Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, LOTS of exercise !!
Stats: 155/148/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Looking for a good Doctor in Toronto

I don't know why I didn't think of this before but... does anyone know of a good diabetes doctor in Toronto? Even in the general area would be great.

The few great ones I have heard of are of course not taking new patients.

I have a doc who is fine for the regular stuff but only knows how to deal with diabetes in the traditional fashion.

Cheers, AJ
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 12:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi! Have you asked your doc for a referral to an endocrinologist? S/he might be able to get you in with someone.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario has a searchable database of doctors accepting new patients. The website is here:

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Doctor_Search/dr_srch_hm.htm

Of course, there's no way of knowing which ones are LC friendly.

Good luck; HTH...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-12-03, 01:06
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Bernstein's Diabetic Solution, LOTS of exercise !!
Stats: 155/148/135
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default A Good Doc.

Wow, thanks for such a quick response.

I have had what the majority would call the best of the best endo doc. However he is not pro low carb in the least. He just kept telling me to "Think like a pancreas" Well, duh. If wishes were fishes the sea would be full.

I am sooooo frustrated. I thought in the beginning that there would be a wealth of really good medical support out there. I have learned that for the most part we are on our own.

This site forum has given me more support than anyone or any so called diabetes education facility. They all advocate the 60 percent from carb thing.

Well I don't need to tell you how detrimental that is. Last night I treated myself to mashed potatoes and perhaps (oh, yeah, right) a bit more wine that I would normally consume.

As a result I have craved and caved. I feel so bloated and fat.

Arrrgggghhh, ok now I will get back on track.

Thank you so much, I really get down on myself for not "managing" well.

The med people seem to think it is soooooo easy. HAH! Guess what.... they don't have the same problems we do.

Kristine, thank you for being there. It means the world to me.

Cheers, AJ

p.s. I will have a boo at the site you recommended

p.p.s. I meant to ask are you doing the insulin thing? I am according to the doc and would like to explore options. How do you deal with it?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 17:32
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi AJ! "Think like a pancreas?!" I think a diabetic's pancreas would be screaming for a BREAK from sugar and starch! Why isn't this obvious to the medical community?

"p.p.s. I meant to ask are you doing the insulin thing?"

Nope, I'm not diabetic (yet) but I browse this forum 'cause I have quite a case of hypoglycemia. Well... at least I did before I adopted a low carb lifestyle! I noticed you were in Ontario, so I thought I'd mention that website. I check it often because I have no family doctor. I'm in St Catharines and there are none accepting new patients.

Anyway, best of luck with your doctor. Remember: do what you feel is best. Your doctor is not your boss: s/he is a consultant who you 'hire' to advise you. *You* make the final decisions. Good luck and good health!