Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 140/140/115
BF:
Progress: 0%
Lightbulb Time to be proactive?

I have been thinking about making this way of living work more for me than it is. My downfall and frustration is local cafes and lunchbars.

So I thought perhaps it would be a good idea to start with one local eatery and actually 'invite' them to be the 'first place locally to actively advertise low-carb meals to be found inside' ?

Has anyone out there actually tried this tact before, and if so, were you successful?

I thought if I explained via a letter to their manager that low-carb way of eating is on the increase in NZ and people find it hard to find suitable foods at cafes to enjoy, then perhaps they would attract and profit from these customers?

I would be interested in everyones comments on this. But I think I will give it a go. The worse that can happen is a firm no, or no reply to my letter. If they say yes or come and talk to us, then I can explain what type of meals/foods we require and also a carb count on items would be good too.
Cheers
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 22:23
Registered Member

Plan: Kimkins
Stats: 308/158/160 Female 177
BF:
Progress: 101%

Oh yeah, what a great idea. I am sick of staring muffins, pizzas, paninis, croissants and bagels in the eye everytime I go to a cafe. Sometimes if I am lucky there is a parsley garnish!!

You could start with a place that has a specific 'healthfood' market already - for example here in Wellington there are a couple that advertise as organic or vegetarian (ok - maybe the vegetarian one is a no-goer!).

Also, I think that there a lot of synergy between wheat-free and LC - my mother is wheat-free and we eat a lot of the same things when we are out at lunch together. That could be another selling point for a cafe. There are loads of wheat-free people around now. Of course they can munch on rice and potatoes - but like us they avoid pasta, pastry, bread, muffins and cakes, breadcrumbed food, flour thickened sauce,etc.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 22:52
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 140/140/115
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thanks Kiwilass
I am from Wgtn too and was thinking of approaching Revive on Woodward St off Lambton Quay. Thanks for the tip about the Wheat free thingee, I think that will help.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 02:00

Plan: atkins/now CAD
Stats: 250/229/130 Female 63 inches
BF:yes/it/is
Progress: 18%

Hi I'm from Wellington too.
Small world eh?
After I drop the kids I look after off at school I have 1/2 hour before my main job starts. Then after that I have 1 1/2 hr before I pick up the next kids for my pm child minding stint (3 days a week on that one). So I've been doing some market research on cafe's.
Brandon St Cafe does the meanest scrambled eggs, they definetly put cream in them. I'm not sure if they're on offer all day though.
Mr Bun do an all day breakfast with lots of LC ok choices but they're pretty pricey. I think thats what they're called there's one accross the road from Magnetix on Lambton quay and one on the corner of Taranaki St and Courtenay Place.
There's an old style cafe upstairs on the left hand side of Willis St as you head away from the station. Just by where the bus stops.
They also do an all day brekky. If you ask for no toast they give you a big pile of mushrooms instead and extra tomato.
Also top of the escalator by AMI and AA just past Plimmers Steps there's a cafe that does all day breakfasts as well (also rather pricey).
Sounds like I eat out a lot, I don't but sometimes I need to escape from this wacky lifestyle. LC lets me do that guilt free.
The other option is to go to the deli dept of New World grab a peice of chook some olives etc and head down Oriental Pde.
Anyone try the pigs ears yet??
  #5   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 15:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

Wow

I had no idea there were so many Wellingtonians out there! That's so great. Gosh there were only 2 NZers here when I first joined

Great idea to write to the cafe! I think Revive would be quite open to the idea - they seem to be pretty forward thinking there.

Give it a go and let us know how you get on

Lesley
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 17:02
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all the cafe lunches tips feather. A good excuse to have lunch out more often! I work up Molesworth St, the cafes up this end are limited to caesar or chicken salad for LC choices. Fortunately I have a feast of opportunities from Thordon New World!

I did buy some pigs ears - but only for my dog - she enjoyed them. I think I will just have to make do without pork rinds! I tell you what though, I did buy some pork crackling and cook it up - it used to be such an "evil" thing on a low fat diet. Well I ate some, and now I have to say I would be happy to never see it again!

And something else I will never do again - cadbury lite chocolate. OMG the effect was disasterous!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 20:42

Where did you get the choccy?? I NEED the disaster. If I have to down one more glass of psyllium or metamucil I'll explode.
I haven't been to revive for ages, I must check them out next time I'm killing time. Your right they are pretty good. My dog likes pigs ears too, also bits of horses hooves from the farriers visits neither appeal to me, nor did the crackling. (The dog left most of that too).
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 20:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%
Progress: 100%

LOL - feather, New World has the Cadbury Lite. Usually amng all the other chocolate.

Lesley
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 23:31
Registered Member

Plan: Lofatcity (Picture of Health) Atkins type
Stats: 96/92.4/64
BF:
Progress: 11%

Hi,

I have to say I really like the Cadbury Lite chocolate. Luckily the tummy rumbles are only minimal and well worth getting my chocolate fix in my opinion.

I have heard though that reactions to the sugar alcohols in these products varies between people...so I suppose caution is a good idea when first trying them.

ozgal
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 20:27

Went and got some cadbury lite last night. Didn't go to gym this morning (Guess why). Hey, what do they mean on the back of the pack that a serving is 15g. If there's 75g in the pack then the seving size in 75g, right?? I mean this is chocolate its not like I'm going to eat 4 little squares and save the rest.
Thanks for the tip I've been avoiding the confectionery aisle. I won't now.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 14:25
Registered Member

BF:

Hey, I thought some of you Wellingtonians might be interested in what I read last night (since we are on the subject of cafes and low-carb). According to my mother-in-law's Diabetes magazine, "Cafe 93" up Molesworth St offers a variety of food suited to different dietary requriements - wheat-free for ceoliacs, diabetic, etc. So, I guess they would have suitable choices for low-carb as well.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 03:38

Plan: atkins
Stats: 123/122/116 Female 5 ft 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

"Oh yeah, what a great idea. I am sick of staring muffins, pizzas, paninis, croissants and bagels in the eye everytime I go to a cafe. Sometimes if I am lucky there is a parsley garnish!! " Kiwchick

I absolutely agree. I have only been doing this WOE for about 2 months. But I get scared that what I am eating out has hidden carbs that I don't know about. Would be good to have a low carb option to choose from the menu without having to say I will have this but without the bun etc....

You go for it Kiwichick