Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 20:40
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default exercise + meds making me sick?

I recently began taking glucophage and spironolactone. I dont have any blood pressure problems and its normally around 120/80.

Today I went to the gym for the first time in 3 days and the first time since I began taking the meds. After about 2 minutes (I normal do 45-90 min) I began feeling very very hot and tired, I lowered the level down a few to make it easier. After about 5 minutes I started feel even hotter, like something very hot was taking over my insides and then broke out in a cold sweat. I slowed down dramatically and finished 10 minutes before I felt like I was going to faint. I was also on an empty stomach.

I got off and I was very dizzy, and thought I was going to black out. I then had some cold water, washed my face and sat in the car with the windows open and the ac on for about 15 minutes before driving home.

I felt like what I used to when I would get hypoglycemic and I was almost about to get orange juice or something to boost my blood sugar, but it seems that wasnt it.

I waited till I got home and tested my blood sugar which was 98 (on the high side, but its nearing TOM and it always seems to go up to that range then) So obviously my blood sugar wasnt a problem.

Then I tested my blood pressure and the first 2 reads were unrealistically low, so I began to get frustrated with the machine and the final read was 90/86

The first number seems too low and the second seems too high. Should I be concerned? Its too late to call my doc now and I have an appointment in a few days anywa, so I figure I can wait till then, but I know that spironolactone can be used as a blood pressure medication, is it possible that as I was exercising my blood pressure was increasing and the medication did something to make me feel this way? Could it be a problem with the glucophage and exercise?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 21:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Then I tested my blood pressure and the first 2 reads were unrealistically low, so I began to get frustrated with the machine and the final read was 90/86

The first number seems too low and the second seems too high. Should I be concerned?

I think that depends....how are you feeling now and what is a normal blood pressure for you? While 86 isn't all that high for a diastolic pressure (the lower number), 90 could be considered low for a systolic pressure (the uppper number). For myself, I know that if my systolic pressure was that low, I'd definitely feel like I was going to pass out; my normal is 120 something over 80 something, but it's a completely normal reading for my DH....his typically runs 90/60.
Just to be on the safe side, you might want to monitor your blood pressure over the weekend and either go to the ER or call your doctor as soon as possible if the symptoms continue.