Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 21:29

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Ideal way to get started...

Hi there,

This afternoon, I was spending some time with a colleague and shocked at his 3 month "before and after" pics when he was doing BFL.

I've been running regularly the past couple of years averaging about 32 miles/week. I've also been augmenting my running with a weight workout regimen, which has to date--in my view--can only be described as disappointing.

After speaking with my colleague, I've decided to give BFL a try to augment my running.

Please, any ideas how I to best go about doing that? Any insights, suggestions, and comments would be grealy appreciated.

Thx,

Frederick
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 09:48
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Hi Frederick,

Welcome to the BFL forum. I think the best place to start is with the book. It explains all aspects of the program.

Yes, it really does work. I made significant gains in the first three months. It will be a bit of a change for you. I think it focuses on weights and is augmented by cardio, kind of the opposite of what you are doing now, but you already have both those aspects in place, so I'm sure you'll be able to adjust easily.

You'll probably find yourself spending less time running. Cardio is only 20 minutes three times a week. But too much cardio can have a negative effect on muscle gain.

I see you're on Atkin's maintenance. That's good; some of us modify the BFL nutritional program to be able to continue low carbing, although many of also find it necessary to up our carb intake too. Read the stickies at the top. They are full of good information about BFL and low carbing.

Stick with us if you want to give it a try, there's a lot of helpful folk here.

Arnie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 12:38
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi Frederick! Hey Arnie!

Read the book and eat your veggies! Okay we know you won't do that... so ....

You alternate weight and cardio days. Upper Body (UBW) then a cardio day (20 minutes), the Lower Body(LBW) then cardio then Upper Body (UBW) and take the 7th day as your day off. The next week you switch up and start with LBW then Cardio then UBW then Cardio then Lower Body(LBW) then cardio then day off. So three cardio sessions per week and three weight lifting session per week.

Weightlifting: You choose two different exercise for each body part.
For example on your LBW day:
Quads:
You can choose squats and leg extensions
Squats: 12 reps--25 lbs (as you decrease reps you increase weight, you decide the weight), (REST 1 min), 10 reps--30 lbs, (REST 1 min), 8 reps--35 lbs, (REST 1 min), 6 reps-40 lbs. (REST 1 min), then go back to whatever weight you did the 8 reps with, in this example 35 lbs and do 12 reps at that weight, NO REST and move on to Leg extension and do 12 reps at 50 pounds. REST two minutes then move on to hamstrings and follow same routine for that.

LBW: quads, hamstrings, calves (approximately 42 minutes)
UBW: chest, shoulders, back, triceps, biceps (approximately 46 minutes)

For Cardio: 21 minutes
You do that at increasing levels:
start of at level 5 (a slow jog) 3 minutes
Then level 6 (increase speed intensity) 1 minute
Then level 7 ( again increasing speed/intensity) 1 minute
Then level 8 ( again increasing speed/intensity) 1 minute
Then level 9 ( again increasing speed/intensity) 1 minute
Then level 6 ( back down to where you were at level 6) 1 minute
Then level 10 (as fast/high intensity as possible) 1 minute
Then level 5 (a slow jog) 1 minute
DONE

Hope I explained it okay. Good luck!

red

Last edited by red1cutie : Mon, Jan-26-04 at 12:40.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 14:10

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi,

How long do your runs usually last? If you're a marathoner type more than a sprinter, your runs are actually fighting *against* your lifting workouts. Programs like BFL recommend limiting cardio to 20 mins per session to avoid catabolic (muscle loss) effects of longer sessions. It seems counter-intuitive, but it's true. Adding muscle the best way to permanently raise your metabolism, and shortening your cardio may help you to add muscle from your lifting.

Cheers,

Friday
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 20:21

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Hi guys,

First, my sincere thanks for the responses thus far. I appreciate all of the advice you all have so kindly offered.

Secondly, my running regimen is basically about 5 days/week. Usually, I'll run about 5 miles in the morning (35 min), then run maybe 3.5 miles later in the evenings after my weight sessions. Usually, I'll average about 35 miles per week.

Finally, running has always be much easier for me than weights. I've tried weights for the past year with very disppointing results.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna try the BFL program Red layed out in her thread. Naturally, I've yet to read the book. In you views, would my running absolutely deter my expected progress on BFL?

Thanks,

Fred
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 12:06

Plan: BFL
Stats: 167/162/167 Male 6'3
BF:13%/10.4%/10%
Progress:

Remember the intensity level on the weights also

For each body part

Quads
Excercise Reps Intensity
BarBell Squats 12 5
BarBell Squats 10 6
BarBell Squats 8 7
BarBell Squats 6 8
BarBell Squats 12 9
Leg Extension 12 10

1 = sitting on your backside watching telly
10= giving it all you can

So on your first set of 12 reps only lift a weight that gives you a 5, on your last 12 on the Leg Extension lift enough weight that you couldn't lift anymore after the 12th rep. It is not about how much you can lift/move but about reaching the correct intensity.

To get BFL worksheets for printing out click here http://www.bodyforlife.com/downloads/bfl_charts.pdf

Regards
Mike
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 17:40

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi, again,

I think the answer depends on your goals. Do you want to build muscle? Then you might want to cut out the evening run after your weight-lifting. But the time you do your weights and your run, especially if you also ran that morning, you will almost certainly be catabolic. Form your stats, it looks like fat-loss is no longer your primary goal. is this correct? Frankly, what would it hurt to give it a try? Do some lifting with good intensity 3x/week, and stick with your morning runs. Make sure you have at least one day (maybe two) of good rest and no exercise so that your body has time to recover.

Additionally, if you want to build muscle, you may need to up your carbs to the 40-plus ECC range and make sure you are getting enough protein (1g/lb of body weight is a good baseline. The hardcore lifters do more).

How long has it been since you've had a week off? Sometimes overtraining is one of the factors behind poor results. If it's been more than two months, I might even try several days of rest before you start. I am a fairly experienced lifter, but new to BFL. Definitely get the book, or perhaps one of the others that incorporate weight training (like Body Rx).

Essentially what's happening is with long runs, you are telling your body to be lighter and more aerodynamic - like a cheetah. With lifting, you are telling it to be strong, dense and muscular, like a lion. If you're telling it both at once, no wonder it's confused. Pick how you want to look (cheetah vs lion) and go for it.

Cheers,

Friday

Last edited by fridayeyes : Wed, Jan-28-04 at 17:42.