Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-26-19, 09:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%
Default Who is behind precisionnutrition.com??

Honestly, I TRIED to read this with an open mind. And failed miserably. Maybe it was the rhetoric that was dig-dig-dig that set me off. I looked for an area that I would like to think I have some knowledge about and got this far.... there is more but just couldn't stomach the presentation.

https://www.precisionnutrition.com/grain-wheat-debate

Quote:
Obesity There’s been a lot of research on grains and body weight. Unfortunately, most of this research is, you guessed it, epidemiological. Regardless, these epidemiological studies are unanimous in showing that higher whole grain consumption is associated with lower body weight. Controlled trials have been less consistent in their results. In these tests, whole grains don’t consistently lead to superior fat loss — though the studies didn’t show the grains caused people to gain weight, either. To go beyond the inconclusive controlled-trial data, we can look at how real people do on grain-heavy diets. These aren’t perfect data, because there are many variables. But it can suggest possible trends and give us an idea of how grain consumption affects body weight in the real word, during real life. If grains were inherently fattening, vegetarians and vegans, as well as many eaters in less-industrialized countries (where grains like rice or sorghum are usually a staple) would likely be more overweight or obese. No literature exists showing that plant-based eaters, or those folks in regions for whom grains are a staple, have a higher incidence of overweight or obesity. In fact, the research shows just the opposite. While these correlations certainly don’t prove anything, it’s likely that if grains really did cause obesity, we would see some trends and correlations to reflect it. But here’s the crux of the issue: Buckwheat, oats, and quinoa aren’t making anyone fat. In their original form, these and other whole grains are relatively bland foods, not overly calorie-dense, not unusually delicious, high in fiber and relatively satisfying. (Remember the old commercials with the grandfatherly Wilford Brimley telling us that oats would “stick to our ribs”?) But refined grains are a different story. Whole kernel corn becomes corn syrup. Whole wheat grains become refined white flours for cookies and muffins, pizza dough or toaster pastries. Whole grain rice becomes Rice Krispies and rice noodles that we can then slather with Pad Thai sauce (potentially containing the aforementioned corn syrup). With processed foods, “carbs” are just a way to deliver hyper-palatable, “can’t-eat-just-one” enjoyment as well as calorie-dense fatty meats, cheeses, sauces, and condiments. But are the “carbs” themselves really the main problem here?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-19, 05:35

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
In these tests, whole grains don’t consistently lead to superior fat loss

Certainly not as consistently as another approach, one that greatly limits whole grain consumption--by lowering general carbohydrate consumption to the point where using up valuable carb grams on whole grains seems wasteful. And there's one way, at least that whole grains are "inflammatory," if nothing else is true--in that low carb/keto can be anti-inflammatory.

Precision Nutrition is a "nutritionist" certification program started by Dr. John Berardi, he has some real credentials and has written some decent articles for the fitness community in the past. I don't know how much he agrees with everything written by others in the organization, they're not necessarily in lock-step on every issue.

Saying the plants prevent themselves from digestion, but we don't avoid lobster because it has claws. Well, yes, because claws are a different sort of defense, plants are more dependent on chemical warfare. That doesn't mean that everything accused of being a problem on this front is generally a problem--just that this is a bad argument. Also doesn't work for me because lobster and other sea food tries to kill me everytime I eat it, not with claws but by severely constricting my airways.

The writer writes about whole grains being "satisfying." And about them not being excessively palatable. Well... in that sense I find them so satisfying that I don't want to eat them at all. None is more than enough. But seriously, to be satisfying, something has to be two things. Palatable, so we actually want to eat it, but our bodies have to respond with a sustained satiation so that we don't want to overeat it. My experience with grains is that when the first condition is present, the second isn't. There's no reason to assume this is true of everybody, although it seems to be a lot of people's experience here.

For me, I think food readiness, the effort it takes to eat it, is actually a bigger factor than palatability--although I do think palatability is an issue. I won't generally overeat meat and eggs that I have to cook to eat, if I just cook appropriate portions at a meal. If I cook more than I need, to set some aside for later meals--I'll end up over-eating. Or if I buy ready to eat foods, processed meats, cheeses. Unprocessed chicken is as bad in this regard as bacon or salami. There's how rewarding a food is, then there's how much effort is needed to eat the food. Sometimes laziness is our friend.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-19, 12:40

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
(Remember the old commercials with the grandfatherly Wilford Brimley telling us that oats would “stick to our ribs”?)

#4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-19, 17:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ROFL

Oh ,yes!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-19, 23:06

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Remember the diabetes treatment commercials he made a little further down the road? Not that I blame the oatmeal necessarily. It's a potentially harmless substance. Potential isn't always realized. Never mind the stream of consciousness stuff, it's late, I'm honestly not meaning to blame the oatmeal. Also, epidemiology and stuff. Whole grains. Yum.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-28-19, 08:33

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I remember when I was a young skinny thing (<110 lbs), and I was working as a waitress on the breakfast shift. Thinking I was being healthy, I'd eat bowls of oatmeal. Plain. Sometimes I'd put salt on them. And an hour later, I'd be starving and shaky and have to eat another bowl of oatmeal. I never understood how people said oatmeal was filling. It just made me hungry. Of course, I should have been eating the bacon, but I was trying to be healthy.