Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:44

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default How strong of an antifungal are berries?

I've been eating blueberries and raspberries on a daily basis, because I've read that they are antifungals, and just want to make sure that it's okay.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:48
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I would have to say, not very. And no, I have no scientific basis for that.

The other thing I would say is that you would have to eat a hell of a lot of berries and by the time you did that you'd be pretty ramped up in your carbs.

Coconut oil is a much better anti-fungal.

That's just an opinion.

Lisa
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 11:16
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I agree with Lisa.

I haven't seen studies that any berry exhibits significant antifungal properties.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 05:56
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Tom

Berries are permitted and very good, but they are too sweet to eat frequently on a candida diet. If you cook a cup of them with some lemon juice, and make a sort of berry sauce, you can have that on quinoa a few times per week in the morning for breakfast. Cooked reduces the sugar I think somewhat and it is permitted by my practitioner and book.

Don't overdo berries, though, since they do have a high sugar content, especially if unbalanced by that lemon juice (fresh lemon, not bottled juice!).

A few times a week is ok, white grapefruit a few times a week is also ok. No more than that while on the treatment phase though.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-23-10, 08:25

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I may have berries every day but I don't over do it. I just have about 10-15. A whole cup of raspberries contains only about 5g of sugar so I don't think 15 berries are going to be detrimental. However, I have to cut back on the hazelnuts. I've been eating way too many hazelnuts, not realizing how many carbs I've been consuming. I hate this diet!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-24-10, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Again, hazelnuts are permitted and the problem is not that they are a carb. They are a low carb and have good minerals for you, provided you buy them fresh and wash and then roast them somewhat before eating.

Obviously, the key is not to overdo any particular foods. You can also get some ideas of what a good candida diet would consist of by googling something like "Candida diet sample menu" and see what comes up. Don't go with the info on any one particular site, though, but look across sites at what they all agree on.

Here . . . this is a start. http://www.thecandidadiet.com/foodstoeat.htm

You will probably find others too.

I'll see what I can do with that recipe thread idea and in the meantime, you can also send me a private message here if you're in need of a few other ideas.