Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 03:45

Plan: Curves starting 13/4/04
Stats: 157/142/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default gluten flour in the lo-carb bread recipe

Hi there, please can you tell me whether gluten flour is gluten free flour?

I cannot find gluten flour in the shops here but they do sell gluten free, so I am wondering whether they are one and the same....!

and the cream mentioned in the recipe is it double cream or whipping cream or single cream....? sorry for these questions but I am dying to make the bread - just to taste bread again......sigh!

Please help
Thanks
Fine
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-02, 12:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Gluten free flour is the opposite of gluten flour. Have you checked in a natural foods store for gluten flour?

Gluten is the protein in wheat, so the more protein, the fewer carbs.

The cream refered to is whipping cream.

Be very careful with LC substitutes for high carb foods. The can set you on the path to ruin as quickly as high carb foods. Most people experience cravings for bread, pasta, sweets, etc. shortly after starting LC.

razzle has explained it brilliantly here:

"The other issue to consider is about long term troublesome behavior and trying to examine then end habits that got us into trouble in the first place. If wanting a sweet after every meal is what got me fat, why would it pay me to keep that habit in place? Either I'll be eating sugar--carcinogenic, addictive, fat-producing--or artificial sweeteners--which cause two of the same three problems. If my whole life before LC revolved around acquiring "goodies," what's the difference in my new life still revolves around that? (okay, I'm in a smaller dress size, but in the final analysis, that doesn't change much.) What happens to me when I'm 'dying for' a dessert and s-f jello isn't around, only real chocolate chip cookies?

For me, I've decided it's crucial to be free of the food addictions, the compulsive eating, the old bad habits that--with very little inattention--will lead me back up to a size 20+, doubtless send me over the edge into diabetes, put me back that awful state of chronic exhaustion, keep me fixated on food, and so on. Each of us has to work through this issue for ourselves."

Forewarned is forearmed!

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-02, 02:48

BF:

Thanks yet again Karen, what you have said makes perfect sense.
I have asked around the health shops for this gluten flour but to no avail. Never mind, I have made the protein bread in the atkins new rev diet book and it came out somewhat like - not like bread - tee hee, more of a souffle albeit a heavy one, but I shall persevere till I perfect the recipe.

Thanks again
Karen for your valuable support

take care
Fi
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-02, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

dear Fine,
have you asked in the UK Support Forum? Local LowCarbing :: UK

Possibly some of your fellow UKers have done some of this hunting for you, if you still want what is also known as Vital Wheat or Vital Wheat Gluten or Vital Gluten or High Gluten flour. The trick is to check the ingredients or Nutrition info when you find a flour that might be the one you're looking for, and ENSURE it's 70-80% protein, then you've got the right one.

Good luck to you.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 13:16

BF:

Thank you Judi, I shall look and find and I must admit I never thought about asking the UK LC'ers what they do ...
I will though, try not too hard as bread is not really ok but thank you

Fi