Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 06:04

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%
Default white tongue

My tongue is worse than before I started the diet. When I went on te candida diet it wasn't white, maybe in the back. Now that I'm trying to be more agressive it's pretty badly coated. Is this part of the die-off?
I take coconut oil, isn't it supposed to kill candida on contact?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 08:09
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunkany
My tongue is worse than before I started the diet. When I went on te candida diet it wasn't white, maybe in the back. Now that I'm trying to be more agressive it's pretty badly coated. Is this part of the die-off?
I take coconut oil, isn't it supposed to kill candida on contact?
No, coconut oil doesn't kill yeast on contact, it's systemic.

Are you taking the oregano oil?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 08:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 143/143/200 Male 6 foot 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I'm afriad I think you're mistaken, Zul. The active ingredient in coconut oil is the various fats (e.g. caprylic acid) that tend to have an antifungal effect. To that end, cocounut oil will only kill something it's in contact with - like oregano oil and olive leaf. In addition, I haver not found coco oil to be a beneficial antifungal. One could imagine that the oil - being very easily digestible - will not last long in your gut and therefore not have time to exert a significant antifungal effect.

As for the white tongue - I have the same problem! My gut problems and white tongue were exacerbated AFTER starting the "anti candida" diet. In addition, now that I've done it for a long time (nearly a year now), I can no longer tolerate all sorts of foods I could tolerate before. Once upon a time, there was nothing I couldn't eat. I can put high strength Oil of Oregano on my tongue and the yeast takes a small hit and then is back in no time.

I speculate that a diet rich in meat and low in veggies is actually bad for your gut flora (the good guys) while Candida doesn't seem to have much problem living in it. I have read on other webistes that meat diets are bad for your bowels primarily because of how the meat putrifies in your gut and I think it also tends to raise bowel pH (you want your pH to be low in your gut - candida can't stand an acidic pH). So keep taking probiotics!!! Real "live" sauekraut, kefir and other fermented foods are a good bet if u can handle them.

I have also read that if you follow and extremely strict anti-candida diet, the candida - instead of giving up - will burrow into the lining of you gut and eat of your blood sugar, leading to 'leaky gut' syndrome. This theory does fit in with my own experiences, but I don't know if it's true.

That said, I don't want to frighten you away from the diet. I am not sure how true any of this is. I do, however, believe that since giving up carbs, I can tolerate carbs much less well than before. For example, last year before the whole anti-candida diet, I would occasionally go on a "sugar binge". Physiological, psysological, I don't know - but there were periods when I just HAD to have sugar. And I'd have a LOT of it. Now, this always made me fat, but otherwise, it had no side effects. I felt really energised! ("wired" is more appropriate). Nowadays, if I ever give into a sugar craving - even in a small way - I get totally sick. So, I actually have gotten worse over time rather than better. Taking carbs out of my diet will NOT clear up the thrush in my mouth in any period of time. I do not believe it is remotely possible to get rid of candida imbalance using diet alone. Strengthening your immune system and replacing good flora is far more important IMO.

So what's the solution? I don't know. Perhaps we need more fiber? I remember once I started eating a LOT of psyllium, and my tongue went black! Interesting. But it can hurt my gut if I take too much. Thanks for reminding me though! Fiber... must go get some.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:06
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Yukumo
A white tongue doesn't contain yeast on the tongue but is a symptom of a healthy or impaired body system.

A white tongue can be caused by many illnesses/compromised immune system diseases including yeast and leaky gut.

I agree you cannot treat any illness with diet alone. And if you have leaky gut, it just gets worse if you do't take steps to heal it. So I don't think low carb diet is the culprit but rather unhealed gut which leads to greater food intolerances, malabsorbtion of nutrients, compromised immune system and development of immunological diseases of which candida is one.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:32

BF:

Thanks Zul, this was great to read. I didn't know that there is no candida on the top of my tongue, it makews sense that it is a symptom. So it could be other bugs, too, huh? I haven't got the ooo yet, next shopping trip.... I'm still using coconut oil and garlic. And SCD yogurt. I'm also planning to get lactobacillus sporogenes, anybody know this?

Yakumo, my diet is not low in veggies. I have veggies with every meal (low carb veggies). I do eat more meat than before, and I don't buy the putrification theory. I used to be much healthier when I was s child and ate a high fat diet, before I got brainwashed by the low-fat lie.
I know I keep going back to the eskimos, but they would all be really sick on an all-meat/high fat diet. Actually the opposite is true.
Psyllium is very abrasive to the already damaged gut lining. Fiber is not as beneficial as many claim.
Your body will adjust to the high fat diet, just give it some time.

OK, so the white tongue is a die-off symptom?
I know I need more supplements, but I'm on a very tight budget. I should add enzymes and HCL and OOO etc. etc.....
I already take a good multi with a lot of B-s, extra zinc, folic acid, D, cal-mag, cod liver oil, coconut oil, and yogurt.
I can't find a vitamin C without starches and sugars and other fillers in the Pharmacy. Any brand suggestions?....so I've not added extra C yet.

So is there anything to do with the tongue or I have to wait till the candida dies and it will go away?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:45
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Thanks Zul, this was great to read. I didn't know that there is no candida on the top of my tongue, it makews sense that it is a symptom. So it could be other bugs, too, huh? I haven't got the ooo yet, next shopping trip.... I'm still using coconut oil and garlic. And SCD yogurt. I'm also planning to get lactobacillus sporogenes, anybody know this?

Yakumo, my diet is not low in veggies. I have veggies with every meal (low carb veggies). I do eat more meat than before, and I don't buy the putrification theory. I used to be much healthier when I was s child and ate a high fat diet, before I got brainwashed by the low-fat lie.
I know I keep going back to the eskimos, but they would all be really sick on an all-meat/high fat diet. Actually the opposite is true.
Psyllium is very abrasive to the already damaged gut lining. Fiber is not as beneficial as many claim.

I know I need more supplements, but I'm on a very tight budget. I should add enzymes and HCL and OOO etc. etc.....
I already take a good multi with a lot of B-s, extra zinc, folic acid, D, cal-mag, cod liver oil, coconut oil, and yogurt.
I can't find a vitamin C without starches and sugars and other fillers in the Pharmacy. Any brand suggestions?....so I've not added extra C yet.

So is there anything to do with the tongue or I have to wait till the candida dies and it will go away?
If you're on a tight budget the most important additions are vitamin C and OOO. If you have leaky gut or your digestive system needs healing then aloe vera and alfalfa are very important.

Rite Aid has a Pharmasure brand that is equivelent to GNC but a lot cheaper. They often have 2 for 1 sales.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 11:45
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:

If you're on a tight budget the most important additions are vitamin C and OOO. If you have leaky gut or your digestive system needs healing then aloe vera juice and alfalfa are very important.

Rite Aid has a Pharmasure brand that is equivelent to GNC but a lot cheaper. They often have 2 for 1 sales.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:04

BF:

Thanks. alfalfa and aloe vera are not allowed on SCD.
How much vitamin C? My multi has only 150 mgs. that is 250 percent. Also, when to take it, with meal or empty stomach, with what supplements?
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:07
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Thanks. alfalfa and aloe vera are not allowed on SCD.
How much vitamin C? My multi has only 150 mgs. that is 250 percent. Also, when to take it, with meal or empty stomach, with what supplements?
You can take vitamin C anytime, on an empty stotmach or not.

At least 6,000 mg a day. Up to 20,000 mg per day.

Take 3 multis a day.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:34

BF:

OK, thanks! The A is not going to be a problem in the multi?
I also take 2 tbs cod liver oil and I'm going to add one more. 1 teaspoon has 4000 IU. So that's 24000 IU+12000. The multi has 4000 IU carotene and 6000 IU palmitate.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 12:40
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
OK, thanks! The A is not going to be a problem in the multi?
I also take 2 tbs cod liver oil and I'm going to add one more. 1 teaspoon has 4000 IU. So that's 24000 IU+12000. The multi has 4000 IU carotene and 6000 IU palmitate.
The A won't be a problem. The A from the carotene is practically useless and certaily not toxic.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 02:14

BF:

Hi Zul,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have leaky gut. Maybe even IBD. I get frequent abdominal pains and a rash that 'seems' to be caused by inflammation. It's a horrible, low grade feeling, very rarely a stong acute pain.

I did give aloe a try once, as usual, didn't help. Maybe you have to take it for a long time to see results?

Can you give me a tip on beneficial ways to treat leaky gut? I take L-glutamine and I'm hoping to get some DMSO too. But I believe that, unless you restore some semblence of good gut flora, the leaky gut will always have a hard time healing.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 05:39
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumo
Hi Zul,

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have leaky gut. Maybe even IBD. I get frequent abdominal pains and a rash that 'seems' to be caused by inflammation. It's a horrible, low grade feeling, very rarely a stong acute pain.

I did give aloe a try once, as usual, didn't help. Maybe you have to take it for a long time to see results?

Can you give me a tip on beneficial ways to treat leaky gut? I take L-glutamine and I'm hoping to get some DMSO too. But I believe that, unless you restore some semblence of good gut flora, the leaky gut will always have a hard time healing.
The best treatment I have found for leaky gut is plenty of vitamin C, Peptidase complete with meals, and 2 ounces of Aloe Vera juice taken just before bed. Alfalfa tablets are also beneficial.

Most herbal/supplement treatments take at least 3 weeks-3 months to see results.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 02:11

BF:

Thanks!

I also find that the number one thing is avoiding allergens. Very hard consideing how numerous they are...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-05-06, 19:28

Plan: none
Stats: 132/132/132 Male 149cm
BF:
Progress:
Default coated tongue

hello all

i have had the same prob for years, i went thru the doctors prescribed rubbish, tried to avoid all sugars, i had a biopsy done, which revealed light traces of candida, its being ongoing for 9 years now, my wife has it, and i noticed my 5 year old son has it to, i recently had my tonsils out due to an infection, at the same time i asked for another look into it, the ent stated that it was normal, i have used oregano oil, and various mixtures with bi carb.

i usually just brush it all off then repeat 2 daily to keep a sort of normal looking tongue. i was wondering if any of you have tried threelac at all, its quite expensive, but i am willing to try anything to rid from me & my family
any thought views or tips is greatly appreciated.