Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 10:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191.5/183.5/130
BF:
Progress: 13%
Question Any Stay-at-Home Moms with 50+ to Lose?

Hi! I'm a mother of two preschoolers (girls), ages 4 and 1-1/2. I'm home with them full-time and love it, but it has contributed to a big weight gain since my newlywed days.

Sometimes mommies that are home full-time have their own set of challenges (LCing on a tight budget, packing kid's meals w/o cheating, and just being around food all day!) Okay, probably every mom has those challenges...

Are there any other mommies with 50+ to lose that would like to e-mail each other? Sometimes you can feel isolated in this venture and it's great to have others to share with.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 22:38

Stats: 251.5/231.5/150
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile I'd like to email...

Hi!

Love your user name, I hope to be there someday!!

I, too, am a stay at home mom of two preschoolers--boys here....actually in about 2 months I will be down to one preschooler and one schooler I guess. I have Jacob age 5 and Joshua age 3 1/2.

I agree with you, SAHM's are challenged....around food all day...choices all day...not just at break time or evening.

I've been low carbing for 3 weeks this time around (lost 30 last time about 3 years ago)...so far I'm down almost 12 pounds. I'm mostly following Atkins, although not exactly but as best as I can.

I would love to get to know you and work on losing our weight together.

I am at 240 now (from 251.5) and am looking to go down 90 more.

I'm in need of support and can give some too.

sammidawnm
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-15-02, 22:41

BF:
Default My email....

Forgot to give you my email..

sammidawnm~cs.com

Drop me a note and we'll chat if you'd like.

Samantha
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 13:44

Plan: CAD
Stats: 227/226/165
BF:
Progress: 2%
Talking Stay at home mom

Hi My name is Brandy and I am a stay at home mom as well. I have one soon to start kindergarten and one that just turned 2.

My biggest problem is waking in the night and feeling like I NEED something sweet to eat. Any recommendations?

I did CAD about 4 years ago and did great with it and then gained everything plus some back I am at my all time high of 225 now and i feel like an old woman with no energy and achy bones. YUK! I am just getting started with low carb again.

How did you make a decision between CAD and Atkins?
Hope to hear from you
Brandy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 13:45

BF:
Default OOOPS!

I did it to...

Dietmom2002~yahoo.com
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 16:31

BF:
Lightbulb guacamole and sour cream...

guacamole and sour cream... Now you are talking my kinda food...if I could only find something to replace the chips and margarita I would be set. HaHa.
I went grocery shopping this afternoon and stocked up on all my meats and cheeses so I can get started. I love Bacon so I think I could eat that every morning and not get tired of it.

I also dug my scale out of the trash and put it in front of the fridge to remind me everytime I open the fridge of my goals.

How about a paperclip chain, 1 clip represents 2 pounds every 5th paperclip make a differant color it will represent 10 pounds gone. every time you lose 2 pounds remove a clip and watch the chain get shorter. I will stick that to the fridge as well.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 22:13
Registered Member

BF:

I like that paperclip idea. It's good to acknowledge each little step. I have a paper on my refrigerator that lists a specific reward for each 5 lb loss...things I like but wouldn't normally buy for myself. It gives me something to look forward to and a way to celebrate those milestones.

I haven't been to many restaurants since starting Atkins. It WOULD be tough to pass up the chips. I found something I like to snack on at home though...pork rinds. They're salty and crunchy like chips and have 0 carbs. woohoo!

It is kind of wild to shop for foods that were "off limits" before. I forgot that I really like bacon. I fry up the whole thing at once and put the crumblings in a sealed bowl in the fridge so I can quickly add them to salads and eggs.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-19-02, 09:22

BF:
Smile Brandy...

Hi Brandy!!!

There are a few of us who are in the same circumstances as you...stay at home moms doing the low carb...

We've decided to all bud up and create a Group journal...a thread of our own.

We want to support and encourage one another durning this time.

Would you please join us?

Just go to Group Journals and look for the message called "Low-carbing at home Christian moms"...I'm sure you'll enjoy gabbing with us there!!

Hope to talk to you soon!
sammidawnm (samantha)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 03:57

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Post Hello.

I have a 11 month old daughter and I am almost a stay at home mommy. I attend school parttime and it can be difficult at times. I could use further support as well as offer support to those in need. I know I am going to need ideas on how to deal with future problems as my little one gets older.

I hope you all are having a great summer.

--Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 06:04

BF:
Smile Hello Lisa!

What a nice picture!!! Good idea to include your daughter...at that age they are pretty much just a part of you...huh?

Donna (skinimini) started this thread and since then her, myself and 2 other ladies are venturing in a "Group Journal" that we invite you to join.

We all are mommies, and either stay at home currently or would like to...we invite you to join us there.

There is lots of good fellowship and support going on and even some wisdom coming from a mommy of teens!!!

Please come over to Group Journals and post and introduction of yourself under the thread entitled "Low-carbing at home Christian moms".

I look forward to getting to know you....our idea is that the more of us that gather together in the same circumstances, the easier it will be to win in this weight loss journey.

See you soon!

Samantha (sammidawnm)
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 11:53
Registered Member

BF:
Talking So glad you found us!

I see Samantha invited you to check in with the journal section. I really hope you do. We would love to have you join us there! It's great to be able to share our different struggles and encourage one another along the way.

I'm a part-time student as well. I know it can be really difficult to stay on track when you have a hectic schedule. What are you studying?

Hope to hear from you in the journal soon!

Donna
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 13:04

Plan: Keto
Stats: 410/319/260 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Wink Thanks.

Thanks for the welcome. I will post in the group journal as soon as I feel better. I have managed to catch a cold. Ugh. I have a birthday party to put on for my SO on Sunday. I have lots of housework and cooking ahead of me. I hope I can do it.

Thanks, again, and I will be seeing you soon!

--Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 17:08

Stats: 214/214/150
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Sahm mommy LC

Hi ladies. I'm Melissa and I stay at home with my 19month old son Xander in Phoenix, AZ.
I've just started Atkins and I'm still having carb cravings but I'm holding strong.
If you are making a PB & J for your child and you get PB on your finger and lick it off does it count???
It's been REALLY hot here so it's either in the pool to exercise or I can go to the gym but that takes motivation.
My husband and family are very supportive but they are all slim and love to workout so it would be really nice to talk to people that understand why you can't "just eat less".

Bye for now,
Melissa
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-24-02, 22:12
Registered Member

BF:
Talking

Hi Melissa,

I started this thread and since then several ladies are venturing in a "Group Journal" that we invite you to join.

We all are mommies, and either stay at home currently or would like to...we invite you to join us there.

Please come over to Group Journals and post an introduction of yourself under the thread entitled "Low-carbing at home Christian moms".

I look forward to getting to know you....our idea is that the more of us that gather together in the same circumstances, the easier it will be to win in this weight loss journey.

There's another girl there from Arizona, as am I. I have an 18-month-old and definitely know the temptations of licking fingers after making the kid's snacks.

It does take a while for those carb cravings to die down. Some still hold strong for me, but as you see results it will become easier. Yes, I've heard that about "eating less." Well, that's usually coming from people who never dieted in their lives, like your inlaws. Gotta love 'em.

Hope to see you soon!

Donna