Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#751   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 07:45
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Grassrootshealth D Action they have had to put their fee up to $60. They were hoping that they would, by keeping the price low attract sufficient numbers to enable them to get high volume discounts from the suppliers but they haven't done so and are now having to base their pricing on a more sustainable basis. Grassrootshealth are heavily into educating the public and professionals as well as trying to do their own research so there really is a lot more to Grassrootshealth Charity than merely being a source of cheap 25(OH)D testing.

If you think of your $60 as a sponsorship fee towards their work that would perhaps make the increased price a little easier to digest.
Sponsored Links
  #752   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-10, 14:56

Plan: Primal Blueprint, roughly
Stats: 212/185/170 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 64%

If you're contemplating the plan but want to cut out (some of) the junk from the shakes, try: ice, water, 1-2 scoops of a plain whey protein powder (Any Whey is a great brand, with just 3 or 4 ingredients, none scary), 1 scoop of low-crap sweetened/flavored powder (Jay Robb's is probably the best widely-available one) in the flavor of your choice, 2 TB coconut milk, and skip the BCAA powder and frankensugar. Works fine, tastes fine, and it's more like actual food.
  #753   ^
Old Mon, Mar-29-10, 18:03

Plan: Somersizing (High Fat/Low
Stats: 170/145/120 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress: 50%

I use the following trick to give the shakes consitence of almost soft icecream. I use at least 10 ice cubes and crush them about a minute in the shaker. I add only very little liquid (2 oz heavy cream and may be a halve cup of warter. After the liquid ingredients are mixed, I add the PP Powder plus a tsp of Xantham gum and in addition 1 Tsp of Sugarfree Jello. To me it tastes almost like ice-cream. Hope it helps someone in this group.
  #754   ^
Old Thu, Apr-01-10, 15:18

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by makapl
I use the following trick to give the shakes consitence of almost soft icecream. I use at least 10 ice cubes and crush them about a minute in the shaker. I add only very little liquid (2 oz heavy cream and may be a halve cup of warter. After the liquid ingredients are mixed, I add the PP Powder plus a tsp of Xantham gum and in addition 1 Tsp of Sugarfree Jello. To me it tastes almost like ice-cream. Hope it helps someone in this group.

Thanks! I'll give your recipe a try! I add a bit of sugar free Jello pudding to mine and that is pretty yummy!
  #755   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 08:16

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

So what is the verdict? I am day 2 and I'm finding it difficult. Should I give up or stick to it? Did any of you guys really lose weight?
  #756   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 09:06

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Yup, I lost 15 pounds, but put it right back on again when I started eating normal very-low-carb (<20 ECC). But don't judge by me. I'm menopausal and nothing works for me. I have to go down to around 700 calories AND less than 10 ECC a day to lose any weight at all. Obviously, this is not sustainable. I struggled terribly on the shakes phase of the plan to lose the 15 pounds. Again, I had to cut my calories to below 1000 on the shakes to lose it. I had emailed Dr. Mike to ask for ideas, and all he had to say was that it doesn't work for everyone. Great help, huh?

And please don't anyone say that I'm wrong on this or that your experience was different. I know my body and I know what happens (or, rather, what DOESN'T happen) at different levels of fat/protein/carbs.
  #757   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 09:26

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
So what is the verdict? I am day 2 and I'm finding it difficult. Should I give up or stick to it? Did any of you guys really lose weight?
I lost nothing on the shakes, and found them exceedingly difficult to sustain. I could not even last the full two weeks. I was so sick of "sweet" by then (and I've always had a major sweet tooth) so after 12 days I went to an all-meat plan. On that plan I broke a longish stall and dropped another 20 pounds, but it was not the Eades plan at all as I totally disliked all their fussy little menus in the back half of the book - and the book gives *no* guidelines on the sort of carb level you should be shooting for.

So I just went on an all meat and eggs for a while. So I can't say I really lost *anything* on the Eades plan. The only good thing I can say about it is that the shake weeks made me so totally sick of sweets that it gave me the fortitude to do the meat and eggs, which I might not have easily done otherwise.
  #758   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 16:16

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I lost 10 lbs.---7 in the first 6 weeks and another 3 over the next few weeks doing 1 shake and 1 meal. Not a huge loss, but it's very hard for me to lose.

THEN came Thanksgiving, Christmas, a month of birthdays, and that idiot Matt Stone----and 17 lbs.!!!!

I'm here fighting off depression and further weight gain while I try to get the mojo to really VLC again.

I did enjoy the shake weeks and the shakes. That's why I kept them after that part was over. 1 per day. But it doesn't help with getting rid of that sweet tooth. I can't say I'd recommend the plan.
  #759   ^
Old Tue, Apr-27-10, 17:32

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

It was great for me. I broke a major stall and lost a lot. Hated having so much sweet stuff though. I've never had a sweet tooth.

I've been trying to get back on it but I keep slipping up. I'm hungry, but that might have to do with a cortisone (steroid) shot I had last month.
  #760   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-10, 08:13

Plan: atkins variation
Stats: 147.5/138.9/118 Female medium
BF:
Progress: 29%

I just started the program and so far so good. It's helping me practice portion control which is very good. I'm looking forward to some good results!!!
  #761   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 07:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2009
I just started the program and so far so good. It's helping me practice portion control which is very good. I'm looking forward to some good results!!!

I love the program too! I've been using the info I learned from the book since Sept. This was the first holiday season that I didn't gain my usual 10 lbs. It helped me w/ portion control as well as made me more aware of the effects of pain meds, coffee, etc...
  #762   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 09:50

I started 9 days ago and the weight is coming off. Only problem is that I am starving all the time! It is 16:50 now and Ill be chewing the furniture soon.
  #763   ^
Old Wed, May-05-10, 09:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFletcher
I started 9 days ago and the weight is coming off. Only problem is that I am starving all the time! It is 16:50 now and Ill be chewing the furniture soon.

Are you adding the 2 TBLS of whipping cream to your shake? The fat from that really kept me full.
  #764   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 08:12

Yes, thanks for the tip about the cream. I've added a bit more and a raw egg. I think it helps.
  #765   ^
Old Mon, May-24-10, 18:35

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

i just heard the podcast and have a q to those that read the book (tried to google to no avail).

What should be the difference in lying down and standing up waist size. Mine (at night) was 126.5 standing and 127.5 lying. What would that mean?