Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-14, 18:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/280/150 Female 5 ft  3 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Hello from the frozen north

Hi, this is my first time posting, so I hope I'm doing this correctly.
I really need a lot of help. I believe I am sensitive to wheat, dairy & yeast products. I have a lot of swelling in my feet, & legs & tummy. I cannot fit into any of my shoes because of the swelling, and my knees are not good. I am five foot 3 1/2 and close to 280 pounds. I started the low carb program yesterday and refered to the books, Atkins & Wheat Belly. Yesterday I did very good and felt somewhat better this morning. Tonight for dinner I made cauliflower soup using a recipe from the Wheat Belly Cook Book. It called for half and half, so I followed the recipe. My feet have swelled up to where the skin is tight and very uncomfortable. My legs are no better. I'm getting close to 80 yrs old, and would like to be able to enjoy the golden years without all this discomfort. I have been a carb addict all my life without a lot of problems except gaining some weight. I was never over 150 pounds, but in these last years, weight has caught up to me, and portion controll was out of wack. Last summer I ate very little wheat products. I mostly ate veggies and lean meat, as I enjoy being outdoors in my garden and flowers. The swelling went down in my feet and legs and I was able to wear shoes. Now that I am stuck in the house due to the weather, all I have been doing is cooking for my hubby and myself and eating, eating all the wrong foods. So my dear Forum friends, can you help this foolish old lady use food for fuel, and have the strength to eat wisely instead of the foolish path that I have been down.
Thank you, and I can't wait to hear from you.
Miss Jean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 05:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome, Jean,
Your first post is good and we are happy to help. Have you been reading through all the different forums? The Newbie Question forum has two ”stickies", posts fixed at the top, with many tips to help you through the first days of transitioning to being a fat-burner. It is helpful that you have been eating somewhat low carb already and may breeze through. The Atkins forum has the Induction food rules at the top of it from the 2002 edition, note there are some limits on dairy products if you plan to follow that. The recipe forums have induction recipes indexed. So Much good information here to help you succeed improving your health.
Have you seen a doctor about the swelling to determine if it is common edema or another cause. Could it be related to a medication that might have an alternative? I don't want an answer, just know that there are many causes for swelling and assume you have had checked them by now.
All the Best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Feb-06-14 at 05:30.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 06:04

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi Miss Jean. Hope you enjoy your stay with us and find all the information you need to help you on your quest.
Starting a journal is a great way to find answers to simple questions and also meet the nice people here.
Good Luck.....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 12:47

Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

Nice to meet you Miss Jean. I look forward to this journey with you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 14:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 264/257/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Is it EVER!!!
Progress: 7%

Hi Miss Jean, welcome! It sounds like you may have a problem with dairy. Have you tried to eliminate it to see if that helps? I have to commend you for making these changes, 80 years of habit to retrain! Hoping the best for you!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 15:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi Leanna 14, Thank you for replying to my plea for help. Yes, I have considered a problem with dairy, and I am taking it out of my diet for awhile and see if that helps. I definitely have gluten intolerance. When I was younger, I ate whatever I wanted and had great health. Now in my golden years my system won't tolerate certain foods. My doctor said I have leaky gut syndrom. Have you ever heard of that? I dropped 3 pounds, and that sure brightened my day.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 16:36

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Welcome, Miss Jean! yes, I've heard of leaky gut, and I think you are on the right track with eliminating wheat and dairy! By the way, I want to tell you I'm quite inspired by your efforts to improve your quality of life. I've had moments of thinking "heck, I'm already 47, don't have much life left in me - why even bother trying?" I sure hope that doesn't sound like I'm calling you old ;-)
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 18:17

Miss Jean, you're welcome. I am caregiver for my Mom. She is 87. Some of the things I have learned with her are that dairy and wheat definitely affect her. She cannot tolerate dairy, it gives her the "runs", and wheat makes her arthritis worse.

Protein Power Life Plan by Michael and Mary Dan Eades has a very comprehensive chapter about the leaky gut syndrome. Maybe you could get it from your library and read up about it?

Oh, by the way, you are NOT a foolish old lady! You are a wise, mature woman that happened to fall for the sugar/flour trap!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 18:26

Here is a web site that explains leaky gut pretty well.

http://scdlifestyle.com/2010/03/the...y-gut-syndrome/
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-14, 20:32
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

To All You Wonderful Ladies, JEY100 Janet, Teresaw, LorelaiS, Leanna14, & 2thinchix, thank you for your advise & support. I really appreciate it and am extremely pleased to chat with you. I see by your post, that some of your are making remarkable progress in shedding those pounds, and some of you are new like me, just starting in our quest to be healthier and much, much lighter. I'm going to ck out the web site about leaky gut syndrome. Does anyone else have that problem.
I do want to ask if anyone has used King Arthur multi-purpose gluten free flour. If so, what do you think of it? I'm trying to move more, and exercise. I have a Nintendo Wii Sports Resort game. Tomorrow I am going to do some bowling and tennis. It's really good exercise for everyone. If you don't have one, go ahead and spoil yourself and get one. Heck, you can exercise in your pj's, and no one can see you. Bless you all.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 03:30

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

Well, Miss jean, you're making ME feel old! You are a go-getter.

#12   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 03:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You are very welcome, Miss Jean. Good for you taking on those "sports". For more indoor fun, look around YouTube or exercise sites like SparkPeople. The coach on that one has good, safe introduction videos to various exercise routines like Pilates or yoga, even a chair cardio set. http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/videos.asp

Our Y offers Yin Yoga, which is relaxing, more like stretching, no power moves, technique but then I found a video on YouTube with better explanations of how to do the poses...amazing the wonderful free advice on the internet

I don't use any commercial gluten-free flours. Most are made with rice, potato or tapioca starch (King Arthur uses all three!) ...which makes blood sugar rise even higher than wheat flour. To make bread-like substitutes I use flax meal or almond flour. Recommend you read that section of Dr. Davis's book WheatBelly, and he has loads of information and recipes on his website. All the info about problems with gluten-free subs is also in the front of his cookbook you have. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...e-<br /> good/.

His cauliflower soup would likely taste just as good with full-fat canned coconut milk. Try to do thirty days will no wheat or dairy, then check your tolerance.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-07-14 at 07:51.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 05:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Miss Jean. I don't know what part of the frozen North you're in, but commiserations. This is the lousiest winter I remember since '95.

For the reasons Janet stated, I avoid gluten-free baking substitutes, also. I use almond flour, coconut flour, flax, and I like making flourless peanut butter cookies with a bit of granular Splenda and dark chocolate chunks when I feel like a treat. Tofu shiritaki noodles are my low-carb pasta staple.

Good for you for not thinking it's "too late" to get yourself healthy. My dad is 70 going on 40 and his new girlfriend has him eating much better. They're quite active, also. Now if only we could get him to go gluten-free for his autoimmune disease.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 12:16

Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi Miss Jean. I don't know what part of the frozen North you're in, but commiserations. This is the lousiest winter I remember since '95.

Central Alberta here. -40 every day this week, and more snow that I've EVER seen. yuck! Bad time to lose a layer of fat ;-)
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 18:06
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hello Ladies,
I'm in northern Michigan. It has been - 6 below today and going down to around -15 to -20 below tonight. We live in an area that is remote. We don't have a Y or anthing like that. I must do selective exercise, as I've had replacement in both knees and I cannot kneel. Once down, it is very difficult to get up again. I can't get out to the car to go anywhere as the ground is too slippery, frozen and lumpy. My husband and grandson made a path about 1 1/2 feet wide, but it is too dangerous for me to walk on it. My hubby puts ice melt and salt on it, but it won't melt as it's too cold. My hubby of 56 years does the grocery shopping and gets anything else we need from town. He is pretty frisky for his age.
Janet & Kristine, I did read that article by Dr.Davis's in his book "Wheat Belly". I just didn't know what product King Arthur used to make Gluten Free Flour, as I had taken the flour out of the box & tossed the box away, and I put the flour in a glass air tight jar. Know I know, and I won't use it again. I think my daughter has the book Protein Power and also The South Beach Diet. I'll borrow her books and get a little more educated. Kristine, how wonderful for your father to have someone who is helping him eat healthy and he is staying active.
Janet, I'm going to give it a try and make the cauliflower soup using coconut milk. That is an interesting combination. LOL.

Teresaw, are you posting from Italy? If you are Italian, you know what carb addiction is. *smile*. I made spaghetti today for my hubby, and it was so hard for me not to eat a bowl or two, but I did refrain, and only took about a teaspoon of it. I just had to have a little bite.

I found the strength to resist, because of all you wonderful ladies. I couldn't wait to get on this gadget and see your messages and post a reply to you.
Every day I will get a little stronger, and I'll do it this time.
We will all do it together!!