Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 07:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Naiman's Explanation of Why he built this website To be "diet agnostic"and for whom(doctors).
Quote:
I built a new website designed to be handed out by medical practitioners who encounter patients with metabolic syndrome—this is diet-agnostic and can be recommended by anyone to anyone without being excessively ‘low carb’, ‘low fat’, or any diet religion:
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, May-31-20, 20:14

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Yes! Thanks for posting, I love when the thread comes to life.

Here is the new website (there are others, which I'll include). He is taking some flack about the name "Low Energy Diet" which is meant to mean to target protein and reduce the "energy" foods, which are both carbs and fat.

https://www.lowenergydiet.com/

Protein to energy ratio calculator:

https://ptoer.com/

The book:

http://www.thepediet.com/

Original website:

https://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/

He also has a YouTube channel, Instagram page, and is very active on Twitter.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-20, 03:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
I agree. My approach is to follow the "expert" whose message resonates with me and makes the most sense to me. Individual trial and error is what it comes down to.
Yes, and not every expert is out there touting the same message the same way, and that's good, because each version will only make sense for some people. The general theme is, "industrial food started killing us slowly over 100 years ago and we need to start taking it seriously" but not everyone is seeking the same solutions, or capable of understanding every aspect of the health science, or simply don't care.

I think of it as how I flunked out of calculus the first time I took it, but I aced it in summer school and got an A. There was nothing wrong with my first teacher or how he taught it. I just didn't get it. I needed to hear it a different way.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-20, 05:22

I haven’t followed any discussion about the name, but my first thought was it's a stupid name.
As in, you will have Low Energy if you eat these foods.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-20, 09:33

BF:

Yeah, everyone is jumping on him about that. He is the WORST salesperson ever, and it kind of adds to his charm, LOL.

I'm not even sure he put his name anywhere on the new website!

I think he wants people to really think eating protein and keeping carbs and fat (energy foods) in check. Not a great way to put it, though.

I swear, I was SO SHOCKED when he put out his book and titled it P:E. Like, that isn't catchy. I thought his book, if he ever, ever got around to it, after all these years of having a website called this, would be called BURN FAT NOT SUGAR. But, he didn't call it that! LOL.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-20, 10:00

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I haven’t followed any discussion about the name, but my first thought was it's a stupid name.
As in, you will have Low Energy if you eat these foods.
Definitely not a catchy title. The Doctors Eades, way back in 1997, also stressed getting enough protein in their eating plan. That’s why they called their book Protein Power. A far better title if protein is your emphasis!
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-20, 16:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
Yeah, everyone is jumping on him about that. He is the WORST salesperson ever, and it kind of adds to his charm, LOL.

I'm not even sure he put his name anywhere on the new website!

I think he wants people to really think eating protein and keeping carbs and fat (energy foods) in check. Not a great way to put it, though.

I swear, I was SO SHOCKED when he put out his book and titled it P:E. Like, that isn't catchy. I thought his book, if he ever, ever got around to it, after all these years of having a website called this, would be called BURN FAT NOT SUGAR. But, he didn't call it that! LOL.

Since we are going to pile on him for his pathetic marketing, P:E means Price : Earnings Ratio to me and anyone with a basic interest in the stock market. Total confusion when I first saw it on a meme.
Burn fat, Not sugar is good because as you say it has been the name of his website. Or Better, as Deborah suggests the word protein should probably be in the title somewhere!

But definitely low energy and P:E are two of the worst titles! Maybe that he now has a real book publisher they will require a title change ... it would certainly help understanding what the book is all about.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-20, 22:58

BF:

Too bad Protein Power is already taken!

If you've seen his Twitter account, it also doesn't say Dr. or MD. It would lend some credibility if he would use his credentials.

It's kind of endearing.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-20, 05:08

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

The low energy title and the fact that the diet was all about protein brought back memories of seeing this eccentric in London back in the 60s

Wiki article
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-20, 10:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Since we are going to pile on him for his pathetic marketing, P:E means Price : Earnings Ratio to me and anyone with a basic interest in the stock market. Total confusion when I first saw it on a meme.
Yeah, as a college Finance major that's what it means to me too. Certainly if I accidentally stumbled upon him online I don't think I would give me a passing glance, and yet the Eades' Protein Power was my Bible for many years.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-20, 09:35

BF:

Ah, well, today is all about social media. He is popular on Twitter and Instagram.

And lately, it looks like he is going to hit YouTube, which I love. There is a new video on his channel. I love it. Especially the snoring dog

Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/tednaiman
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-20, 00:08

BF:

Haha, well I do have a twitter account which I log onto about twice a year for 5 minutes just to keep the account active in case I want to use it, but so far never have. I’ve never used Instagram either though I did recently create an account there “just in case”. I hate watching videos so never follow anyone’s YouTube channels. I spent way more time on Facebook than is probably good for me though. 😂
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 23:45

BF:

For anyone who likes to geek out on the science, this is a pretty good lecture about how protein operates in a low carbohydrate diet:

By Dr. (professor) Ben Bikman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3fO5aTD6JU
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 23:46

BF:

In the video above, it gets interesting at about 7:40.

Dr. Bikman (professor) explains:

The insulinogenic effect of protein is heavily influenced by underlying glycemic status. He shows that the body will make an adjustment, as in, if in a fasted state, then ingesting protein, the insulin does not respond, glycogen does. This is because in the study (dogs, which digestive tracts are most similar to humans), the dogs would faint if there were a substantial insulin response. The body does not do this because we can't afford to inhibit gluconeogenesis.

So, moving on to humans, around 11:37.

In a low carb environment, there is a **smaller** insulin effect of protein, where there isn't a steady stream of carbohydrates spilling into the system. (On the side, he covers how a low carb diet gives you several benefits of fasting without having to fast).

Don't miss 20:07 where he shows when a person on a low carb diet eats protein, the insulin to glucagon ratio does not change! If you are eating the standard american diet, though, the protein compounds teh effect of eating carbohydrates.

We can't afford to have protein give us a big insulin effect when we are eating low carb. The body controls this, otherwise, we would become hypoglycemic.

Gluconeogensis is basically the liver creating glucose, which is necessary on a low carb diet.

Then he goes on to explain why he does not think eating fat in lieu of eating protein for the sake of ketogenesis is the best course of action.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jun-24-20, 23:47

BF:

Dr. Bikman continued:

30:00 Protein + fat + carnatine are the components needed for ketogenesis.

Red meat is an excellent source of these components.

If starting from diabetes/prediabetes, it may be justification of being a little wary of protein at first. He suggests progressing, while still keeping carbs low, to higher protein lower fat model. [NOTE THAT THIS DOES NOT ALIGN W/DR. NAIMAN, WHO SAYS DIABETIC PEOPLE BURN THROUGH EVEN MORE PROTEIN THAN PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT DIABETIC).

He recommends 1 - 2 grams per kilogram body weight to maintain lean body mass. He feels that our love for fat sometimes prevents us from getting this.

Our need for protein goes up as we age. Mentions Dr. Stuart Phillips work - the older we get, the less we are able to convert ingested protein to muscle and worries that we are sometimes not getting it.

He closes with the importance of prioritizing protein.

= = = =

Great talk!

Dr. Bikman runs a lab focused on metabolic diseases at BYU (Brigham Young University). He is a big low carb fan, of course. He has an interest in the process of adipose tissue secreting inflammatory cytokines and inducing insulin resistance.

(That reminds me - I started listening to Dr. Bikman when I realized that Dr. Naiman's statements about obesity causing insulin resistance (not carbohydrates specifically, but carbs and fat together causing obesity which causes insulin resistance).

I love Dr. Bikman. He is really interesting and passionate about what he is talking about. I've heard him talk about his job is training doctors. You have to love that.