Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 11:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%
Default You can't cheat....trust me on this...

Hi all,
I've been low carbing for about 4 or more years...I was doing great...
I've been to weddings, parties, every kind of social event...I've been tempted with every kind of food...but I NEVER GAVE IN...it's not worth it in the long run...

But that was until October 2006.

I was at work...someone brought in a Key Lime Pie...I thought..."just one piece won't hurt"...

Keep in mind...NOT ONE BITE OF SUGAR, BREAD OR ANY STARCH FOR over 3 years at this point....

The next thing I know, I'm face down in a pile of spaghetti, hugging a loaf of garlic bread, and gained every bit of my 50 lbs back!

Flash forward a year later...I'm back on the wagon..and I realize one thing...I cannot cheat...I can't just "have a bite of something"....my personality won't let it...

If this story helps someone stay on track...then I'm glad....

Don't do what I've done...

bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 12:51

Plan: LC w/o "counting" carbs.
Stats: 320/259/185 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

It's true. Don't cheat. It's like giving an alcoholic a shot of whiskey...

At Thanksgiving, my mom tried to shove a forkful of pumpkin pie in my mouth to the point where she smashed it against my lips with me shaking my head "no."
I was so angry...she just doesn't "get it"...PLUS she's a diabetic...she should know better!
That one bite of pie could have wrecked everything.

Don't cheat!! It's NOT worth it!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-21-07, 19:03

Stats: 230/210/160 Female 5 ft  7 in
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default I see it a bit differently ...

I think "cheating" is subjective really. The results may depend on the individual person, so it's important to know oneself. Whenever I do cheat, I must confess that I enjoy it as a treat. I don't beat myself up over it much, because afterwards I miss being in ketosis so it's fairly easy for me to get back on track. True, I think I'm losing slowly, but thankfully I haven't gained anything either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning "cheating" carte blanche ... it just may not work for some.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 14:27

Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Well, it doesn't work for me

It's now 2009 and I'm almost 300 lbs...from 200.

Today is the new start....hopefully it will be successful...

I now know I cannot cheat.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 08:21

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

I realized this too, after trying to eat a more "balanced" menu. First I felt horrible. Yes I gained a whole whoppin 4 pounds ~ but what was worse was the mental garbage I did to myself, and of course the feelings of pain in my tummy and head. I can't just "cheat"... at least not now. Probably never. I lose complete control and go on a major binge. OUCH!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 09:27

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

I hate to read (and don't anymore) about people "planning a cheat"

if you want to eat , eat! choose a diet that suits you not the other way around.

funny thing is there are more threads on this subject, the "planning or planned cheat" or "do you plan to have a cheat day?" or I want to have a cheat day

CHEAT CLICKY HERE this word is not all that nice to use when you are trying to improve your self esteem that is for sure!

it is not a nice thing to "cheat" and if you do you know what the result will be, not much different than cheating on a spouse or cheating on a test.

I just think it is important to make a diet suit you not you suiting it. If you do eat something that is going to make you fat or sick or whatever. Well ok life and learn.

rant ended I will say no more
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-09, 10:54

Stats: 328/263/140 Female 162
BF:
Progress: 35%

Hey, you have to remember, you are only human. These things happen, and I know for me, I found back in 2004, when this happened to me after a successful year, it was because I have not been following the ladder properly- I was still at pretty low induction levels. This time round, I am on induction levels, but adding things in a bit quicker...might result in slower weight loss, but this is a lifestyle, not a quick fix ..something it has taken me a really long time to understand...(yup, my skull is a bit thick