Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, May-02-14, 08:25

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Also Paleo is a whole "Lifestyle". http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-p.../#axzz30M2yyKLY

It is not just a "Diet" so the Lifestyle aspect can bring out the "Paleo Perfectionists".

Jey, thanks again for these useful articles you link for us. I'm not a paleo perfectionst (butter and wine...butter and wine) but I do follow everything he talks about in that article.

However, he called the Daily Mail the most prestigious publication in the history of the world. Presumably the U.K.'s Daily Mail? I would love to hear what members on the other side of the pond have to say about that because it certainly didn't used to be when I lived there. It was a tabloid, with a seriousness level somewhere in the middle between The Sun and The Times (for U.S. members that would be somewhere between the National Enquirer and the NY Times). Anyway, using such an exaggerated claim to prove a point just made me wonder about any other sources he has ever cited, which is a pity. Maybe he was joking, but if you don't know the paper you wouldn't get the joke and he would be aware of that.

I hope Brits will tell me the Daily Mail is indeed that prestigious now and I can go back to enjoying Mark's Daily Apple again. Sorry if this is off-topic.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, May-02-14, 09:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 00
BF:
Progress:

I'm not British, but as an avid AbFab fan, I know that the Daily Mail is a sensationalistic rag (e.g., the ep when Patsy has her facelift).

Also I've noticed from following news on British celebs that there's a tendency for it to make very snide and seemingly euphemistic comments about women's size and weight.

Must be an error on MDA, wonder what he meant.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, May-02-14, 09:13

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
He says: Like most of my friends, I don’t get out in the sun much — I prefer being in the shade.
When I am in direct sunlight, I usually wear three-quarter-length shorts and a T-shirt.
My mum worries that I’m low in vitamin D — my nine-year-old brother, Harvey, is deficient, which has caused him problems with tooth decay.

However we feel about the prestige of the Daily Mail, I like that this bit about tooth decay and vitamin d made it into the mainstream press.

I guess prestige depends, too. It's possible that it's well respected, even if not deservedly so. I sort of doubt that Mark Sisson would give anything credence just on the Daily Mail's say-so.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, May-02-14, 09:33

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP 1975
And I would add "diehard low carbers" into this mix. While it doesn't address your specific questions, I think the fact that people do get rabid about their nutritional beliefs contributes to the bias against other ways of eating.

I've seen on this very board references like (paraphrasing) "Atkins is the only way to eat", "Low carbing is the only way to truly be healthy" and discussions in the Research/Media subforum where the LC bias is well and truly evident, in that study methodology is picked apart in great detail when a study doesn't support a low carb construct...but the response to a supportive study is often...well, yeah, we knew that...without as much discussion given to potential methodological issues.

THIS. I read pretty far and wide and the consensus seems to be that low carb is best for people with a lot of weight to lose, not so much for people that don't have a lot to lose. Men also do a lot better with low carb (actually, any weight loss plan) than women. When I tried zero or very low carb I felt like garbage and it wasn't "carb flu." I don't think "carb flu" lasts for months as it did with me. I've seen posters on this board complain about the same things I dealt with only to be told to cut their carbs more or that it "goes away eventually." Life's too short to feel like crap.

I hang around MDA's forums occasionally and the closest I've seen to a dissing of low carb was a thread that mocked bulletproof coffee. I've seen more low carbers dissing paleo/primal and the latest fad, resistant starch. How I eat can be described as "primal" but I prefer calling it "whole foods" because sorry, there's no way you can eat like the proverbial Grok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
I hope Brits will tell me the Daily Mail is indeed that prestigious now and I can go back to enjoying Mark's Daily Apple again. Sorry if this is off-topic.

Mark's comment is what is known as "epic trolling." It's not called the Daily Fail for nothing.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, May-02-14, 10:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
However, he called the Daily Mail the most prestigious publication in the history of the world. Presumably the U.K.'s Daily Mail?

Can you seriously read that and not hear the sarcasm? It comes in loud and clear to me!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-02-14, 12:43

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Well, yeah, now you point it out to me I do see the sarcasm but the tone of the article was serious and he was referring to that paper as one which printed something he believes in. Maybe if he had said "even the Daily Mail.....". So, yep, the sarcasm went over my head this morning as indeed it might with anyone who's never heard of the Daily Mail.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, May-03-14, 09:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Whoa... wrong thread!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sat, May-03-14 at 11:45.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 11:49

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%

Mark (MDA) makes it very clear that your carb intake and your protein intake should reflect where you are in life as to workouts and what you're trying to achieve as far as weight loss and/or building muscle.

Also, there's a difference between low carb and very low carb. Most Americans on a typical diet eat 200-300 carbs a day. So, anything under that would be low carb to them, however they wouldn't lose weight that way.

I also do quite badly with the VLC. Its not carb flu, it never goes away and I become a flamming *w*itch. Not to mention, physically I have no energy and my memory disappears. I guess I wouldn't have been the one to invent the wheel back in Grok's time.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-09-14, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 261/248/175 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Why can' we all just get along? Lol.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-14, 21:21

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/183/125 Female 5'4"
BF:31%
Progress: 28%
Default Why the paleo hate for low carb?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
However we feel about the prestige of the Daily Mail, I like that this bit about tooth decay and vitamin d made it into the mainstream press.

I guess prestige depends, too. It's possible that it's well respected, even if not deservedly so. I sort of doubt that Mark Sisson would give anything credence just on the Daily Mail's say-so.

I am deficient in vit D, and have been for some time. For years I was on prescription vit D, but just switched to taking D3 everyday. It was difficult for me with my short term memory problems to remember when to take it, and I have been bugging my dr. about why it was d2 and not d3. So as an RN, I bit the bullet and dr'd myself. Please do not follow my example. I plan to have him do a draw next week to see if I am in normal range.

As for as diet, I should follow dr wahl's protocol (paleo) and I do to a certain degree, but I just mainly cut out starches and sweets, and eat pretty much anything else, and it's working well for me. I am afraid to add back in potatoes (don't like rice) because that was my main craving and the hardest to buck. Also diet pepsi. However, since gastric bypass still can't drink carbonated beverages, even years later. I do remember trying a diet pepsi about 3 months after, and it tasted so gross!! I stick with ice water now.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 02:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

SuzLee,
There are some links I put in this thread about getting your VitD from the sun, and sunburn Resistence through diet.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=460322
It took a while after eating Paleo, but finally mine are high enough through sun in the summer and D3 in winter. D2 did nothing.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-14, 07:51
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Quote:

However, he called the Daily Mail the most prestigious publication in the history of the world. Presumably the U.K.'s Daily Mail? I would love to hear what members on the other side of the pond have to say about that because it certainly didn't used to be when I lived there. It was a tabloid, with a seriousness level somewhere in the middle between The Sun and The Times (for U.S. members that would be somewhere between the National Enquirer and the NY Times). Anyway, using such an exaggerated claim to prove a point just made me wonder about any other sources he has ever cited, which is a pity. Maybe he was joking, but if you don't know the paper you wouldn't get the joke and he would be aware of that.

I think Mark's comment on th Daily Mail is meant to be ironic - as in you really wouldn't expect something sensible being written in this rag - and yet it had this paleo lifestyle friendly article.

The Daily Mail is a cross between Fox news and someone shouting 'fire' in a crowded cinema.