Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#766   ^
Old Tue, May-25-10, 08:53

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

It's no the circumference which matters it's how thick it is back to front. If there is not much difference you have a lot of internal (viceral) fat, if there is a big difference your fat is mostly under the skin ands is not so bad. I did this diet for 4 weeks and failed to lose in a spectacular fashion.
Sponsored Links
  #767   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 06:20
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing/Dukan
Stats: 192/166/160 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne!
i just heard the podcast and have a q to those that read the book (tried to google to no avail).

What podcast?

Also, I don't know who's still reading this, but you can get custom protein powders from these people: trueprotein.com

You choose *everything*.
  #768   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 12:17

Plan: Atkins OWL Rung 4/ IF
Stats: 135/125/115 Female 5'4
BF:19% (approx)
Progress: 50%

Hi astro- it was an old "Livin la Vida Low Carb" podcast. I'm not doing the diet, I was just interested in the measure of visceral vs subcutaneous fat. But it looks like many people got great results. Are you still doing it?
  #769   ^
Old Wed, Jun-16-10, 19:13

Plan: The Stress Eating Cure
Stats: 239.2/225/160 Female 5'6"
BF:48%/45%/33%
Progress: 18%
Default Enova oil discontinued?

I just Googled Enova oil and the manufacturer's website says it's discontinued?!? When did this happen? Can you still find it on the supermarket shelves?
  #770   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-10, 06:38

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Dr. Mike wrote about it here: http://proteinpower.com/6weekcure/?p=17

But, it's still available at my grocery store. I was actually kind of surprised it wasn't pulled off the shelves.
  #771   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-10, 21:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/185/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 74%

I've been doing this since Wed, and as of this AM down 4 pounds. Officially the lowest weight now of my adult life. Crazy.
  #772   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 08:35

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma
I've been doing this since Wed, and as of this AM down 4 pounds. Officially the lowest weight now of my adult life. Crazy.

Good job!! I learned a lot from this book and it is really helping me maintain that lower weight! Keep up the great work!!
  #773   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: My own thing/Dukan
Stats: 192/166/160 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

I have eventually come around to the idea that protein powders have their place. It's just *really* hard to actually do a high-protein diet of clean, lean sources without it. Formerly, I thought they were just totally stupid since they seem like an artificial food to me.

I do prefer Lyle McDonald's version of the Protein Sparing Modified Fast (his Rapid Fat Loss Handbook) to the Eades, as much as I like them and their writing and ideas.

The problem is that I actually need to reduce fat to have a high-protein diet be effective for maintenance or weight loss.
  #774   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-10, 14:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrogirl
I have eventually come around to the idea that protein powders have their place. It's just *really* hard to actually do a high-protein diet of clean, lean sources without it. Formerly, I thought they were just totally stupid since they seem like an artificial food to me.

I do prefer Lyle McDonald's version of the Protein Sparing Modified Fast (his Rapid Fat Loss Handbook) to the Eades, as much as I like them and their writing and ideas.

The problem is that I actually need to reduce fat to have a high-protein diet be effective for maintenance or weight loss.

Thanks for sharing that info. I'm finding that in order to maintain my weight loss, I have to keep it to one meal a day. I pack that meal w/ protein, fat and veggies and then I'm good until my next day of eating. If I am hungry or just want a snack, I make a yummy protein shake and that feels like a treat to me. I'm really surprised that I am not sick of the shakes, maybe it's because I "shake" it up a bit by tossing in some berries once in a while. I also thicken them w/ a tbls of dry sugar free pudding mix. It's working and for that I am sooooo thankful! I thought I was doomed to those extra pounds forever!
  #775   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-10, 20:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy
Good job!! I learned a lot from this book and it is really helping me maintain that lower weight! Keep up the great work!!

Thank you! The last 2 days were sad scale wise.. I went back up two pounds. I dunno why. I'm eating according to the book but maybe too much meat at night is causiing it. OR I made the wild berry shakes the past 2 mornings.. added berries per the recipe. Too many carbs? Who knows. Hopefully it doesn't stay there lol. I was pretty stoked to see 185 RIGHT THERE but then it slipped away.
  #776   ^
Old Wed, Jul-14-10, 15:20

BF:

well, since last wed I lost four pounds, gained 2 back (I cut the berries from the shakes, dunno if that's what did it or not), but then lost three... so for 1st week a total of 5 pounds lost. I've also lost 1.5 " in the waist and almost an inch in the hips.

We'll see how the next week goes!
  #777   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 08:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharma
well, since last wed I lost four pounds, gained 2 back (I cut the berries from the shakes, dunno if that's what did it or not), but then lost three... so for 1st week a total of 5 pounds lost. I've also lost 1.5 " in the waist and almost an inch in the hips.

We'll see how the next week goes!

Good job!!
  #778   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 05:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Just a warning about magnesium: for me, it was not beneficial.

You know that reaction when you eat a few too many sugar free gumdrops?

Now imagine a gum drop eight feet high...

So proceed with caution.
  #779   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 08:44
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

How much did you take? I have to take about 1,500-2,000 mg of magnesium oxide to have a laxative effect. I normally take about 450 mg a day of the sort that's absorbed better (magnesium malatate).
  #780   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 11:32

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I take magnesium citramate because it was recommended by Dr. Mike (ok, so I'm easily swayed). I used to take 1 capsule (150 mg) in the morning and 2 at night. Kept me regular and I felt file. Lately I have to take just 1 per day as I get very "loose" if I take more.

Hey, Black. I have another question for you. Lately I can't seem to get to sleep until midnight or later. I get up between 4:00 and 5:00, so I'm usually in bed by 8:30. I used to fall asleep fairly quickly, but not anymore. Maybe I don't need as much sleep while doing IF, but geez, I need more than 4 or 5 hours a night!

Anyone else experience difficulty sleeping with IF? Or maybe find that you don't need as much sleep when doing IF?