Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-07, 16:03

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Indeed. It's his book in a nutshell, and I'm trying to get everyone I know to read it, since I know I'll never get them to read the whole book.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-07, 18:53

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Heh, that's sort of like getting the Cliff's Notes on the book! I bet I could even get my ADD husband to read that good synopsis
  #183   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-07, 19:17

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I don't even have time to read all the stuff I should read for our business, so it's wonderful to have people like Nancy post this type of interview, and the many posters who have reproduced bits and pieces from the book! I may never have enough time to actually read the book, but these excerpts are giving me a good "feel" for it, and I must say I'm tempted to buy a copy for my doctor as a Christmas gift! (I wonder if he has any more time for reading than I have? )

A big Thank you to all of you who have read the book and have shared it (and are still sharing it) with those of us who haven't!

Glenda
  #184   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-07, 13:58

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Glendacr, do yourself a favor and buy the book for yourself. Even if you have to put it in the toilet and read only 10 pages a day, it's worth it. It tells such a frightening story of how we came to be in the position we are now. We came so close to the truth. The information was there for the taking. For a while both the carbs hypothesis and the fat hypothesis had equal merit and it could have gone either ways. It's was a kind of pivotal moment in the history of health. Then the balance tipped...the wrong way. They knew, back in the 60's and before that refined carbs, and sugar consumption was the big factor that caused all our modern chronic disease. They knew it from having studied and observed native populations that became westernized. They knew it and they blew it. Because of people like Ancel Keys. I am forced to wonder what the world would be had all this effort to change our eating behavior been focused on the right thing. If my father had gone on a low-carb diet when he was first diagnosed with CHD, maybe he would be alive today. Maybe my mother would not have spent the last 20 years alone.
  #185   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-07, 15:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, the book has really inspired me to stop cheating on the diet. Even if all you read is the sections on obesity and skip the health chapters... it is so worth it.
  #186   ^
Old Thu, Nov-22-07, 18:16

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

I'm 70 years old and I remember quite clearly being very puzzled about why, all of a sudden, starches were the good guy and fats were bad. I never did read Ancel Keys' book but I had friends who did and everyone was so positive he was right. It didn't make sense to me, but when all these highly educated people started to insist - well, who was I to argue?

I probably will buy the book, mostly so I can back up some of my beliefs with hard facts to all the well-meaning friends who claim to be worried that I'm gonna asplode my kidneys!

Glenda
  #187   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 11:43

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Angeline, I just have to say, that's an excellent synopsis!
  #188   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 13:45

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Yeah, the book has really inspired me to stop cheating on the diet

me too, i've really been motivated and lost almost 20 lbs since i read the book. I just can't justify anymore putting the junk into my body that they knew decades before my birth was going to make me sick and fat. I refuse to give them that much power over me. Just my little way of fighting back. They won't know or care but it makes me feel like i'm giving them a poke in the eye for being so arrogant and presumptous.
  #189   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 14:56

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

I'm another who has lost all inducement to cheat since reading the book. To me, it's like someone recognizing that they're allergic to peanuts (in my case, carbs) and that I just have to know that if I eat any peanuts (carbs) it will be bad for me.

I've realized that I am highly insulin resistant so the inducement is even greater. For people like my wife, she thinks she can tolerate carbs better and won't read the book. There's nothing I can do to get her to believe that this refers to her too. The only hope is that more research comes out showing that we're right, that Taubes was sounding a real alarm bell.

I'm working through it for the second time, and it's even more powerful this time as I'm catching more and understanding the nuances of his arguments better.

Read it!

Plane
  #190   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 14:59

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
I'm working through it for the second time, and it's even more powerful this time as I'm catching more and understanding the nuances of his arguments better.

I did that...with a highlighter and post-it flags in hand. My book looks very colorful now
  #191   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 16:52
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I haven't cheated once since I started reading that book. Wow, it is like a powerful voodoo talisman. The worst thing I've done was stick my finger in the bottom of the pot to taste this sugary syrup that came out of some yams I baked (wasn't added sugars). I was just curious. Didn't know there was so much sugar in them! I didn't even taste the yams, just licked off my finger and marveled at how the sugar kind of turned into a thread when it cooled down.

Everything carby that wasn't eaten was immediately thrown away completely unsampled.

That book's kung fu is strong.
  #192   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 16:55

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
That book's kung fu is strong.

It's true!
  #193   ^
Old Fri, Nov-23-07, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

I still have not finished it yet, but not because it isn't well written or important. I just get so damned angry that I have to put the book down. I look at all the things that were known for so danged many years, and all the medical and nutrition advice I was given for those years, and I am just undone.
  #194   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-07, 08:20

Plan: Kwasniewski Ratios
Stats: 175/143/142 Male 66.5 inches
BF:30%/22.9%/20%
Progress: 97%

I read Taubes' book in October and am now rereading it...underlining this time. It prompted me to do a search for "all meat diet" and thus I found this site and particularly the thread involving "TheBear" and I read it. This has inspired me to attempt TheBear's way of eating. This is my first post on this site and just wanted to say hi because I'm really fascinated with this topic.....regards, Jules, Warrenton, VA
  #195   ^
Old Sat, Nov-24-07, 09:24

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooth2u
I read Taubes' book in October and am now rereading it...underlining this time. It prompted me to do a search for "all meat diet" and thus I found this site and particularly the thread involving "TheBear" and I read it. This has inspired me to attempt TheBear's way of eating. This is my first post on this site and just wanted to say hi because I'm really fascinated with this topic.....regards, Jules, Warrenton, VA

Welcome, Jules.

The Bear thread was very interesting, I agree. Keep us informed as to how it goes for you.