Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 20:28
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 240/190/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

>> Keeping your blood sugar down also keeps your triglycerides down (except when you are actively losing weight) <<

Nopie ---

Oh, no! EXCEPT when actively losing weight? Groan!

I would really like to get my triglycerides down. They were 235 in October. I have been very pleased with my FBG on the 6-12-12 plan (94 this morning, by far the lowest I have had in the past 10 years -- I used to be like your friend who was thrilled with a FBG of 140). I was really hoping the better BG control would lead to lower triglycerides. So your comment about "except when actively losing weight" was discouraging. But if this is true, so be it. I would rather know it now so I won't be disappointed when I go for my next labwork in January.

In the past when I have asked my doctors about lowering my triglycerides I have always been told that I am probably eating too much starch at night. I always reply that I don't eat ANY starch at any time of the day, but I don't think the doctors ever believed me. I have been struggling with moderate carb diets (ala Zone, around 100 grams a day) for several years. Until I started LC-ing at 6-12-12 I would never have believed it was possible for me to have FBG's below 100.

So you think I probably shouldn't hope for lowered triglycerides as long as I am actively losing weight? Even though my BG is so much better? (Please don't tell me they will go UP! )

Marjorie
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 07:28

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 245/210/190
BF:
Progress: 64%

Marjorie,

According to Dr. Bernstein's book, when you are losing weight, the metabolized fat becomes Tryglicerides in the blood first, then fuel for energy.

I bet your blood tests will reveal improvement inspite of this phenomonon.

Jim
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 07:49
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the encouragement, Jim!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 08:54

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default triglycerides

My triglycerides were up two weeks ago when I had them checked and I do believe it is because I am now losing weight. The way I see it, I will just have to put up with the higher triglycerides while I lose weight which, in the long run, will lower my insulin resistance and then my triglycerides will follow.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-19-03, 11:47
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks, Nopie!
That seems like a sensible mindset to have.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 02:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

Good Work Alleymom
Don't listen to people who don't have a clue about lowcarbing. All they know is what they have heard not knowing that what they heard is wrong. there are no studies showing lowcarb eating ruins kidneys in people with healthy kidneys. only in people who had bad kidneys when they started.
Drs Atkins and Bernstein say if you have kidney problems not to do the diet.

Besides what is so unhealthy about vegetables?
alot of people here will tell you they are now eating more vegetables than they ever have before.

Good luck on your journey to diabetes control and rest assured that you are on the right path.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 12:04
Registered Member

BF:

>>> Good luck on your journey to diabetes control and rest assured that you are on the right path. <<<

Thanks, Kevjol!

And thanks for the link to Fitday. I had been reading posts where it was mentioned, but last night I visited the site for the first time after I saw the link you have at the bottom of your message to me.

What an amazing site! I spent a long time playing with it.

I've been wondering about how to count lettuce/salad. Dr. B says 2 cups = 12 grams carbs, but when I read the back of my Dole salad mix, their counts are a LOT lower. They say 1.5 cups = 4 grams carbs, and that's before subtracting the fiber.

But if you add a little cucumber or red pepper or onion I guess maybe you could get the 2 cups up to 12 grams pretty quickly. When I'm in a hurry I'll just dump some lettuce mix in a bowl without any other veggies.

How do you count your salads on Fitday, if you don't mind my asking? Are you creating a custom food or using one of their presets?

Thanks,
Marjorie
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 16:53
Registered Member

I just add all ingrediants separtely
or create a custom food and put in what is on the nutriational label
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 22:42

Plan: PP
Stats: 183/165/145 Female 5'6
BF:41/39/20's
Progress: 47%

Dr B notes that from experience these measurements of food act similar in carbs. (ie: 2 c salad=1 c cooked veggie=1/2 c mashed veggie) His point is that foods, when digested can have similar effect on BS even tho' amounts are varying. It has to do with how easliy foods are broken down by the body, cooked easier than raw, mashed easier than chunks, etc. The point behind the salad thing I think is what he calls the "chinese food effect", even tho' salad may be lower in carb, over filling stomach will slow down digestion and have adverse effect on BS.
You should test, test, test after eating and introducing different foods and amounts to find what works for you.
Good luck with your journey...

Last edited by p_rosie : Sat, Nov-22-03 at 22:44.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 23:08
Registered Member

BF:

Rosie --

Oh, right, now I remember. I even commented to someone recently about the Chinese restaurant effect. I remember that in the book Dr. B. talks about a woman eating a whole head of lettuce before swimming and getting a bigger rise in BG than she expected.

Somehow I wasn't mentally translating that downwards to realize that even if you go down from a whole head of lettuce to just 2 cups of lettuce, lettuce in and of itself is going to have a greater apparent effect than the value of the carbs themselves.

That makes sense now. What was confusing me is that the info on the back of the Dole lettuce mix didn't seem to add up to what Dr. B. said, especially if you were to subtract the fiber grams.

Thanks for the good explanation.

Marjorie
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 08:58

Plan: PP
Stats: 183/165/145 Female 5'6
BF:41/39/20's
Progress: 47%

It really is a bummer tho', I know so many ppl taken in by mashed cauliflower. It tastes so good and you think you are doing something all right, then whammo >BS. I am planning to make several dishes LC for Thankgiving but I know I still will only be able to have small bites of each due to this! Oh well, I know if I don't play nice my BGL will go into coma mode and I will be stuck for three days with high #'s.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 20:13
Registered Member

BF:

>>> I know so many ppl taken in by mashed cauliflower. It tastes so good and you think you are doing something all right, then whammo >BS. I am planning to make several dishes LC for Thankgiving but I know I still will only be able to have small bites of each due to this! <<<

You know, so many people think that LC-ing means high-fat and high-protein bingeing is A-ok! It's a shock to realize that yes, I really can get far lower BG's than I ever thought possible ... BUT I also have to be REALLY strict about the amount of food I eat.

I went and re-read the section in Dr. Bernstein's book about the woman whose BG went up so much after eating a head of lettuce before swimming. I had forgotten the details. I knew her BG went up but I hadn't remembered how high it rose ... her BG went to 300 (!!!) after having only the 10 or 15 grams of carbs in the lettuce. Yikes!

I am just getting ready to bake a lower-carb crustless pumpkin pie for tomorrow, but I will have only a sliver.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Marjorie
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 08:16
Registered Member

We made a lowcarb Thanksgiving dinner with fried turkey, mashed cauliflower, brocolli and cheese sauce, lowcarb cornbread stuffing, green beans, low carb carrot cake and a few other things I don't remember now.

I ate a pretty hefty amount but did not stuff myself
anyway my BG only went up 50 points and was back to normal in a few hours.

All in All I considered it a pretty sucessful meal for a holiday
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 16:06
Registered Member

BF:

Kevjol ---

Fantastic! Good for you!!!! Your dinner sounds scrumdillyicious and you didn't knock your BG's into orbit for a week! Where did you get the low-carb carrot cake recipe? Is it on the forum somewhere? Did it have cream cheese icing??

I take it your whole family must be low-carbing?

Mine isn't, so I made traditional mashed potaoes, stuffing, peas, rolls and pies for everyone else. I had the turkey with a little traditional flour-thickened gravy, green beans almondine, some sugar-free cranberry orange relish, and a slice of my low-carb pumpkin pie with real whipped cream. I was totally satisfied.

After the in-laws went home, I checked my family's BG's one at a time, about 3 hours after eating. Mine was still pretty high, at 140, even though I was very moderate with my eating. But I have only been getting things under control in the last 4 weeks. In September I was in the mid 200's day and night and I would have been tickled pink with a *fasting BG of 140, let alone a postprandial 140.

My husband was recently told he is pre-diabetic, and his 3 hour postprandial was 145, even higher than mine. My daughter has hypoglycemia. She started feeling a little shaky a couple of hours after dinner, so she had a small piece of the low-carb pie about 30 minutes before I tested everyone. Even then, her BG was only 89.

A new family tradition ... everyone wash your hands and let me stab your finger!

Congratulations on your successful holiday!

Marjorie