at the story shopping with my partner last night. SHe is not on a diet and is in pretty good shape. So, it was hard shopping with her and buying things that we both can eat... so it is kind of odd in that way. But, I found the "Dr. Atkins Vitamins" but I went with the One A Day for Women. I was not sure if that was good or not. But, I am sticking with them. I feel great today.... now if I could just get out of this chair and go work out for my lunch hour... Thanks again
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 10:06
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Saliena!

This place is great for support. Wander around and read through the Tips, Stories and Recipe sections in the red bar at the top of the page. Read the Journals in the Journal/Bootcamp section.

If your partner does not low-carb for weight issues, low carbing will do great things for almost everyone. Two "skinny" people I know are low carbing to help them with sugar addictions and both are amazed at how wonderful they feel. If she reads Atkins or Protein Power, she may be intrigued enough to start.

Keep posting!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 17:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi saliena and welcome! you've the right feelings for lowcarbing! you should do really well! maybe your partner will start lowcarbing with you. you set the good example and she'll probably follow. there doesn't have to be really big changes. just leave out the potatoes and rice! have chicken and salad, steak and salad, pork chops and salad,.....you can make really nice meals with out the starch. broccoli and cauliflower are also good lowcarb choices!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-19-01, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Eating

I bet when your friend sees what great meals you are having...that you'll soon be making another one exactly the same, for her!!!