Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 132/120/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Are reduced fat triscuits okay on Phase II?

I love whole wheat crakers. Can I have any on SB?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 23:11

Plan: TKD - semi low carb
Stats: 260/238/210 Male 76
BF:??%/28%/15%
Progress: 44%

I doubt it - what are the ingredients. Fat/Carb/Fiber/Prot?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 06:21
Registered Member

Stats: 127/110/110 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I ate them but not very often (5 a day, maybe 3x week). I ate them with some hummus on them to get a balance of fat and protein. There are no trans fat in them and they are not made from refined wheat. I remember reading a thread one time that justified that triscuits are okay to eat.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 09:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 214/204/140 Female 5'2"
BF:49%/26%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Triscuits and Trans fats

Me again...Can you tell I have a pet peeve about TRANS FATS!! Triscuits are FULL of them..stay far far away from them.....see link below.....

http://www.afpafitness.com/articles/fatsecrets.htm
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 09:47
Registered Member

BF:

Maybe they changed the recipe or something. I have a box right here and here's the stats:

7 crackers
120-cal
3g-Fat
0-Sat
0-Trans
1.5-Poly
.5-Mono
21-Carb
3-Fiber
3-Protein

I looked at the ingredients and there is no hydrogenated anything so I'm thinking that they really are trans fat free. At least I hope so since I've been eating them
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 09:51
Registered Member

BF:

Wait!!!! I just read your hyperlink and 1.5 + .5 DOES NOT EQUAL 2

The ingredients are: whole wheat, soybean oil, salt, and monoglycerides.

This is so frustrating because it says right on the front no trans fats. But I guess it must have like 1 gram or something and maybe they can say 0 as long as it is slightly <1????
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 09:53
Registered Member

Stats: 250/210/160 Female 5'5"
BF:

I'm not certain where the above information came from regarding trans fats in Triscuits. There simply isn't any unless one eats the flavored triscuits.

The ingredients on the regular baked Triscuits (non-flavored stuff) is as follows:

WHOLE WHEAT, SOYBEAN OIL, SALT, MONOGLYCERIDES.

Unlike the article pointed to above, there are no hydrogenated oils in Triscuits. Now, if you get the flavored Triscuits, then yes, there are hydrogenated oils.

Oh, and what are monoglycerides? They are a fat, yes, but used in very small quantity as a preservative. For more information on what monoglycerides are/do, you can find that information here: http://www.drmirkin.com/archive/6221.html.

As long as you stick to the baked unflavored Triscuits, you should be fine as long as you eat them in moderation.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 09:55

Sorry to burst your bubble and I am a bit of a pain with this stuff I admit but I have triplet 12 yr old girls and I watch what I feed them 'cause I hate how the food industry gets away with this stuff..here is another article and I quote alittle bit from it.....

Note the amount of total fat listed and compare it to the breakdown of specific fats on the label. The results may surprise you. A box of reduced-fat Triscuits, for example, has 3 grams of fat per 7-cracker serving. Saturated fats make up 1/2 gram and monounsaturated fats 1 gram. The crackers have no polyunsaturated fats, so the remaining 1 1/2 grams must be the only other kind of dietary fat -- trans fat.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c.../30/FD40307.DTL
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 10:08
Registered Member

BF:

Okay, let's get to the bottom of this

My box does say 1.5g of polyunsaturated.
It also says .5g monosaturated.
Saturated is listed as 0 but yet the front says "low" saturated fat so I'm thinking there must be some.

Total fat is listed as 3g.

By the ingredient list, where do the trans fats come from??

It seems like such a small thing to be so focused on but it really does bother me if something says no trans fats right on the front of the box and yet it still contains some.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 10:21

I promise I will stop after this post...

The reason this is all so confusing is because food manufacturers do not HAVE volunteer all the fat info..... !!

A few years ago, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) required food companies to label nutritional facts more comprehensively, a labeling that featured the percentage of the daily value of carbohydrates, protein, fats, sodium, and certain vitamins as well as the standard amount per serving in grams.
Heralded as a breakthrough in nutritional awareness, the labeling change gives the consumer much necessary information--except when it comes to fats.

Although some companies give information on monounsaturated fat (the "good" type) and polyunsaturated fat (the "neutral" type) voluntarily, only total fat and saturated fat (the "bad" fat) must appear on the label. What do they all leave out? The fourth type of fat, trans fat.

So just becuase it doesn't say there is no hydrogenated oil in there doesn't mean it isn't there...scary....

That is why so many groups are fighting for changes to food labeling.....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 10:48

Hi Nathania, I just wanted to say that I have read up on this subject many times in the past and end up sometimes more confused than ever! You would think if a company says NO TRANSFAT on label there can't be! And maybe there isn't...
but something just doesn't seem to add up.....I am no expert on this and I get a headache just thinkin' about it....there are some people who really know a lot more about this subject than me on the Atkins board.....

I just play it safe and stay away from all those packaged foods as much as I can and stick to whole foods...my veggies, fruits, whole wheat bread, meat, chicken, eggs, cheese etc......

take care

Last edited by maggieb : Thu, Jul-01-04 at 11:06.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 12:00
Registered Member

Stats: 250/210/160 Female 5'5"
BF:

Well, I suppose in January 2006 we will know the answer to this one for certain. It is then that all food manufacturers must list the amount of trans fats on their labels.

Until then, I refuse to be overly concerned with the less than 1 gram (very possibly, still unproven) trans fats that I might be eating from the 4 triscuits that I have once a week.

Perhaps I should write to Naisco and find out the truth??
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 13:36
Registered Member

BF:

Interesting subject though. Hidden non labeled fats. Gives me something to think about.

Take care
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-28-17, 17:51

Stats: 205/190/150 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress:

To clear up this topic: Triscuits that indicate 0g of trans fat and that do not indicate any ingredients are "partially hydrogenated" should be allowed in phase 2.

The South Beach books confirm that checking the ingredients list is the best way to check for trans fats.

The FDA's own statement on this is:

"Even if a food claims on its packaging to have "0 grams trans fat," it's a good idea to look at the ingredients list on the label, says Honigfort. Under current regulations, companies can make that claim if the food contains less than 0.5 grams of trans fat per serving. But if there is partially hydrogenated oil listed among the ingredients, the product will contain a small amount of trans fat. Selecting foods with even small amounts of trans fat can add up to a significant intake."

Source: https://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/Co...s/ucm372915.htm

So, in the example mentioned earlier in this thread, if the ingredients list is:

Whereas, as previously mentioned, the flavored kind contain trans fats.

Compare the flavored kind of Fooducate:
http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=8337695E-E10B-11DF-A102-FEFD45A4D471

...to the non-flavored kind:
http://www.fooducate.com/app#!page=product&id=77C99984-9F50-11E1-882E-1231381BE564

Fooducate flags the flavored kind as "Contains trans-fats! Even if label says 0!"