Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-07, 09:19

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

I don't know if this link has been provided, and I'm not going back through the thread to look.

A condensed version of the Taubes appearance on Larry King: http://www.cnn.com/video
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 11:41

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Here's one of my favorites, page 388-389:

Quote:
A single molecule plays the pivitol role in the system. It goes by a number of names, the simplist being glycerol phosphate. This glycerol phosphate molecule is produced from glucose when it is used for fuel in the fat cells and the liver, and it too, can be burned as fuel in the cells. But glycerol phosphate is also an essential component of the process that binds three fatty acids into a trygliceride. It provides the glycerol molecule that links the fatty acids together. In other words, a product of carbohydrate metabolism-i.e., burning glucose for fuel-is an essential component in the regulation of fat metabolism: storing fat in the fat tissue. In fact, the rate at which fatty acids are assembled into triglycerides, and so the rate at which fat accumulates in the fat tissue, depend primarily on the availability of glycerol phosphate. The more glucose that is transported into the fat cells and used to generate energy, the more glycerol phosphate will be produced. And the more glycerol phosphate produced, the more fatty acids will be assembled into triglycerides. Thus, anything that works to transport more glucose into the fat cells-insulin, for example, or rising blood sugar-will lead to the conversion of more fatty acids into triglycerides, and the storage of more calories as fat.
  #123   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 13:33

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

I just read this out loud to hubby last night. I am on my second read-through....this time with a highligher and red post-it flag
  #124   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 16:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I just read this out loud to hubby last night. I am on my second read-through....this time with a highligher and red post-it flag

That is a good one, isn't it? That is really some powerful information.
  #125   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 240/180/180 Male 6'2"
BF:9.5%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL53563
Here's one of my favorites, page 388-389:

I have read the passage about the fatty acid cycle twice, hoping to gain some clarity on this subject. However, Taubes is not quite consistent so I am still not clear.
At one point he says that the tryglicerades cannot penetrate the fat cell membrane only the FFA can . Further down on the same page he says that the glycerol phosphate forms tryglycerides also in the liver (besides in adipose tissue) and they are then shipped to the adipose tissue. So can the tryglicerades get through the membranes or not?
  #126   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-07, 18:00

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebrace
People just hate change, and hate even more being made to look like idiots. Even as the 'high moral ground' they take shrinks from its former continent to a tiny island of denial, the Ornishes of this world will go on defending their ever more tenuous hold on credibility. They simply have too much to lose.

Stuart.

They also hate being told they can't have Krispy Kremes.
  #127   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 09:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by manger
I have read the passage about the fatty acid cycle twice, hoping to gain some clarity on this subject. However, Taubes is not quite consistent so I am still not clear.
At one point he says that the tryglicerades cannot penetrate the fat cell membrane only the FFA can . Further down on the same page he says that the glycerol phosphate forms tryglycerides also in the liver (besides in adipose tissue) and they are then shipped to the adipose tissue. So can the tryglicerades get through the membranes or not?

Here we go: Page 387

Quote:
As triglycerides, the fat is locked into the fat cells, because triglycerides are too big to slip through the cell membranes. They have to be broken down into fatty acids-the process technically known as lypolosis-before the fat can escape into the circulation. The triglycerides in the bloodstream must also be broken down into fatty acids before the fat can diffuse into the fat cells. It's only reconstituted into triglycerides, a process called esterification, once the fatty acids have passed through the walls of the blood vessels and the fat-cell membranes and are safely inside. This is true for all triglycerides, whether they originated as fat in the diet or were converted from carbohydrate in the diet.
  #128   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 11:56

BF:

Nancy LC's words of wisdom have been immortalized in a cartoon I created for my blog

http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...pid-things.html
  #129   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 12:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
Nancy LC's words of wisdom have been immortalized in a cartoon I created for my blog

http://wifezillasway.blogspot.com/2...pid-things.html

I love it!!!
  #130   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 14:22
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

LOL! That's hilarious! Only one teeny weeny nickpit... it's NOES. Dunno where that comes from, but I see it all over http://icanhascheezburger.com/, seems to be some sort of slang spelling that is popular these days.

Here's some examples: http://icanhascheezburger.com/?s=noes

Ok, here we go: Atkinz Cat

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Nov-08-07 at 14:37.
  #131   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 14:46

Plan: Paleo/Organic Fat Flush
Stats: 193/176/145 Female 5'4.5"
BF:42/31/24
Progress: 35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
LOL! That's hilarious! Only one teeny weeny nickpit... it's NOES. Dunno where that comes from, but I see it all over http://icanhascheezburger.com/, seems to be some sort of slang spelling that is popular these days.

Here's some examples: http://icanhascheezburger.com/?s=noes

Ok, here we go: Atkinz Cat

I just knew that's where you got NOES!

I love that website.
  #132   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 14:51

BF:

Last edited by Wifezilla : Thu, Nov-08-07 at 17:18.
  #133   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 02:15

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I loved this book. Not in front of me now, and I'm hard pressed to come up with a favorite quote...heck, my book is half pink! I used up several pink highliters in it, I was underlining so much it got ridiculous. I raced thru the book fascinated, then started reading it again. There's so much to absorb.

The whole saga in this book reminds me so me of what is going on with celiac disease/gluten sensitivity, which I have struggled with. I dug deep and got my own knowledge and ended up figuring it out on my own, but again, as with fat, there is HUMONGOUS resistance to accepting the idea that GRAINS, particularly the gluten grains of wheat/barley/rye, just might be something the human digestive system wasn't meant to deal with. The level of medical ignorance in this regard is quite astounding. The information is out there, but no one looks at it. Just like with the research discussed in GCBC. So reading GCBC had such a familiar ring in terms of the resistance to new ideas, new research, a refusal to change old ideas. I wonder how many OTHER medical things are similarly shrouded in ignorance and refusal to consider new ideas???
  #134   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 08:50

BF:

Quote:
I wonder how many OTHER medical things are similarly shrouded in ignorance and refusal to consider new ideas???

It scares me just thinking about it.
  #135   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-07, 08:59

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
I wonder how many OTHER medical things are similarly shrouded in ignorance and refusal to consider new ideas???
I can tell you one. It is cancer and its' reliance on high blood glucose to grow.
Read this to understand what I am saying.