Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 12:40

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Locarb4mee your profile "pic" reminds me of my brother's only attempt at dieting. He would have a "delicious" nutri-shake for breakfast, followed by a nice hearty breakfast.

Needless to say, it didn't work.

Now, he's actually much slimmer. He was born with only one kidney and when it started failing, he had to go on dialysis. Finally after all these years of eating fast food, he is taking his diet seriously. Sadly, much too late.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 13:54

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Almost done... I'm reading the epilogue which is still quite a lot of info to digest. But the epilogue made me so proud of Gary Taubes.

I just went "Way to go, Gary!" when I read that. It summed up everything that has been bottling upside me for 452 pages.

I couldn't stand it. When I saw there was an epilogue I started by reading that first!!!
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 15:52

Plan: SCD/Lutz/Atkins/PP hybrid
Stats: 115/115/120 Male 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Folks- I was in a waiting room today and caught a favorable review of GCBC in the October issue of Men's Health. It didn't categorically endorse Taubes' assertions but pointed out that his book is not "another diet book", is exhaustively researched and, is getting support from some scientists, plus, in closing, the review suggested that maybe Atkins was right all along.

Good for Men's Health, which had the courage a year back or so to publish an article challenging the low fat/high carb ADA position on diets for diabetes.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 16:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Men's Health has been firmly inline with low carbing for awhile now.
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-07, 20:25

Plan: Zero Carb
Stats: 200/189/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
Locarb4mee your profile "pic" reminds me of my brother's only attempt at dieting. He would have a "delicious" nutri-shake for breakfast, followed by a nice hearty breakfast.

Needless to say, it didn't work.

Now, he's actually much slimmer. He was born with only one kidney and when it started failing, he had to go on dialysis. Finally after all these years of eating fast food, he is taking his diet seriously. Sadly, much too late.

Wow, sorry to hear about your brother. I'm fighting becoming a totally obnoxious low carb evangelist. It seems like every day I meet or run into someone I know who is having weight-related issues and I want to sit them down and bend their ears a while. Or buy them Taubes book and lock them in a room til they're done.

I'm glad he's doing better, that's something hopeful, isn't it!

As for my avatar, it's kind of a slam at Kimkins...which not only got me started on the low carb WOE but also brought my metabolism to a total grinding halt and made me anemic. So I'm trying to be good Atkins/Groves/PP style so my metabolism will get better so I can lose more weight.

I'm hoping the day will come when people will ask me "What did you do to lose all that weight????" As it is now, most people notice I've lost some but by now I should have lost a bunch.
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 06:08
Finding Balance

Plan: Atkins/PP Maint, IF24/24
Stats: 162/123/120 Female 63.5 inches
BF:~50%/23.9%/20%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarb4mee
.....I'm fighting becoming a totally obnoxious low carb evangelist. .......
Me too, but it sure is hard. I had thought about buying the book for all my family members for Christmas, but now I'm not so sure. My mom really made it clear that she was getting tired of hearing me "preach" LC, when I visited last week.

And my boyfriend and I had a fight, after we started watching the Larry King Live interview. I just wish I could get him to read the book.

I did give the book to my sister already (knowing she would love it), and I'm hoping to get her feedback on if it's a good idea to give to it to Mom. I think I will still give a copy to my son and dad.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 08:20

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
I'm fighting becoming a totally obnoxious low carb evangelist.

I think I am a lost cause. Any day now I will start going door to door with Taubes' book and a copy of "Natural Health and Weight Loss" by Barry Groves.

"Can I talk to you about your carb infested lifestyle?"

::SLAM::
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 09:06
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I think I am a lost cause. Any day now I will start going door to door with Taubes' book and a copy of "Natural Health and Weight Loss" by Barry Groves.

"Can I talk to you about your carb infested lifestyle?"

::SLAM::

ROFLMAO!

Preach it sister, preach it! LOL
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 10:19

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 104%

I always believed in the thrifty gene hypothesis - the idea that people only gain weight when they find themselves in all this food abundance which isn't the natural state of things. Taubes clears this up myth for me rather nicely in chapter 14..

Apparently, feast and famine is only a product of our agriculture years, and hunter gather types lived "in equilibrium with their environment just as every other species does" Apparently the hunter gatherers that were studied in Aftrica in the l960s (during a drought) worked one day and then rested three -- the rest of the time visited, and entertained neighbors. Hmmm. While anthropologist Lee was studying the Kung Bushmen of the semi-arid Kalahari desert, the "united Nations had instituted a famine-relief program for the local agriculturalists". Apparently, during droughts, the animals gather around the same watering holes in higher concentration than normal. It's a bit like all the hot dogs and bacon, next to the steaks and chops in our modern supermarkets I guess.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 11:49
Experimenter

BF:

Me too, Square, me too. But when 90% of the population seem to have the same "thrifty gene" you start to wonder if perhaps you're just describing something typical.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 12:09

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locarb4mee
I'm hoping the day will come when people will ask me "What did you do to lose all that weight????" As it is now, most people notice I've lost some but by now I should have lost a bunch.

well, unfortunately, even when they are so shocked by my losing half of myself, when I tell them Atkins they STILL tell me it's bad.

WTF????????

ya, I'm often tempted to be a low carb evangelist too. Lady here is really getting sick from her woe and she just waltzed by with poutine (fries, cheese curds and gravy). She said she'd rather die before giving up bread and I'm afraid she's trying to prove it.
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 12:17

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
even when they are so shocked by my losing half of myself, when I tell them Atkins they STILL tell me it's bad.

WTF???????

I work in a print shop. Customers are noticing and asking how I have lost 35 lbs since May. When I tell them "low carb" they go off on a "Atkins will kill you" rant.

Hummm....my blood pressure is way down, and I am getting skinny. You are on blood pressure and diabetes meds and are getting fatter. Let's see who dies first :P
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 12:24

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

OMG... I love that... let's see who dies first.... HAHAHHHAAAA!!!!
  #104   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 13:24

Plan: Modified Paleo Atkins
Stats: 260/260/190 Male 71 inches
BF:Getting/Much/Bette
Progress: 0%

Yeah, my wife has already told me that she's had enough of the Taubes book. She's happy that I'm losing, and everything, but she's started to feel that my talking about the book is a sort of judgment against her way of eating.

I've had to really, consciously, keep my talking about my diet to a minimum. I am so excited about the fact that I've lose 23 pounds in 7 weeks, I want to tell everyone, I want to share my joy with everyone, but few want to hear it. They especially don't want to hear that what they're eating is bad. I also feel sometimes uncomfortable telling people what the book says because it sounds so radical that it sounds like I'm some wild-eyed nutrition radical.

Some day we'll be shown to be right.

Plane
  #105   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-07, 13:45
Experimenter

BF:

I've been waiting for that day for about 20 years now. Hurry up galdingit!