Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 07:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:have no idea
Progress: 89%
Default HUNGRIER than ever on Atkins

Hey guys, I keep reading how everyone's appetite is naturally supressed by this LC WOL... however, I honestly think my appetite has increased since being on this regime. I'm only on my 3rd day of Induction, but I've done it in the past as well, and have had the same thing happen. I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar problem/experience...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 08:53
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Let us see your menu. We can probably point out the problem.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 10:24

Plan: My own
Stats: 152/150/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 12%

in my experiance while you are first starting on introduction your body is getting use to the change in carbs you are eatting . so just hang in there .
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 10:37

Stats: 242/175/175 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 100%

I found that when I added more veggies into my diet I became less hungry.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 13:46

Here was my menu for yesterday:

Breakfast:
3 eggs, 2 oz cheese, 1 tbs salsa, decaf with 1 tbs cream

Lunch:
2 cups salad, chicken breast, 2 tbs ranch dressing

Dinner:
2 cups romaine, chicken, 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 tbs bleu cheese

Snack: 8 olives

(I know that you're only supposed to have up to 3 cups of "salad" per day during induction, but on fit day the calculations show that I can have 2 cups of salad and 2 cups of romaine lettuce and still stay within my daily 20 carbs)

So whatcha guys think?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 13:55

BF:

You can add 2 more meals. I have 3 meals plus 3 protien shakes. also you should have the extra cups of salad if you are still hungry. Fit day does not subtract the fiber count from the carbs, so you are actually having less carbs per day than you think.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 13:59

BF:

If I were you I would buy some ketosticks so you can be sure on weather or not you have your carb count on track.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 17:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 152/150/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 12%

looks like to me you are doing everything right .
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-18-04, 18:14
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

You know I think the most important thing to remember when doing this woe is that everyone is different. Although I do go through stages of not being hungry it doesnt last at least not for me. I added 2 more smaller meals as horty suggests above and that kind of made the problem worse. My body seemed to look forward to that next meal a bit to much. I hate to say it but the only way to find what works for you(what stops the hunger) is by trying all the tips on this forum for a week or so keeping track of your bodies reaction and moving on if it doesnt work. i would suggest you up your fat and water intake( you didn't say how much you're drinking) first though.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-19-04, 00:39

Red face I'm Pac Man girl

Hey guys, thanks to everyone for your input. It's truly appreciated. I am drinking AT LEAST three 24 ounces bottles of water each day. (72) ounces. I read somewhere that you should divide your weight in half, and drink that much water in ounces.. so say you weigh 100 lbs (what would that be like.. sigh) you would divide it in half, get fifty, and need to be drinking 50 ounces of water to lose weight. Did I make this up, or has anyone else heard this? Atkins says to drink 8, 8 oz glasses of water... which I'm getting per day, plus some. Also, how exactly does one go about upping their fat intake without eating a million calories? I'm just a little discouraged. It's my third day on Induction and I made the mistake of weighing myself today... I weighed more than I even thought, origionaly. But regardless, thanks guys, Boy are you wonderful! :Grin:
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 18:46
Registered Member

Stats: 260/243.5/150 Female 5ft 6in
BF:too much!
Progress: 15%

Your menu sounded ok... personally I can't even eat that much, so I don't know how you can be hungry!

Though I might suggest trying to eat more protein--that's the thing that fills you up the most and lasts the longest. Try having more meats, cheeses, etc. or maybe a few bites of an atkins bar when you're peckish, that usually helps me along.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 18:48
Registered Member

Stats: 260/243.5/150 Female 5ft 6in
BF:too much!
Progress: 15%

Oh.. whoops I forgot to say you should try drinking water when you think you're hungry, apparently most people mix up being hungry with being thirsty, so you could try that.

Also, I like to try and keep busy, when I'm busy I can't think about how I may or may not be hungry. I think it's a mental thing with me...

Another intersting tidbit: The way to define between a craving and "bored" eating is that you can't ignore the hunger feeling cravings create, but you CAN ignore true hunger... Interesting, no? I stop and ask myself if i'm really hungry, or just THINK I am now...
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 09:14

Plan: Atkins (right now)
Stats: 205/182/125 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress:

Hey Kiddo! All sounds good to me. I know how you feel. I think all the suggestions are good advice. You do need to tune into your body. To "listen" if you will to what your body is telling you. Constant hunger could be a sign of not enough protien. Also the thirst issue, Are you really hungry or is your body trying to say THIRSTY. I've read that by the time you feel thirsty you're on your way to dehydration!! That was news to me. Hang in there---we're all here to encourage and help.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 10:45
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:

I have no clue why, but I'm always hungry eating high saturated fats. Too bad, b/c I love them so much. I really feel for your problem.

As Gabrielle mentions, you may just have to fiddle with things to find what works for you. Everyone is so different.

As Tater says, the protein could be key. I've recently increased my protein intake substantially and realized that high protein makes me full. I have about 1g protein/lb.

Good luck!

Wanda